Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-06-2016, 14:41   #1

Dean Cat - one engine or two

I have recently purchased a Dean 365 catamaran that needs to be completed.
I have the choice of either installing a larger central engine or 2 smaller engines in either hull. The later will obviously be more expensive and I am trying to find out if it is worth going to the added expense and hassle of converting to two. Is there anyone that can advise me and also what size engines would be suitable ?
Greg.Howes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 22:14   #2

Re: Dean Cat - one engine or two

Is it designed for a single central engine and if so what configuration?

If it's designed for an outboard, single would be a nice option assuming you can tie it in with the rudders. We had a 34' cat with single outboard and it as nearly as good as twins.

If it's the diesel/stillete outdrive I would be leary. We know lots of people who have them and they require a lot more care to keep in good condition.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 22:21   #3

We have decided on installing 2 Yanmar 3my30 engines and have removed the single central engine. We are looking for someone that may have a similar boat that could advise us on the location of the engines. Dean manufacturing has closed down and when we bought the boat it came with no plans. I would imagine that we need to modify the hull of the boat to Fit the sail drives. Any photos or drawing would be really appreciated.
Greg.Howes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 02:04   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg.Howes View Post
We have decided on installing 2 Yanmar 3my30 engines and have removed the single central engine. We are looking for someone that may have a similar boat that could advise us on the location of the engines. Dean manufacturing has closed down and when we bought the boat it came with no plans. I would imagine that we need to modify the hull of the boat to Fit the sail drives. Any photos or drawing would be really appreciated.
on the prout elite 37,the twin engine modification,that replaced the single engine layout,the engines are mounted under the aft berths close to the bulkhead at the front of the berth.

to balance the increased weight of the engines,and keep the trim right, the fuel tank located in the cockpit was also moved to the after anchor locker,against the bulkhead that seperates the locker from the accommodation at the front of the vessel.

in all the twin engine models the waterline is about 6 inches deeper than the single engine models,(making the boat considerably heavier.)

the sail drives also add quite a bit of drag,so folding props would be recommended imo.

the prout had twin 18hp engines spectd,making twin 30 hp engines very over powered for your conversion imo.mine has a single 33hp,that is more than powerful enough to get 8.5 knots under power.
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine