Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-11-2013, 01:42   #16

Boat: dean 400 catamaran 40 ft Quick Silver
Re: Dean 400 - Can Anyone Advise ?

135 for a dean hey. What year is she and has she done much chartering. That's a pretty good price if the boat is in good shape.
Old 13-11-2013, 08:53   #17
Marine Service Provider

Location: Floating around, usually somewhere between Miami & Key West
Boat: Kit Cat

Don, I was the former owner of your boat that sailed her around the Caribbean for 5 years. 1st, believe very little of info that armchair sailors give you. Your boat is a bulletproof tank, obviously, you learned that on your trip up. 2nd, to the guy who said she can't stand on her own hulls, I stored that boat every year on the hard, on her hulls, when I was down there in the Caribbean. You are thinking Leopards dude, stop spreading in your owns words, "rumours", on boats you know nothing about.
double exposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2013, 05:42   #18

Richard Woods - well known Catamaran designer said he sailed on a Dean 400 and that they were poorly built----that's good enough for me to stay away. he and be contacted at www.woodsdesigns.com
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2013, 06:17   #19

Boat: Dean 400, 40' catamaran, Daruma

Wow, quite a diversity of answers one receives.
My wife and I live on an older Dean 400 in Florida and have for the past 4 or so years. Prior to that we sailed it from Grenada in a year that had weather similar to what this year is shaping up to be, front after front of cold wind from the NE. I have to agree with the comments of built like a tank. We have crossed the tongue of the ocean in large swells that kept others nestled in at Chub Cay, doing double digits over the ground while eating cereal in the cockpit quite comfortably. We left the Dominican Republic a couple days after the earthquake that devastated Haiti on the same island, 14 foot swells off the starboard all day, a few washed over the starboard bow and cabin roof and soaked me trying to catch a few winks on the port side of the cockpit. It is tough and safe, no doubt.
Due to the age of the vessel, we have put a small fortune in a seemingly constant refit and if I had ever built anything with the type of fit and finish that seems to be acceptable in boat building I would have been ashamed but I think it worthy of it as it keeps us safe and comfortable. When I was looking for a vessel the criteria for me was solid fiberglass below the water line, no sandwich, and tons of bridge clearance, this has those and I could afford it. Getting info from anyone regarding what the mast rake should be or what the tension on the rigging should be given the moment of the mast and all that is near impossible so you're pretty much on your own with details.
Any manufacturer pretty much only lays down the solid structure of the vessel and everything else added is made by someone else.
I'd be happy to answer any questions you can come up with regarding this vessel and that I am able to answer. I'm still learning about it myself.
Dave
bikerbych(at)Hotmail.com
dlockhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2013, 13:04   #20

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliems View Post
I am considering a Dean 400 in great shape and for 135k ... Does it get any better than that in this market?
No way to know with out more information. There is nothing wrong with Deans per sea. My cat is in a harbor where lots of other cats anchor and I have been on several different makes. The biggest difference is condition. At that price the boat is probably over five years old, most likely more. At that age the boat may or may not need lots of upgrades.

As for Deans compared to other cats lets keep in mind that at some point the wind and waves can sink any boat. It is more important to watch the weather than to try and find a boat that can go out in any conditions. I rather be in port and wish I was at sea than be at sea and wish I was in port.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2013, 13:17   #21

Send a message via Skype™ to Stuarth44

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredandrebecca View Post
Hello, we're a family of five experienced monohull sailors in New Zealand, looking to buy a cruising catamaran to circumnavigate. We're looking at a Dean 400 that's for sale. Being multihull novices, we're looking for any advice about this yacht. Any advice at all would be very welcome (we're struggling to get an independant view of the Dean 400). Can anyone help? regards, Fred and Rebecca
from another Mono Man who has had cats first one was age 18--now over 60
Performance is severely punished when you load for cruising long
In the last Darwin to Indo rally the owners of my last build mono, beat the cats into each and every port , sailing to Vane
you can change your mind, she is for sale
Something to think on)
Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	nimbus 11 anchored Thailand.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	146.3 KB
ID:	70625  
Stuarth44 is offline   Reply With Quote