Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-12-2012, 16:40   #16

Boat: between boats
Re: Damaged 2012 Lagoon 450, Only $150K

I like the way you can see the ground through the bottom of the hull in the forard berth in the last photo!

Makes me appreciate my kevlar reinforced monolithic hulls all the more but not sure even they would have helped in that salvage!
Barra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2012, 00:48   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

One other minor issue to the buy it and whack some fibreglass on it approach, good luck with getting insurance!
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2012, 01:40   #18
Marine Service Provider

Factor can you please add me to your ignore list or otherwise ill get a moderator to do it for you?

Thank you.
ausaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2012, 05:06   #19
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Mate, you want to put me on ignore you go right ahead.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2012, 10:53   #20

Boat: having an Isara 45 cat built

Ahem...um, yeah...so, anyways... I would really like to learn from this crash of the Lagoon 450. I feel terrible that a new owner lost their boat so quickly. Reefs scare me; I sail in Lake Michigan! But our future plans involve a larger catamaran in ocean waters. While my sailing experience will be okay, I will go into this with little experience involving the dangers that the oceans offer. No volcanos have made their way to the deep waters of the Great Lakes...when it's deep it's deep. So I ask all of you...should my wife and I charter a boat in those waters to help get a feel for it? I don't want to get off on a tangent about forward facing sonar because there is plenty of info on that subject here on CF, but that is an option I'm seriously considering (with an alarm!). What can we all learn from this?
bryguy67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2012, 11:03   #21

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryguy67 View Post
Reefs scare me; I sail in Lake Michigan! But our future plans involve a larger catamaran in ocean waters. While my sailing experience will be okay, I will go into this with little experience involving the dangers that the oceans offer. No volcanos have made their way to the deep waters of the Great Lakes...when it's deep it's deep. So I ask all of you...should my wife and I charter a boat in those waters to help get a feel for it? I don't want to get off on a tangent about forward facing sonar because there is plenty of info on that subject here on CF, but that is an option I'm seriously considering (with an alarm!). What can we all learn from this?
You can learn to keep a good lookout rather than putting the boat on autopilot and going down below. As I said in an earlier post BVI is about the least dangerous waters you can charter in. I don't think I'm being too harsh in saying that if this happens to you in the BVI it's your own stupid fault..
Old 24-12-2012, 11:12   #22
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

That's a real shocking amount of damage. I guess they are heavy and none to strong.
Old 24-12-2012, 11:16   #23

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Damage was apparently from pulling it off the reef.
Old 24-12-2012, 11:56   #24

Boat: Gemini 105MC 34 ft hull#753

This looks like the damage that MrB had on his Gemini 105Mc last year and I think it is cleaned up and fixed and sailing now.
Old 24-12-2012, 12:13   #25

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

I guess the logical way to fix this disaster is to get moulds from the builder and laminate the lower sections, ripping the interiors, and gluing the lower sections to the remain of the hulls, or make new bottoms from scracht, nahhhhh is crazy,,,
better to sale the interior stuff, rig, winches, and all the rest of the gear and trash the hulls.

We have 3 months ago here in the boatyard a similar case, a 45 hig tech monohull went to the rocks and bang for 1 full day in the reef , the owner dont notice nothing because he live in a house in the other side of the island and the boat is moored in a remote location with a mooring, the boatyard take care of the salvage and he tow the boat with air bags to haulout , big hole in one side 4x7 ft , rudder missing, all inside trashed by water, engine, dc, etc... because the boat is made with a couple of layers of Kevlar no one here in the boatyard take the challenge, finally after striping the boat , mast , winches , hatchs etc... the boat is towed to 1000 ft and sunk..... end of the history...
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2012, 12:31   #26
cruiser

Boat: Hitchhiker, Catamaran, 40'

This boat is probably, at this point being sold off by the insurance company. It would be interesting to see who gets it and how low a price it will go for. I am sure the owner has been fully compensated as the value of it can not be disputed since it was brand new. This could be a great deal for someone looking to "live the dream". Get it over to St. Croix and have Gold Coast Yachts rebuilt it. I will bet that it goes for under $100,000
Thumbs Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2012, 13:02   #27
Marine Service Provider

Factor - please add me to your ignore list and then whenever I post you won't write back with meaningless banter in response. I'll then reciprocate by adding you to mine. If not I'll get the moderators to add each of us.
Old 24-12-2012, 14:49   #28

Boat: Lagoon 440

Having bought written off boats from Club Marine in the past prior to them re-instating and reselling them themselves i just don't get the negative attitude to a repair like this.

Glass is fantastic to repair as stressed areas from the UNCOATED are is quite easy to see.

A repair like this would open up all advantages with regard to opportunities to do it how it should be done, Lagoon simply run all cabling and water supply hoses in the bilge zip tied together it would be ideal to run these separate and in a ship-like manner.

Likewise there would be an opportunity to cap the keel leaving a bilge pot to draw water from.

Insurance is not a problem provided the repair is done in a professional way, in this day and age and with this kind of money involved it would be smart to get a surveyor to oversee photographing and noting at critical stages to satisfy the "Insurance Question".

A project like this.........LET ME AT IT!!!!!
Old 24-12-2012, 15:21   #29
Marine Service Provider

Hear hear Lagoon4us!

There are those like yourself that get right into these projects and then those that sit there from their armchairs wondering how you made so much money from it - that's called jealousy. As long as there is a balanced mix of the do'ers and consumers in the market we are all good.

I liken this to me submitting a $20k tender for a damaged aircraft worth $300k that literally cost $10 to get airborne again! True story. You've gotta be in it to win it.

Fiberglass is great because it's so cheap to work with. All you need is some fabric, some foam, plywood, a few chemicals and some creative spirit. You ought to see some of the fiberglass bits I have lying around, it's a great medium to be creative with.
Old 24-12-2012, 16:19   #30

Boat: Mac 26X

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausaviator View Post
Factor - please add me to your ignore list and then whenever I post you won't write back with meaningless banter in response. I'll then reciprocate by adding you to mine. If not I'll get the moderators to add each of us.
Sheeesh you two...get a room!!!! This is PM stuff, where civilized folk need not see it, reasonable people can disagree.

There is simply no question that this COULD be repaired. And as strong or stronger than ever. BUT...based on what it sells for and what it would cost to repair....could it ever be valued at or above the costs? I have my doubts, but it's a project way beyond me! So I may be wrong.

It would also be worth knowing, if our BVI friends could find out, if the salver was penalized (paid less?) or if it was just "how it goes."

Tags
lagoon