Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 28-12-2012, 15:09   #76

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54
Re: Damaged 2012 Lagoon 450, Only $150K

Come on! $150K is asking price... my guess is that MarkJ will buy it for $10K if they throw in the dinghy. It would sure be beyond my ability to take on a project like that! Phil

Old 28-12-2012, 15:39   #77

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagoon4us View Post
Wow you believe my question was hostile? If so you have my apologies.

My response was based on clarifying why someone would think any FRP boat would survive such an event, it was the event itself that screwed this boat not hypothetical deficiencies in 'Modern Cat's' structure.

Would a picture of a CQR anchor bent and twisted be of value to this thread with the comment 'Cqr's fail in coral'???

I mentioned Beneteau as an instance to simply point out that 'Modern' Cat manufacturers build mono's as well.

Once again i thought there was no attack or nastiness in my response...
English is not everyone's first language, and even native speakers don't always use it to it's full potential. Meaning can be lost, especially in small "bites".

To be fair, I also had to re-read that post several times before I understood the point of it.

On my first read, I thought he was claiming that the owner of that Cat had drilled a 2" hole in his hull, and that was why it had failed!

Old 28-12-2012, 15:41   #78

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
The dinghy looks fine.

I wouldn't touch this thing with a barge pole.

I hope no one except a experienced boat builder buys it. It's just a nest of very expensive tears.
I think this one needs to go back to the factory - but they probably won't touch it either.

I hope there was insurance.
Old 28-12-2012, 15:47   #79

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Surely the sensible thing would be to strip the hull of all fittings, box them into an ISO container and ship them to the manufacturer. Cheap SA labour clean and service the lot then rebuild into a new GRP hull. What is the value of just the hull? 30% perhaps, if its less then it might pay.

Pete
Old 28-12-2012, 15:58   #80

Boat: Lagoon 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Surely the sensible thing would be to strip the hull of all fittings, box them into an ISO container and ship them to the manufacturer. Cheap SA labour clean and service the lot then rebuild into a new GRP hull. What is the value of just the hull? 30% perhaps, if its less then it might pay.

Pete
The problem with Lagoon and all other large volume manufacturers is they simply do not buy into this type of thing.

Recently i priced a SS bow fitting to replace a damaged unit, their response after waiting 3 weeks was $3200:00 for it. Our problem was we are in Croatia so i packed it up and put it (10kg) in our luggage and straightened it at a local workshop in Gladstone on our next return to Australia, $150:00.

Prices for components are exorbitant, i guess because most requests will come from insurance companies.

A repair on this 450 can only be achieved by a very experienced person and as said before it will have to be done in or close to the yard it currently sits in. So really their won't be many contenders, they'd get 40+k for the above deck mechanical items rig/sails/winches etc...
Old 28-12-2012, 16:02   #81

Boat: Hunter legend 356
Walk away. It will never be right.
Old 28-12-2012, 16:50   #82
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 46' custom cat

While you guys were screwing around and arguing about it I put down a deposit. 150K for a brand-new Lagoon! Whoo-hoo! The broker did mention it needs a bottom job.

www.sailblogs.com/member/rumdoxy

Come to the dark side. We have cookies.
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2012, 17:33   #83

Boat: Lavezzi 40, Pourpre

Read Peter Bernfeld's blog about how he went fixing his cat after it ended up on a reef in Fiji it's a great read.

'Sarf & West mate, Sarf & West' - Pete Bernfeld
Old 28-12-2012, 17:44   #84

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikereed100 View Post
While you guys were screwing around and arguing about it I put down a deposit. 150K for a brand-new Lagoon! Whoo-hoo! The broker did mention it needs a bottom job.

A very good repairer will put in two new hulls for about $40,000-00, and it will be better than new,

You probably could have got it from the insurance company for less than 50 grand,
I bought my Gemini back from the insurance company for 15 Grand, AS-IS, where is, Still fully rigged on the hardstand,
Repairs from the Insurance quotes were $128.000-00
My Total rebuild costs including trucking it to Melbourne, Less than $50,000-00, and it will be better than new, all new electrics and batterys,Etc

I did have both hulls ripped out of mine, Nothing above 4 feet from the bottom of the hulls is damaged in any way,
I got a good buy, Bought my own boat back, It will be fully repaired and sailing again, I get an almost brand new boat back again for almost a third of what it originally cost me,
And it will be as safe and straight as it was originally, If not more so, now I have removed the thru hulls under the boat,

Fibreglass versus rocks and coral, The Fibregass loses everytime,
Plastic can be very easily repaired by a professional Builder.and its not that Expensive,
Old 28-12-2012, 17:49   #85

Exactly!!!!!!!
Old 28-12-2012, 19:38   #86
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 46' custom cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
A very good repairer will put in two new hulls for about $40,000-00, and it will be better than new,

You probably could have got it from the insurance company for less than 50 grand,
I bought my Gemini back from the insurance company for 15 Grand, AS-IS, where is, Still fully rigged on the hardstand,
Repairs from the Insurance quotes were $128.000-00
My Total rebuild costs including trucking it to Melbourne, Less than $50,000-00, and it will be better than new, all new electrics and batterys,Etc

I did have both hulls ripped out of mine, Nothing above 4 feet from the bottom of the hulls is damaged in any way,
I got a good buy, Bought my own boat back, It will be fully repaired and sailing again, I get an almost brand new boat back again for almost a third of what it originally cost me,
And it will be as safe and straight as it was originally, If not more so, now I have removed the thru hulls under the boat,

Fibreglass versus rocks and coral, The Fibregass loses everytime,
Plastic can be very easily repaired by a professional Builder.and its not that Expensive,
Don't get me wrong, having done so myself I understand about rebuilding wrecks and I'm just fool enough to take on a job like this (see my blog for proof) but the hull repair would be the easy part. Remember, this boat was submerged up to the cabin top for who knows how long. Once the hull is repaired it will likely need new engines, electrical system, electronics, plumbing, stove, refrigeration, interior furnishings etc, etc, etc. Sure it could be rebuilt better than new with design changes that could make it the nicest Lagoon afloat, but at what cost?
Compared to the cost of a used boat in good shape? Sometimes free is too expensive.

www.sailblogs.com/member/rumdoxy

Come to the dark side. We have cookies.
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2012, 19:49   #87

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikereed100 View Post
Don't get me wrong, having done so I understand about rebuilding wrecks and I'm just fool enough to take on a job like this (see my blog for proof) but the hull repair would be the easy part. Remember, this boat was submerged up to the cabin top for who knows how long. Once the hull is repaired it will likely need new engines, electrical system, electronics, plumbing, stove, refrigeration, interior furnishings etc, etc. It could be rebuilt better than new, but at what cost?
Compared to the cost of a used boat in good shape? Sometimes free is too expensive.
You have to do your home work first, Some times free is too expensive, So True,
Old 28-12-2012, 20:01   #88

Boat: Lagoon 440 Pathfinder
I will give you $10k right now.

My 440 will look cool with new sails and some of the other stuff i will rip off it.
Lots of gear on it will be fine with a bit of love.
Old 28-12-2012, 23:15   #89

If engines have been flushed, metho then diesel they will be rebuildable, depends on the impact whether the legs struck, so many variables but the truth is as you say, sometimes even free is too much BUT certainly worth investigating IF interested.

We are too busy cruising to get mixed up in itchy, scratchy weeks on end...
Old 29-12-2012, 06:01   #90
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore" Ben393 "Breathless"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagoon4us View Post
If engines have been flushed,.
Doubt if the engines have been flushed. In cases like this, unless a private individual has an interest in it, the boat is hauled and just sits there. The salvageable parts will slowly "disappear" and the rest will rot. The insurer has no interest in doing anything except get rid of it for a few bucks. No use incurring storage costs for a wreck.

I once saw a Bahamian dive on a day old wreck (completely submerged) in the Bahamas and remove the diesel. He had it up on the dock and running in no time. So the engines are salvageable, just have to be quick.

Vasco is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
lagoon

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: