Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-11-2008, 06:41   #1

dagger rudders

Dagger rudders seems to a simple and efficient solution for light weight and smaller multihulls. When you have daggerboards also the boat can easy fell dry for under bottom maintanence. I guess they're also simple to maintain and repair because everything can be done above the water.
I'm thinking about installing them on a new cat project but I'd like to gain some experience from builders/users.
Anybody willing to share?
tallboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2008, 06:57   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: PDQ 36 & Atlantic 42
The challenge with dagger rudders is to control venting from the surface. As you turn, water flowing over the lea side of the rudder pulls air down the full span of the rudder, dramatically reducing its effectiveness, and creating much more drag for a given amount of steering power. This is why big daggerboard cats have fixed spade rudders. Balanced spade rudders require the least amount of steering effort, making autopilots possible.
sandy daugherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2008, 09:09   #3

Thanks Sandy.
I've seen dagger rudders on huge proas and windvane selfsteering is more efficient with non-hydraulic steering systems. Nowadays things getting more and more complicated which is very comfortable - but when they fail......
tallboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2008, 04:19   #4

I have lifting spade rudders. They will also kick-up on impact, hopefully avoiding damage. Simple and light system, but I did opt for hydraulic steering - I want multiple helm stations, and hydraulics are the easiest way to do this. There's a photo of the rudder and cassette here: http://www.cruisersforum.com/gallery...imageuser=3477
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2008, 09:53   #5

Boat: 31' Corsair/Farrier(RIP) trimaran. Lauwersmeer Cruiser in Europe canals. 19' Lightning
There is 40' aluminum cat for sale on Bainbridge Island, Wa. that has kick up rudders inset into the transom step. Search yachtworld for cats in the Pacific NW. It should turn up. The broker is very nice and might share what he knows. I think its a one off.
ejlindahl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dagger boards