Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-03-2018, 22:14   #1

Boat: currently boatless
Cyclone insurance Australia

Hello all,
We are in the throws of chasing insurance quotes and to be quite frank its getting very very restrictive for cruising sailers. We were with Topsail insurance who have been very good to date but the new policy had me gasping. In all our past insurance policies we were always covered for cyclones provided we made every effort to protect the vessel and document what was undertaken. The excess did increase in these situations to 10% the value of the vessel but I beleiveed this was fair given the circumstances.
Normally our boat would be on home waters in NSW and not subject to risk during cyclone season but during one season we left our boat in a "cyclone" rated marina in the Whitsundays knowing we were sufficiently secure in the event of a cyclone.
This year everything has changed. Topsail are not insuring any vessel for cyclone damage regardless it being in cyclone season or not. Nil, zip, nada. Any damage occasioned to a vessel will not be covered. I take it this also related to any damage that is caused by your vessel to any other vessel or marina.
While this will not stop our cruising it will restrict how far we now go north in case we have to bolt south in case of an out of season cyclone. Needless worry, I dont think so just a case of weighing up the risks.
I am checking with other main stream insurers to see if this is happeing elsewhwere as I am led to beleive it is.
I know people who reside in marinas in FNQ and if this proves correct they will not be insured during a cyclone. if no insurance is a marina going to continue to allow them to stay . Points to ponder.

Greg H
Currently looking for a replacement catamaran
ozsailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2018, 22:17   #2

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler
Re: Cyclone insurance Australia

Pantenaes do cyclone with conditions
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2018, 22:37   #3

Boat: FreeFlow 50 cat

Pantaenius (sp) cover you if you do the right thing, such as secure your boat up a mangrove creek well tied in with adequate lines. From my discussions with them, they would prefer that to leaving it at risk in marinas with inadequate protection.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
BigBeakie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2018, 23:06   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBeakie View Post
Pantaenius (sp) cover you if you do the right thing, such as secure your boat up a mangrove creek well tied in with adequate lines. From my discussions with them, they would prefer that to leaving it at risk in marinas with inadequate protection.

As would I.
Old 25-03-2018, 23:39   #5

Thankyou for the replies to date. I have sent off for quotes to Pantaneus and waiting their response.

Greg H
Old 28-03-2018, 03:18   #6

Boat: Lagoon 380 #241

Nautilus Marine covers us for named storms but imposes increased excesses if making a claim due to one. An extra AUD$5k or 5% on total claim, whichever the greatest. We avoid being in cyclone territory during the season nowadays, having lived in Innisfail, FNQ for 33 years & being in the thick of Winifred, Larry & Yasi to name just 3. It's not because of insurance that we head south November to April, but more to protect our floating home & lives. We consider the insurance, as always, is a necessary expense for many reasons.
Seabreeze, Lagoon 380 #241
Innisfail, North Queensland, Australia ... Cruising the waters of the Great Barrier Reef
www.sea-breeze.com.au
gspeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2018, 03:45   #7

Hello all,
just a bit of an update. Received a very competitive quote from Pataenius with the following clause regarding named storms/cyclones

""Any loss or damage caused by a named tropical storm is excluded from this cover. This exclusion
applies between July 1st and November 15th annually in the area between the Latitudes 10°N
and 30.5°N (but does not apply for the Canary islands and Cape Verde) and between November
1st and May 1st annually in the area between the Latitudes 10°S and 30°S.
A Named Tropical Storm is defined as a tropical cyclone which is given a name by a regional
agency such as the National Hurricane Center or the Australian Bureau of Meteorology or similar
which are advisor y and warning centres of the World Meteorological Organization WMO"

No deviation is allowed from the above. 30 Degrees south is roughly just above Coffs Harbour in New South Wales.

Regards
Greg H
Old 01-04-2018, 23:24   #8

Is that the whole clause or a snipped version?
This is the clause on mine which has similar wording but quite a bit extra.

Quote:
PA N TA E N I U S „ N A M E D T RO P I C A L S TO R M S “ C L AU S E

– “Named Tropical Storms” Clause –
1. Definition
A Named Tropical Storm is defined as a tropical cyclone which is given a name by a regional agency such as the National Hurricane
Center or the Australian Bureau of Meteorology or similar which are advisory and warning centers of the World Meteorological
Organization (WMO Severe Weather Information Centre).
2. Application and duration of this clause
This clause is operative between July 1st and November 15th annually in the area between the Latitudes 10°N and 30.5°N (but
does not apply for the Canary islands and Cape Verde) and between November 1st and May 1st annually in the area between the
Latitudes 10°S and 30°S.
3. Scope and conditions of the cover
Loss or damage caused by Named Tropical Storms is excluded from this policy, unless the Vessel is
a) at sea (not anchored, moored or aground),
b) stored ashore in a one-piece or approved cradle (except in the case of multihulls) with the cradle and Vessel securely lashed
together and secured with ground anchoring arrangements, or the hull sunk in the ground. All removable parts (booms,
spars, sails, awnings, etc.) are removed and stored safely. If the masts are removed, they are stored separately and safely. If
the masts remain stepped they are secured by all possible means (using halyards, additional lines etc.) to the ground,
c) secured in a marina berth with additional ropes as can appropriately be used,
d) on a mooring anchored with adequate ground gear. For Australian waters this only applies if the swing mooring is located
in a river, serviced annually and certified for the size of the vessel by the mooring company and a copy has been provided
to Pantaenius in advance, or
e) in the mangroves anchored with adequate ground gear and secured with multiple landlines.
4. Deductible
For any claim for loss or damage caused by a Named Tropical Storm which is accepted under 3. a) or 3. b), the deductible noted in
the policy applies.
For any claim for loss or damage which is accepted under condition 3. c) – e) the deductible is 20% of the total cost of the claim,
subject to a maximum of EUR 100.000 (or the equivalent of the currency stated in the schedule), or the deductible noted in the
policy, whichever is the higher.
5. This clause is an integral part of the hull insurance contract and takes precedence over the Yacht Hull Clauses
Old 02-04-2018, 00:14   #9

Hello Simi,
that is not an abridged version, that is the new version.

Greg H
Old 02-04-2018, 01:20   #10

Are you prepared to go back to them with my version and a ”please explain?”
If I need to go on the hunt for a new company a few months head start would be good.

Tags
Australia, insurance