Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-12-2014, 04:48   #1

Boat: Bluewater 40, Cal 20, Bayliner Avanti
Cutter rigging??

In a discussion about pros and cons to use cutter rigging on multihull, a designer pointed me it's not a good rigging because need to install big, heavy winches to support front sails.
But basically almost cat or tri I know have a double sails on front..
So.. it's feasible install a pure cutter rig (no slutter) on a cat or tri?
Old 13-12-2014, 05:20   #2

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!
Re: Cutter rigging??

Yes, it's more than possible to build such. I owned one for a few years actually. Plus, there are thousands of them roaming the seas as I type this.
That designer is either feeding you a line of bull for some reason, or he doesn't deserve the letters NA attached to his name (meaning he's Posing as a designer). And I say as much, as there are plenty of multi's with huge jibs, genoas, & screechers or Code Zeros. All of which require big winches. Where as with a cutter, by breaking up the sailplan into 2 headsails, you're actually making them smaller than the same sails on a sloop rigged boat.

The only issue is mast placement, & the fact that on most multi's there's not a traditional keel to step the mast on. So a design might have to be tweaked in order to meet your wishes, rig wise.

The current fad of cats with 2 jibs on furlers (a working jib, & a screecher or genoa) isn't an awful one, just the most popular one right now.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2014, 06:47   #3

Boat: Catana 471

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
That designer is either feeding you a line of bull for some reason, or he doesn't deserve the letters NA attached to his name (meaning he's Posing as a designer). And I say as much, as there are plenty of multi's with huge jibs, genoas, & screechers or Code Zeros. All of which require big winches.
Agree, up to the big winches part. I use a 950ft2 (88m2) screacher/Code 0 that I haul up mostly by hand, then tighten the luff with a Harken 44 mounted on the mast. This is the smallest winch size on the boat. The sail does have a 2:1 halyard, though.

On cats the problem to overcome for a cutter rig is the babystay - where to you attach it? This is easier on cats with a center compression beam from the front cross beam to the bridgedeck. But I've also seen bobstays rigged to the hulls passing through the tramp that accomplish the same purpose.

2 Hulls Dave
2Hulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2014, 08:01   #4

Boat: Catana 471

Quote:
Originally Posted by garrobito View Post
In a discussion about pros and cons to use cutter rigging on multihull, a designer pointed me it's not a good rigging because need to install big, heavy winches to support front sails.
Maybe he was referring to the sheets for these sails. Yes, you need big winches to sheet genoas upwind. All boats do regardless of the rig design. The bigger the boat, the bigger the sails and the bigger the winches. But you don't need them for off-the-wind bigger headsails. But you've got 'em anyway...

2 Hulls Dave
2Hulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2014, 14:22   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

> So.. it's feasible install a pure cutter rig (no slutter) on a cat or tri?

One word: Prout.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2014, 04:49   #6

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

One other idea which came to mind, is that I can't help but to wonder that if, you purposefully had the forward crossbeam designed to have a bit longer than normal chord, from front to back. Could it be built so that you could have a standard headstay, & a detachable Solent stay. From a structural stand point I mean, in terms of the crossbeam being able to handle loads such as that.

Though, also, there are catamaran designs which don't have a traditional forward crossbeam per say. But rather, they have a long beam (prod) extending forward from the mast beam/cabin house structure, out to about the boat's bows. From which all headsails are flown.

Think of it as an EXTRA Long sprit or sport boat asymmetric kite pole extending out from the beam structure which supports the mast. I would imagine that it be fairly easy to adapt one of these designs to handle a staysail. Given that the prod can handle the loads of the headstay & any sails flown from it, in addition to say, the loads of a kite, when one's being flown on such a boat.

Ah, & BTW, the other day I forgot to mention that my Tri was a Searunner. And to the best of my knowledge, all of them are cutter rigged. Or at least from the 31'er & up.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cutter, rigging