Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 20-05-2009, 06:37   #16
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Latitude 38 - The West's Premier Sailing and Marine Magazine

There were some pics to go with the ad in yachtworld, and the boat was very clean, fiberglass, and I do IMAGINE REAL! You are correct I didn't walk up, and touch it, but if it is in 2 different locations I do IMAGINE it could be possible. So much for the negative theories......i2f

imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2009, 07:02   #17
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
I was just about ready to make an immediate move back to Oakland . . .
"There is no there, there." Gertrude Stein, on returning to Oakland to look for her childhood home.

TaoJones

Old 20-05-2009, 07:07   #18
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
Wishful Thinking

If 40' catamarans were available for $50K- $75K with double and queen size beds in cabins with doors and a large galley and with diesel engines.... and of course in pristine condition. I would already own that boat.

Sorry John, this is wishful thinking. You might as well say you want a pristine 5 bedroom home on Biscayne Bay, with 4 baths, a pool and private beach for $100K.

This is nothing more than a dream.

There are deals out there, but they're neglected boats that will need 100s if not 1000's of hours and a wheel barrel of cash to refit. This is exactly what the original poster says he doesn't want.
Old 20-05-2009, 07:07   #19

I don't rule out the possibility -- there are deals to be had if someone is in financial distress and needs the money fast. However, in the example I gave of that Seawind, I can ssure you the pictures did not show the true condition -- things like electrolysis on the mast where stainless was attached to aluminum without barrier layer, the cracked swages in the lifelines, frayed and UV-faded halyards and sheets, or mildewed worn out sales/canvas. Nor did they show the water stains from the cabin roof and hatch leaks, or the hour meters for the outboard engines.

To sum it up, it's healthy to be a skeptic and I would advise anyone to try to enlist a disinterested and credible local resource to see a boat on your behalf before travelling any great distance for an advertised boat.
Old 20-05-2009, 08:10   #20
Eternal Member

No bigger skeptic than myself, but I also keep an open mind. My oppurtunity to move back home to Oakland has been waived for now.

As far as travelling to see a boat. I went from Oakland to St. Maarten 1 week after seeing the ad to purchase Imagine. Sometimes in life timing can be everything. I was lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time to purchase my cat at the RIGHT price. Then again we all get through life differently......i2f
Old 20-05-2009, 09:03   #21
Eternal Member

I didn't read where it needs thousands of dollars in retrofit. I do believe the ad in yachtworld promoted it as ready to sail. How ready I do not know. This ad says great condition, and the buyer being from the same area would have made it a simple go, and see. Unfortunately the boat was removed quickly. Possibly an extremely quick sale, because the ad is true? As I posted we all get through life differently. My glass is half full, and not half empty.....i2f
Old 20-05-2009, 10:58   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Searunner 34 and Searunner Constant Camber 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
IAs I posted we all get through life differently. My glass is half full, and not half empty.....i2f
I would say mine is 3/4 full which might not be totally accurate because I'm including the ice

Still, I think if you aren't too keen on going with the owner built tri as I mentioned before -- and I don't get the sense you're ruiling it out -- the odds of getting a cat that meets the specs are going to be limited by your ability to act very quickly should one hit the market.

How long do you want to spend looking?

Maren

The sea is always beautiful, sometimes mysterious and, on occasions, frighteningly powerful.
Maren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2009, 11:06   #23
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Just to be clear, it's the OP, sww914, who's looking for such a vessel, and not imagine2frolic, who already owns a beautiful cat.

TaoJones
Old 20-05-2009, 11:12   #24
Eternal Member

Tao,

I think I read this someplace else recently...You old smooooothiiiiieeeee....compliments will get you everywhere with me.......i2f...thank you sir
Old 20-05-2009, 11:32   #25
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Why does everybody have to put "old" before the nice words?

TaoJones

Old 20-05-2009, 11:34   #26
Eternal Member

I have no idea your age, but I do remember your remark just recently about the comment, you old smoothie. Just a little poke of fun. In reality we are probly very close in age......i2f
Old 20-05-2009, 11:38   #27
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I'm a 1948 Aries, i2f, born in landlocked Colorado. I think it was the British lass who called me an "old smooth talker."

TaoJones
Old 20-05-2009, 12:17   #28
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 46' custom cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by sww914 View Post
My family is looking for a multihull to cruise Mexico, Central America, and the Caribbean. Mom & Dad, 1 kid (12) and a dog. We'll have about $50-$75K to work with. We have a list of must-haves. It must be able to tolerate getting stuck out in some bad weather. It must have 2 separate sleeping areas, one a double or a queen and a door, the other can be small. My son is a dwarf, he doesn't need a large bed. It must have a sit down nav station. It must have a galley that has room to work in, we like to cook. It must have adequate tankage. It must have a diesel engine. It must have a shallow draft and should be beachable. I had a Cross 37 10 years ago, I had to sell it due to health problems, now resolved. We looked at that boat again a couple of months ago, it's smaller than I remembered, I'd like to go 40' if possible.
Some work needed is fine, I build racecars and my wife was a Mechanic in the Coast Guard, but we don't want a multi-year project.
Have you looked at the Wharram cats? The Pahi 42, Narai or Oro would fit most of your criteria and can be found in your price range.

Best of luck,
Mike
Old 21-05-2009, 09:17   #29
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Searunner 34 and Searunner Constant Camber 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoJones View Post
Just to be clear, it's the OP, sww914, who's looking for such a vessel, and not imagine2frolic, who already owns a beautiful cat.
Ummm, yes - my second comments were to sww914 but the first (1/2 empty vs 1/2 full vs 3/4 full but with ice -- oh and a garnish I forgot about that too) was to i2f .

That said upon rereading my post I realize that a reasonable person would think I was still addressing i2f. My bad.

Maren

The sea is always beautiful, sometimes mysterious and, on occasions, frighteningly powerful.
Maren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2009, 11:34   #30
Eternal Member

Maren,

No bad there.....the sound of ice tinkling in a glass in the evening as the sunsets.....it can bring a wonderful smile to one's face......I get your humor, and I am with you, so I guess my glass would be 3/4's full too........i2f

Tags
multihull

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: