Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-01-2010, 22:18   #1

Boat: Wharram Pahi 63 Catamaran, Sailwind 27 Mono, Ring 20, Lee Fisher 16, Banks Dory, Dunlop Dive RIB
pirate Cruising Catamaran Shopping List: What Should I Put on it?

Wharram Pahi 63 will be finished in about June sometime at that stage it will be an empty shell with sails, it's maiden voyage will be about 11,100nm or more so I'll need to purchase all necessary equipment prior to that. The port of origin will be in the Philippines so availability may be a problem. What equipment regarding safety, comfort, electronics, tools etc. is absolutely necessary to undertake such a long trip?

Sure I know there is some obvious choices but I want to cross reference with experienced sailors to make sure I'm not missing anything.

Further more I would appreciate your advice on what makes of equipment is functional and quality enough and reasonably priced for a cruising cat.

Thank you for your help.
Geminidawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2010, 22:55   #2

Maybe very worth your while to talk to Mike Allen at the Boat Shop on Cebu Island, Philippines - 1st class guy, known him for over 25 years,
I have had the pleasure of sailing on Querida, Aviatrix, Fine Pitch and Lambada all built by his boatyard, which has built many many multihulls and he has a tremendous amount of experience in all facets of fitting them out once the main structure is complete.
His email :- boatshop#boatshop.com.ph
his website Boatshop Philippines, Inc.
If you need more detail PM me.
Laidback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2010, 01:33   #3

Boat: Wharram Pahi 63 Catamaran, Sailwind 27 Mono, Ring 20, Lee Fisher 16, Banks Dory, Dunlop Dive RIB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laidback View Post
Maybe very worth your while to talk to Mike Allen at the Boat Shop on Cebu Island, Philippines - 1st class guy, known him for over 25 years,
I have had the pleasure of sailing on Querida, Aviatrix, Fine Pitch and Lambada all built by his boatyard, which has built many many multihulls and he has a tremendous amount of experience in all facets of fitting them out once the main structure is complete.
His email :- boatshop#boatshop.com.ph
his website Boatshop Philippines, Inc.
If you need more detail PM me.
Cheers for that, however the boat will be in "sailaway" condition with the designers own "flexispace" interior so it dosen't really need fitting out, but that dose include VHF, Compass, GPS or any instruments. I was looking at the "Tacktick" range for their ease of installation due to the lack of wires but some of them are over the top and there are so many to choose from which would be fine if I had a "state of the art cat" and I was looking to break some records but I just need advice from seasoned cruisers on the necessary basics.
I'm also looking to keep skin fittings to an absolute minimum so I'm thinking on Cassette Toilets. Water will be kept in jerry cans so they can be dated indepently and seperated for drinking and other use as a bad single batch of contaminated water can knock the entire crew on their ass, also I'll need not worry about installing any plumbing until I get home.
When it comes to VHF and GPS I'm not really sure if "hand held" is sufficent or should I be looking for something more substantial?
Old 30-01-2010, 04:02   #4

Boat: Jaguar 22 mono called Arfur.
Hand held is fine if you've got the charts to track progress and position on with the chart inaccuracies noted for blind fog conditions. If it fails you can fall back on DR or even one of those mobile phones with Sat Nav positional fix on it (for your mid-day plot). Mine is independent of phone signal by the way, it's not just a road route finder. It may lose the net based road, but doesn't lose where it's at. You just need a car power socket on your 12v to keep it charged.

I'd worry more about the accumulation of things you'll never need, hopefully, that cruisers carry about with them. Things are more likely to go wrong on that first trip.

Toilets nowadays should have catch tanks with three days capacity. Most marina's will expect that in warmer civilised places.

I agree with splitting the water storage, and would suggest a rain gathering system to boost your washing water, or in emergency, drinkable. I'm fitting potable quality flexible pipes as water tanks, to keep the boat dry, the water clean, and compartmentalised. I'd be happy with jerry cans for the first couple of weeks falling back onto sterilised tankage after tht. Be careful with the taps at the user end. Normal twist taps don't always get shutoff properly, if you are on an electric pump you can lose a tank full in dribbles. I'm considering a day tank, say five litres, for the kitchen sink and hand-basin, with hand pumped sea water to the sink. It's happened to me on a day cruise, I took it on board as an issue.
That day tank could be solar warmed on a self circulating system. Solar panels work best at 'normal' temperatures, a cooling blanket behind them will keep them working better and keep my ready to use washing water warm. Just need the right place.

Weather data is necessary for your safety, a hand held VHF is necessary for your liferaft/grab bag with the smoke and night flares as appropriate.

If you are considering this as a delivery run then it is really is minimum but necessary safety equipment that will form the back up system when she's fully fitted.

My old boat has all the electrical distribution at the stern (engine bay) and all the switches at the front of the cabin. I'm going to split those to put the nav stuff at the helm.
I'd suggest too that the internal electrical equipment should be accessible in full wets from the cockpit without upsetting or disturbing the off watch crew. Depends on how much the supplier is building in.
Fuel is another matter, if your standing rigging has a fault it could go overboard at mid passage. Can you carry enough fuel, and spare rope and sails to jury rig and get home before the water runs out? A water maker is reliable but could also fail in the same way, and always at the worst time.

Securing your stores will be a problem in a bare boat. Will the builder bolt some boxes to the floor so you can keep stuff dry and in place when the weather kicks up? All those water and fuel cans will need to be secured too. Netting to strong points?

You may gather that I've been planning a long time and not sailing for long, these comments are here for you to note or ignore as you please. They are things I go through on sleepless nights when the moon is high. Trying to reduce the fear factor with advanced planning. 11,000 miles sounds a big trip.
Old 30-01-2010, 04:05   #5

Boat: Jaguar 22 mono called Arfur.
ps I'd be available for that delivery run.
Old 30-01-2010, 04:18   #6

Gemini, "it will be an empty shell with sails" vs "all facets of fitting them out once the main structure is complete. " If you take the time to go through Mike Allen's portfolio,
you will see many boats that have the bare minimum in terms the equipment you are considering --The experience that he has, is very rare on this planet and he is not very far away - he can save a lot of money and grief - a very approachable guy.
Laidback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2010, 04:29   #7
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Just outside of Manila is a company that carries what you will need. I will search for the name........i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2010, 08:19   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleven View Post
If you are considering this as a delivery run then it is really is minimum but necessary safety equipment that will form the back up system when she's fully fitted.
Thanks guys. That's pretty much it in a nut shell, I'm just looking for the bare minimum to get her and her crew home safe.The chances are I'll have to get it re-fitted again with EU standard equipment back in Europe before I can put her to work. There will be plenty of stowage onboard it's built into the design but no much comfort as it will be a work in progress.
Old 07-02-2010, 11:48   #9

Location: Cruising in the SUN! Now hauled out in Malta for the winter.
Boat: 37' Oldenziel cat
In view of your lengthy delivery passage an item which I would strongly recommend is a Tri-Lens radar reflector. Or even better an active radar transponder.

Whilst you want to be seen, it could also be of interest to you to have AIS fitted, either a receive-only (like the NASA unit) to be able to see some of the big boys or a receive & transpond unit like the Simrad AS50.
Old 08-02-2010, 07:09   #10

Geminidawn,

I suggest that you get plenty of refrigerator space, lots of interior cabin heat and A/C, as well as plenty of hot water. Many folks overlook how important these four items are for their everyday live aboard "cruising" pleasure.

JerryF
Old 10-02-2010, 10:49   #11

All I would need is something blonde, with a lovely russian accent and double C!!
rocma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 10:54   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catcruiser View Post
All I would need is something blonde, with a lovely russian accent and double C!!
Great! I'll run that by the Missus and see what she thinks!
Old 10-02-2010, 12:50   #13

I will respond in a little more serious manor next time. Just had **** loads of SPAM on my PC offering russian brides etc.
rocma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2010, 16:28   #14

This is what I have listed so far:

1 X CQR Main (25kg) + 10m of 10mm chain + 100m of 24mm Nylon Warp
2 X Danfourth (15kg) + 5m of 10mm chain + 50m of 20mm Nylon Warp
Windlass
Sea Drogue (Self made)
Fenders (Tyres)
Quay Warps
Ships Compass
Ships Bell
2 X Ships Clocks
Sextant, Charts, Dividers & Parallel Rule
Ships Logbook
Speed
Depth
GPS
VHF
Weather Fax or similar
2 X 12v Batteries + Solar Panels
Radar Reflector
Nav Lights
2 X Bilge Pumps
2 X Casette Toilets
2X Portable Shower Bags
Gas Cooker
Fire Extinguishers & Blankets
Plastic 25ltr Translucent Jerry Cans for Drinking Water Stowage (dated)
Horse Shoe & Dan Buoy
Life raft
Flares
Grab Bag with Hand Held Radio & GPS

Anything I have missed?
Old 26-02-2010, 17:19   #15

Boat: 63 ft John Spencer Schooner
Medical kit

Don't need speed (use GPS), I could live without depth or weatherfax also.

dana-tenacity is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shopping