Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-02-2008, 10:49   #1
cruiser

Cruising Cat vs. Cruising Mono Performance

Uh oh... time for more controversy!

Got done with my sea trial on the new cat today. All went well. In fact, the cat did nearly as well to weather as an average cruising mono. Yup... sailed just fine. We did have heavy winds, but she pointed right up, much to my suprise.

So, I have to say that in decent winds (10-15kts), comparing a crusing cat with a cruising mono (with full keel or modified fin), they're about the same.

Of course, a fin keel would make a huge difference, but comparing these apples and oranges from the middle performance range, they're just about equal.

A very surprising result, based on what I read here.

The cats aren't so bad to windward after all. Just depends on the type of mono you are comparing them to.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2008, 11:06   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Here we go...break out the heavy weapons. It's show time!

In a computer forum that I am a member of, we have the same thing. It's either AMD vs Intel or Nvidia vs ATI. It always ends the same with a moderator locking the thread.

Sullivan...its nice the see the old stereotypes of catamarans are falling by the wayside with modern designs.

Just going in and out of various marinas in the SF Bay Area to pick up customers, I have noticed a LOT more modern catamarans sitting at their end-ties from just 10 years ago.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2008, 11:47   #3

Even monohullers agree that some cruising cats go to windward just fine:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cat.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	2721  
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2008, 12:08   #4

Boat: PDQ32
cat to mono comparison

I found that Charles Kantor did a very good job of addressing / debunking the comparisons in his book Cruising in Catamarans. He also observed that most cats would go to windward at least as well or better than most of the full keeled monohulls.
Also keep in mind that most cruisers live by the adage that " gentlemen don't sail to windward".
Old 18-02-2008, 13:29   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ireaney View Post
Oh no - wait for the fireworks, you have upset the mono hull boys now especially JOLI and probably CATTY
VMG is VMG. Put it on a race course and see what happens but as I have said here more then once this is a cruising forum and the rules are not the same. Sorry no fireworks

Gunboat 48, nice boat Ireany! Congrats.
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2008, 07:09   #6
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
Sean and Joli are actually both right.

Just as Sean mentioned, my cat points to 30 degrees apparent before pinching. While the wind is whipping thru your hair and all seems wonderful with the world, unfortunately, there are other considerations.

First off, as cats are slightly faster, apparent wind moves further forward on a cat, so even though pointing at 30 degrees apparent seems unassailable, in fact we would actually be pointing lower than a mono when comparing courses to true wind direction.

The second consideration is leeway. I know this is dependent on hull design, but I have to believe that cats are slipping sideways a lot more than a full keel mono.

All in all I'm very satisfied with windward performance, but I'm not sure it's fair to say that cats can outpoint a mono. If I steer a couple of points lower, keep my speed up and even with another tack thrown in, I think I can compare favorably to Joli's VMG scenario (or I should say that I know Ireany's boat would).

Of course, OTOH, I wouldn't know what a race course looks like!!
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2008, 07:16   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
No controversy - to compare two different boats on speed you have to race between two or more points.

There are fast and slow cats and fast and slow mono's.

There are boats you wanna spend 30 days on and there are boats you can't wait to get off after 30 hours.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2008, 07:49   #8
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
No controversy - to compare two different boats on speed you have to race between two or more points.

There are fast and slow cats and fast and slow mono's.

There are boats you wanna spend 30 days on and there are boats you can't wait to get off after 30 hours.
Yup... this is really it. What I noticed is that the cruising cat I was sailing performed about the same as a full keel (Vagabond type) mono. While not stellar to windward, it's was "good enough for me."
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2008, 19:20   #9

SSulivan, I aggree with your observation. After years of blue water cruising we finally got the urge to join in the local yacht clubs mixed multi/mono weekend races. The results certainly debunck a few of the multihulls are always faster myths.

We certainly didn't choose our cruising cat based on speed alone. Whilst I would consider it a performance cruiser (having come from a racing background), for our style of cruising, the cat has many other highly desireable attributes. Any one selecting a cruising multi on speed alone will be sorely dissapointed.

Check out the "speed around a course" thread on the "boat design forum".

Comparing the speed of an orma tri and a hartley floating footpath proves nothing, but a schioning to a joe adams performance cruiser is a different story.
Old 19-02-2008, 19:29   #10

I'm partial to mono hulls for the same reason I like flooded batteries: they've been around forever, everything works with them, and they're cheaper.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2008, 20:51   #11

I tend to agree about the flooded batteries, but sailing monohulls, as such, have been around for less than 300 years? Multihulls have been around for over 3000 years.

Cheers
Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2008, 20:55   #12

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Sully...NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! You've been drugged! Now repeat after me:-
There's no hull like a monohull
There's no hull like a monohull
There's no hull like a monohull...

Now take Toto and sail back to Kansas
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2008, 00:48   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Quote:
but sailing monohulls, as such, have been around for less than 300 years
What about Noah's Ark? The first boat ever built and she's mono. Maybe it didn't have a Sail, but it didn't have an engine either, just relying on tide a wind to move.
Of course, ya just gotta have faith it existed :-)
But then there were the Vikings. What about the ships some dude made mirrors to try and burn them to the water line. Those examples are far older than 300yrs.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2008, 00:49   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by catty View Post
SSulivan, I aggree with your observation. After years of blue water cruising we finally got the urge to join in the local yacht clubs mixed multi/mono weekend races. The results certainly debunck a few of the multihulls are always faster myths.

We certainly didn't choose our cruising cat based on speed alone. Whilst I would consider it a performance cruiser (having come from a racing background), for our style of cruising, the cat has many other highly desireable attributes. Any one selecting a cruising multi on speed alone will be sorely dissapointed.

Check out the "speed around a course" thread on the "boat design forum".

Comparing the speed of an orma tri and a hartley floating footpath proves nothing, but a schioning to a joe adams performance cruiser is a different story.

What kind of performance cruising cat do you have catty?
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2008, 01:39   #15

Boat: Dolphin 460 Catamaran WONDERLAND
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Wheeler View Post
What about Noah's Ark? The first boat ever built and she's mono. Maybe it didn't have a Sail, but it didn't have an engine either, just relying on tide a wind to move.
Of course, ya just gotta have faith it existed :-)
So are you implying that god favored monohulls when he told Noah to build that ark? God must have been concerned that Noah would flip over or pitch poll in one of those twin hulled contraptions with all those animals on board. The animals would not have liked the slamming of the bridgedeck either. ALso, there were no containers floating around in the oceans back then so there was very little chance that Noah would have hit one and sank to the bottom in that lead-laden mono.

Keegan
Keegan is offline   Reply With Quote