Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-06-2018, 09:45   #31
Marine Service Provider

Re: Cruising Cat advice for a novice family of 8?

Knysna K500se
Craigboshard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2018, 15:50   #32

Boat: Brady Passage Maker 50'

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamDamily View Post
All,
So we're evaluating what catamaran would be best for our family. Currently we have 6 kids (oldest is 11), and may have another couple over the next few years. We're already experienced family travelers (50+ countries by air & land) and are looking forward to seeing the rest by sea over several years of full-time cruising. (though no sailing experience yet). Looking at purchasing within the next 3 years. Also, I'm 6'3" tall, so looking for something that will fit our family and that I don't have to duck in constantly.

Currently looking online at the following (but haven't seen any yet in person):

Antares 44e (wondering if I'll fit height wise, if it will fit our big family, and if we'll like the galley down)?

Royal Cape Majestic 530 (wondering how slow it is compared to others & if the bridge deck clearance is an issue?)

St. Francis 50 (Reminds me of the Antares look but bigger - any feedback?)

Lagoon 42

Any others we should take a hard look at?

Would a 50' boat be too much for my wife & I to operate?
What are the port cost differences between a 44' & 54' cat?
How much weight should I estimate per person aboard?
Will I need to get a slower boat to accommodate the extra weight of people, food, fuel, water & toys for 8+ people?

Would also love some pointers as to what we should do to prepare now as non-sailors (besides sailing itself as we're not living in a place we can do that).

Thanks!
Not sure what cruising you might want to do. We have a Brady 50 which is both a great "Open Water Passage Maker" and if you want live aboard. Being 50 foot long and 26 foot wide there a heap of room.
The Brady 50 Passage maker is a rare Cat in that it is build for heavy seas. Designed to Lloyds small ship specs and surveyed to Lloyds specs.
Like I said not exactly sure what you want do.

Rgds
Grumps
Brady 50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 09:27   #33

Boat: 2013 Nautitech 542

Yikes! I’ve got a 61’ Privilege. It’s a lot of boat but manageable. Cruising on a Gunboat work be like motorhoming in a Ferrari; expensive, tight and dangerous.

Sorry... I just had to be clever and say that. ;-D
gsuescum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 18:00   #34

Boat: Lagoon 450S
Send a message via Skype™ to davedindubai

I just read your whole original post with a big smile on my face!

18 months ago I was doing the same online research you are now but with only 2 of us to worry about and here you are doing it for 8, potentially 10! Good for you!!!

We bought a 45' cat (after never actually sailing one), we'd never sailed anything actually so the more important questions to us were:

do we want to continue to live in comfort?
do we want to travel but still feel 'at home'?
do we have a budget?

Ideally we would calmly move our lovely apartment around the world with all our creature comforts and we felt no desire to do this at 20kts. Slow, safe, comfortable, easy to maintain and affordable were the most important considerations to us. Plus we didn't even know what a gun boat was back then.

We have an owners version, we can comfortably fit 5 adults without getting in each others way but we find 45' absolutely perfect for the 2 of us. We have since met much bigger families on 30' mono hulls but I would suggest getting the biggest boat you can afford with the most amount of cabins you can get so that the kids can have their own space sometimes. You'll need your own space too don't forget.

Forget speed. The last thing you'll want to do is 20kts with your entire family onboard, trust me! We've done 17kts and all I wanted to do was slow down.

Fuel, water and electricity will be big considerations for you. You'll need lots of all 3.

1 large dinghy plus maybe a 2nd smaller one.

Regarding sailing, I would definitely recommend the whole family go and learn to sail a dinghy together. Hayley and I did our RYA level 1 and 2 dinghy course and had a blast. The kids will love it and this will be the very beginning of your adventure.

The very best of luck from us! You're going to love it.

ps. now I do know what a gun boat is, YES I would LOVE one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamDamily View Post
All,
So we're evaluating what catamaran would be best for our family. Currently we have 6 kids (oldest is 11), and may have another couple over the next few years. We're already experienced family travelers (50+ countries by air & land) and are looking forward to seeing the rest by sea over several years of full-time cruising. (though no sailing experience yet). Looking at purchasing within the next 3 years. Also, I'm 6'3" tall, so looking for something that will fit our family and that I don't have to duck in constantly.

Currently looking online at the following (but haven't seen any yet in person):

Antares 44e (wondering if I'll fit height wise, if it will fit our big family, and if we'll like the galley down)?

Royal Cape Majestic 530 (wondering how slow it is compared to others & if the bridge deck clearance is an issue?)

St. Francis 50 (Reminds me of the Antares look but bigger - any feedback?)

Lagoon 42

Any others we should take a hard look at?

Would a 50' boat be too much for my wife & I to operate?
What are the port cost differences between a 44' & 54' cat?
How much weight should I estimate per person aboard?
Will I need to get a slower boat to accommodate the extra weight of people, food, fuel, water & toys for 8+ people?

Would also love some pointers as to what we should do to prepare now as non-sailors (besides sailing itself as we're not living in a place we can do that).

Thanks!
Old 12-07-2018, 18:24   #35

Boat: Tartan 3000

What do you think, minimum 2 or 3 years sailing before considering this adventurous lifestyle?
Larry Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 19:12   #36

Boat: Lagoon 450S
Send a message via Skype™ to davedindubai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Florida View Post
What do you think, minimum 2 or 3 years sailing before considering this adventurous lifestyle?
Who am I to comment? We had absolutely none!
Experience is a funny thing tho, there are those who have been sailing 20 years who have in fact done 20x 1 week flotillas in Greece and those who have been sailing 6 months as livaboards and crossed an ocean safely.

I think that when you have a family to consider, the choice of when you are ready will be solely on how you feel, not how long you've been sailing.

Living on a boat isn't just about the big white cloth bits, they're easy, its dealing with mechanics, electrics, repairs, logistics, finances, weather that occupies your time. If you're good at that lot, you can learn the sailing bit.
Old 16-07-2018, 18:24   #37

For your size family and your plans to increase it, I see only one possible catamaran for you:
ROGUE 90x30

We were guests a couple years ago, and ROGUE has dual watermakers, fresh water tanks of a couple thousand gallons, and most important...

...private spaces to be alone.

ROGUE carries a massive tender.
ROGUE has a fuel range of nearly ten thousand miles.
ROGUE has freezers and dry storage for months away from land ('duration').
ROGUE has a music room, library, plenty of deck...

...and room for a nursery.

Highest recommendation!
LargeMarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2018, 18:38   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeMarge View Post
For your size family and your plans to increase it, I see only one possible catamaran for you:
ROGUE 90x30

We were guests a couple years ago, and ROGUE has dual watermakers, fresh water tanks of a couple thousand gallons, and most important...

Highest recommendation!
Isn't a power cat much more expensive to operate?
jojolimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2018, 18:42   #39

Boat: 37 Uniflite Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojolimited View Post
Isn't a power cat much more expensive to operate?
Not to mention that the asking price for this particular one was $1,750,000.

https://www.boatinternational.com/ya...ue-sold--31307
Dooglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2018, 20:18   #40

Boat: Boatless

Quote:
ROGUE 90x30

Highest recommendation!
I love this answer with all my heart!
akprb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2018, 20:28   #41

Quote:
ROGUE 90x30

Highest recommendation!
Did I read this gent has no sailing experience?? Why not a 120 x 40?
Old 16-07-2018, 21:43   #42

re:
Cost to operate power boats

Boat designers Steve and Linda Dashew built and operated sailboats for decades, then == at a 'certain age' == they realized they no longer enjoyed the outside work and physical labor required to sail.

On their mega-site SetSail dot com, they closely examined the costs of operating a sailboat compared to a stinkpot.

Now, running their designed 'Fast Passage Boats' since about 2006, they stand by their earlier conclusion:
Properly-designed power boats are CHEAPER to operate than comparable sailboats.

According to their frequent posts as they cruise and refine their latest version of the FPB series, a long slender hull driven by optimized engine(s) and prop(s) are safer and efficient.

Plus there is the comfort factor of air conditioning to maintain a comfortable temperature and humidity.

Properly-designed means 'not a fat short tall trawler marina-queen condo'.

We are basing our next build on their mountains of information. As Steve told me, 'why re-invent the wheel?'.
Old 16-07-2018, 22:02   #43

re:
Larry Florida asks "Why not a 120x40?"

Indeed!

Unless the family is trust funded, they probably need to earn a living as they go.

Enter 'the powerboat hotel cruiser' concept designed on a retired fast-ferry built by INCAT in Tasmania Australia. [bows to applause, pats self on back]

At the end of their commercial life, a few dozen of these ships are sitting at brokerages around the world... desperately in need of buyers. With decades of life left in them, it's far too soon to send them to the breakers.

The smaller versions are 267' (two hundred sixty-seven feet) long by 80' beam.
The full-size versions are 317' long with the same beam. (Instead of normal feet, those wacky Australians size them using foreign measurements called 'meters'. Such jokers!)

Engineered to carry hundreds of cars and trucks plus a thousand passengers, can you imagine turning one into condos?

The American Navy operates several of these. Just avoid flying a Saudi flag around Yemen, and you'll be fine.
Old 17-07-2018, 07:55   #44

Quote:
re:
Larry Florida asks "Why not a 120x40?"

Indeed!

The smaller versions are 267' (two hundred sixty-seven feet) long by 80' beam.
The full-size versions are 317' long with the same beam. (Instead of normal feet, those wacky Australians size them using foreign measurements called 'meters'. Such jokers!)

317 feet now that is Large Marge

Interesting info on the sail vs power boat economics.
Old 31-07-2018, 14:10   #45
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

I am selling my catamaran and think it would be perfect for such a large family. The front berths have drop down bunks so each sleeps 3 plus the two aft queen berths plus one front V-berth for a total of 11. This way you can invite your in-laws to come along also.

One thing that IMO really is special about Palarran is the laundry. We have a large capacity washing machine and separate high heat vented dryer. It's like doing laundry at home. Over the last 8 years we have had about 150 people join us onboard and often had 8 or 9 for weeks on end. It's never been cramped or uncomfortable.

The FSBO ad is here:
https://www.boats.com/sailing-boats/...g#.W2DP99JKg2w

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...an-204234.html

Tags
cruising, family, novice