Its was sold without running engines, and at a cost of $26K to replace them and the saildrives I took an educated gamble. But I was pretty confident I would get one or both working.
All I needed was a spare battery
and they both started right away lol. One pissed out oil
everywhere thanks to rusted steel
lines (how can yanmar
charge so much with crap engineering like this?). So we took the line off (thanks Shane for doing that **** job) and I tried to get a new one made up but apparently 8mm banjo fittings are impossible to get, so they reused the old ones. Cost $69. Yanmar price
, $180 and air freight from OS.
So we just done some oil flushes, oil filters, primary and secondary fuel
filters, upper and lower zincs, new start batteries and they all run fine! The engine
bays were horrible so we degreased them and carchered it all. But the real test will be running them for a few hours atctually pushing the boat. But they performed fine in a saildrive
Now the sail drives. I checked the oil and it looked very milky. Yup salt water
and oil. These can have a bad rep for being unreliable and expensive to fix compared to a shaft drive. But they take up less space in the boat and have less drag though the water
under sail. Some have cone clutched which flog out, but these have dog clutches which is good.
When you take the prop off you can unbolt the crown wheel
and it just slides off. 2 bearing style seals
and a couple of big O rings is all that keeps the sea water
out. I replaced all these seals
, but when I dumped the sump plug
on one to drain the oil out. We found it had no O ring!!!! No wonder it was so bad.
I was really worried when I re built it all that the oil went milky again straight away (you test it like an outboard
with a plastic bin full of water over the sail drive when the boat is on the hard
stand). So I done the old diesel
oil flush on it. Put some gulf western motor
oil in it and flushed it again with diesel
and this time it was fine. It must have had a lot of sludge in it. So then I dumped that and put the proper gear
oil in again.
So thats pretty much it for the mechanical side. The engines are now ready to test at sea. Still many other projects need to be done like the steering