Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-02-2014, 16:13   #16
cruiser

Boat: Cowther 43 - Hunter 40.5
Re: Crowther 43 project

I was also looking in the states. Best deal there ATM is "whats up doc" a crowther 48 with wing mast for 200K.

Oh yeah it had to be a "performance boat". Which can be hard to find with the accommodations of this.
dennisail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2014, 23:34   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisail View Post
I am physically and mentally exhausted! Shane helped a LOT too. We would not have had it done this quick without him. He is coming with us too. Its just Nikki Shane and I.

We will try to meet for sure. I will ring you. Launch is at 10am Friday (I hope!) Not sure on the plans from there. Might stay south of Jumpinpin first night. I can fit the sails and solar panels there.

Sat maybe try that place south of the sandhills you guys dry out at? I'm not sure I will be able to float out in time Sunday to get up the Brisbane river before the tide is running out too strongly though.

25K winds is not the optimal wind conditions to try to sail this for the first time though

Friday
2:29 am : 0.27 L
8:48 am : 2.59 H
3:26 pm : 0.32 L
9:07 pm : 2.18 H

Saturday
3:21 am : 0.22 L
9:33 am : 2.61 H
4:10 pm : 0.27 L
9:54 pm : 2.27 H

Sunday
4:09 am : 0.21 L
10:16 am : 2.56 H
4:49 pm : 0.26 L
10:39 pm : 2.33 H
You should be fine to leave on about 1.5m of tide, even a little less. So you could leave around 7:30 - 8:00 Sunday, and ride the flood tide at least some of the way up the river.

There's also a spot there you can anchor without drying out if that suits you better.

We've also got waypoints for a good path in from the south, a bit quicker from the Gold Coast. Although you'll probably want to sail the long way round!

Looks like being a few cats in there this weekend. And the forecast is looking a bit nicer than 25 knots too!
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2014, 00:39   #18
cruiser

Cool. Send us the waypoints if you can. We will probably keep inside the bay. Not going out to sea for the first run.
Old 26-02-2014, 00:47   #19
Sos

Boat: Woods Flica catamaran

That is a really nice looking boat. That is a big rig so should sail well. Well done!
Sos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2014, 01:50   #20
cruiser

Thanks SOS.

Lol 44c just realized what you meant about the waypoints from the south on the inside of crab island. I guess if we get the boat sailing we will go around, but if we are only motoring the shortest path will be best...

We have not fitted the mainsail yet and I guess we could be in for some nasty surprises if the rest of the boat has been anything to go by. So far I epoxied the battens which were left on deck in the sun for who knows how many years. The resin had started to disintegrate and the glass was showing, making for some interesting handling on bare skin. I hope all the gear is there to raise the sail.

The shurflo smart sensor 5.7 fresh water pump was blown. The thing looked brand new. The brushes were melted into the brush holders, and even after I loosened them it would blow fuses. I ended up getting the same pump for $250, I hope it does not die like the old one did. But now at least I have spares.

There is a foot pump, but it appears to be for salt water.
Old 26-02-2014, 19:57   #21
cruiser

After reading this thread. http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...int-78793.html I just done my 2 X 14" three blade folding props in cold gal zinc and candle wax.

The props came with my boat in pieces and looked pretty ugly. I cleaned them with hydrochloric acid. They fizzed up like crazy, but it was only the oxidization melting away. (beware when doing this to the hubs as they contain alloy which could melt away with too much exposure).

I hit them with a wirebuff wheel and they looked like new. Cleaned with acetone, etch primer and 3 coats of cold gal zinc. After that I hit them with a heat gun and rubbed some candle (paraffin wax?) on with my fingers. It was really easy to get a consistent coat.

Water beads straight off. I doubt anything will stick to it. I guess it would work very well for a boat that was kept at a marina and only motored out the leads to sail. It might ware away pretty fast with a lot of motoring, but if it does the zinc is under it.

I refuse to use prop speed as it has an extortionate price, is a PITA to use and remove and mostly it does not seem to work!

Excuse the dodgy pic. I have lost my camera yet again and used my gopro

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/k7wbnyfolfup6mj/vFxlC2XhSF
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GOPR0024 (Copy).JPG
Views:	191
Size:	229.0 KB
ID:	76866  
Old 27-02-2014, 01:59   #22
DWT

Nice combination on the props. Keep us informed on how it works.
DWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2014, 04:02   #23

Boat: Crowther 15.2m

Hi
Your new boat looks great,If you come down to Sydney/Pittwater look me up there are many Crowthers around here.
two fast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2014, 04:52   #24
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40

dennisail, congrats on your new baby. She is a beautiful boat and looks like she should peform extremely well. Ultimately, I have no doubt that you will be very happy with her!

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2014, 00:12   #25
cruiser

Thanks guys. We launched her 2 hours ago from GCCM trying to get to Jumpinpin before dark. Hope to sail her tomorrow. Motors seem fine. We hit over 11K on a motor speed test. She had some serious stern waves at that speed and the exhaust hose started smoking Time for another beer.

Also we are running the fixed blade props Seems the folders were not even supposed to fit on these saildrives. They are labeled volvo. The hubs fit on the splines but are very loose and they hit the drive leg when you tighten them up. Not sure on the story behind them now. They might be up for sale unless I can get them resplined. Also they are left and right, and my current props are both left. But the reverse and forward has the same ratio and I think I can run any hand prop on them with a linkage change.
Old 28-02-2014, 02:28   #26

Hi I have a Crowther and it digs it's sterns in at 11knots
I normally motor with one engine at around 8 knots
Enjoy your first sail
Old 28-02-2014, 02:30   #27

I have SS Seahawk folding props made in Melbourne there great
Old 28-02-2014, 05:36   #28
DWT

Quote:
Originally Posted by two fast View Post
Hi I have a Crowther and it digs it's sterns in at 11knots
I normally motor with one engine at around 8 knots
Enjoy your first sail

What RPM's are you doing with one engine at 8knots?
DWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2014, 09:26   #29

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisail View Post
Also we are running the fixed blade props Seems the folders were not even supposed to fit on these saildrives. They are labeled volvo. The hubs fit on the splines but are very loose and they hit the drive leg when you tighten them up. Not sure on the story behind them now. They might be up for sale unless I can get them resplined. Also they are left and right, and my current props are both left. But the reverse and forward has the same ratio and I think I can run any hand prop on them with a linkage change.
If that is a Yanmar saildrive, those Volvo props should fit with no problem. What do you mean by loose on the spline? Do you mean there are gaps in the spline spaces (prop wiggles around), or that the prop hub slides up and down on the spline? If the latter, and they are not going on all the way, do you have line cutters or a spacer installed on your present fixed props? The folders could be hitting this.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2014, 10:12   #30

Hi at 8 knots it's around 2900 rpm with a clean bottom
I prefer to run 1 motor hard than 2 slowly