Should of checked that post before we left
We had lightish winds and hoisted the full main in the city CBD, after a while we were getting 20+ and we hit 10.6K upwind against the current
. There were plenty of rain squalls and I thought we were overpowered and it looked like the wind
was here to stay.
The boat really lets you know when its time to reef. It gets bad weather helm
thanks to the huge boom finishing right above the rudder
posts. We were not even right out of the river by that stage. Shane skillfully pointed us to windward with the engines trying not to gain much forward ground thanks to the confines of the port of Brisbane
I tried to get the first reef in but that stupid single
line reefing system was still not set up right and it would not pull the clew down. So after 10 min stuffing around with it I gave up and set the conventional 2nd reef (sail only has 2 reef points). It was actually way easier to get in than the single
line reefing on my hunter
even though the sail is half the size. I am glad I went with that reef anyway as winds stayed at 20-25 for most of the trip to Tangalooma. We were doing 8.5-9K upwind (45deg) the whole way over and it was a heap of fun! We then got hit by a squall which went to 30K and we stayed at 13 + for a few minutes and hit 14.3K. Very glad I set the second reef. Looks a little windy today. I think I may have fixed the first reef and hope to try that out back to Scarborough this arvo.
is pretty bad now. Huge crease lines pointing up from the second reef point where the sail is delaminating. I'm pretty heavy handed and good at breaking stuff, so that's not surprising. It still good enough for the bay for now, but I am sure big performance gains are to be had with new sails
. Which will happen eventually but I want to hold it off for a while.
Those 3 blade
fixed props have to be slowing us down a lot but I am still very happy with the speeds considering the large accommodations of this boat.