Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 16-11-2011, 13:07   #16

Boat: Lagoon 440
Re: Crows Nest for Cruising Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAIRWIND View Post
Mine looks like this. Very comfortable and safe.
Advice...Don't be near the radome up there with it turned on, it can seriously douse you with micro-waves.... cheers

Old 16-11-2011, 13:32   #17

Boat: planning a approx 45ft cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagoon4us View Post
Experience in Australia is the coral dries in the 6metre tides we have here, when you are moving around with the sun reflecting on the water it's nice to have some altitude to observe from.
A crow's nest is a bit radical, i have visions of Mr Depp lol.
So regardless of draft it's possible to run aground in any depth. Cheers
Problem is not with drying reefs but those that do not. Not all bommies will be charted!! Perhaps they are in the PNW.

We use polarized sunglasses to see through the water - not sure what sort of a job a camera would do for navigating in coral. Anyone done it.

Clearly Bransons concept is not suitable for a 40-45 ft vessel and FAIRWIND's concept would contribute little weight and is below spreaders and similar size to Radar.

Information and views so far are useful with only one example so far.

Thanks

Old 16-11-2011, 13:52   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
Problem is not with drying reefs but those that do not. Not all bommies will be charted!! Perhaps they are in the PNW.

We use polarized sunglasses to see through the water - not sure what sort of a job a camera would do for navigating in coral. Anyone done it.

Clearly Bransons concept is not suitable for a 40-45 ft vessel and FAIRWIND's concept would contribute little weight and is below spreaders and similar size to Radar.

Information and views so far are useful with only one example so far.

Thanks
Ok the reference to drying reefs was meant to explain the coral can be at various depths. I've yet to see any chart depict bommies the detail and responsibility for accuracy would be huge.
Polarised glasses are a given, Lenses on the camera are polarised as in the same manner. However steps are a given as well simply because of reliability issues with anything electronic.
If a yacht becomes tender from the addition of folding steps i'd question the yachts all up stability. Iv'e been in a bosun's chair off Gladstone at the top spreader in my Adam's 35 at full sail, hard on the breeze, there was little change.
With all things we stick up in the air we pay for it by windage, a mast to hold a radar has immense windage ie try holding a fishing rod outside a cars window at 40 mph/knots its unbelievable.
Radars need to be treated with caution sitting nearby with the family jewels vulnerable is a no no. lol....
What cat are you considering?? Cheers
Old 16-11-2011, 14:15   #19

Boat: planning a approx 45ft cat

Points all taken Lagoon4us.

I like to seriously get amongst the reef and light/clouds/tide is matter of stacking all odds in your favour when needed. Webjamin does not know what GBR and coral sea reefs are like. Good place to get away from other vessels unlike the Mainland islands most sailers visit.

Vessel I am looking at is FF46.

Cheers
Old 16-11-2011, 15:07   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
Points all taken Lagoon4us.

I like to seriously get amongst the reef and light/clouds/tide is matter of stacking all odds in your favour when needed. Webjamin does not know what GBR and coral sea reefs are like. Good place to get away from other vessels unlike the Mainland islands most sailers visit.

Vessel I am looking at is FF46.

Cheers
Totally agree Mr Cloud always seems to cast his shadow at the wrong time, my son just did ten days at Cato and Wreck got a GT the size of a cow!!!! I used to hang out around east Black off Hardy that was amazing country! Good luck wit 46 nice.... Cheers

Tags
catamaran, cruising

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: