Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2014, 23:04   #16

Boat: Catalina 30
Re: Cross Trimarans

Steve:

I helped DJ rebuild that galley area a year
or so ago. Shawna had big plans for it but
it was too big a job for her. Oh, yeah, I
also helped DJ rebuild the platform in the
Vberth. Bumped my head several times on
that pass thru to the Vberth. We also
started to rewire it. I built that box on the
bulkhead next to the companionway. It was
intended to be for an electrical panel. I
hope you like it. We also replaced the
cabin sole as I recall.

I'd like to come out and see what
you're doing on it. It's got lots of
potential.

The owners from a decade and a half
back are in Mexico on a monohull.
They also post on this forum.

I hang out a lot on Sub Sea Tours's
dock with Shawna's dad Kevin.

Lots of info on the old boat.

Cross tris are great. I used to race on
Sunsation out of Dana Point. Wonder
where it is now?

There was another Cross 40 in
Morro Bay, Cherokee. I sailed once on
it. Not sure where it is now.

PM me if you'd like.
jongleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 00:34   #17

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

I deliverd a 41 ft Piver that was a norm cross desined boat from the bilder in Vancouver BC to san Diego. It was by far the best sailing boat I was ever on !! It blew over 60 knots during the trip, and she sailed like a dream!! Always wanted one just like it ! Never found one nice enough to buy !! But I will always look for one !!
Old 03-03-2014, 07:10   #18

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

bobconnie, what's a Norm Cross designed Piver? A Piver with modifications by Norm Cross? I think Norm only modified the shallow water keel for designs by Arnold Piver. The early Cross boats shared some similarities with the most advanced of the Pivers, I believe they were the AA series (advanced amateur). Do you remember the name of the boat?
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 07:27   #19

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

stevelf, "soft spots" only means one thing, that the underlying structure has lost its integrity. Dry rot, termites or breakage. It's a good thing you are a carpenter, as you will be adding some skills to your resume. Download a copy of the West System manual and get to know all of the techniques that use this magic material. Don't be afraid to whack out big chunks of lumber and plywood in order to make the repair permanent. You can't be shy or intimidated when it comes down to structural repair. Your boat is going to have incredibly powerful forces exerted on it in a storm, with the rigging pulling at the chainplates in the hulls, the waves torqueing the crossarms and amas, and the mast pushing down on the deck. Don't waste your time trying to make repairs with polyester resin. It won't bond as effectively with older lumber, or for that matter, older fiberglass sheathing. The most expensive element in this whole project will be your time. Keep that in mind and you won't get too far distracted and allowing this renovation to become a lifetime project.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 17:24   #20

Boat: Cross 38' trimaran

Hey, Bill, thanks for your post. So you know this boat !! That is great. Wow ! I'll probably be down there in 2 weeks and will begin my process to bring her back into shipshape... Who is DJ ?? Is that Don ? I would love to talk with someone who knows or knew the outboard, the head system, the solar panels, the old wind generator, et al..... The bottom has me most concerned right now... This boat was really abandoned in terms of upkeep. I plan to drastically change that. I love her... All the best, Steve
stevelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 07:24   #21

Boat: Hedley Nicol Vagabond MK2, 37'

Hey Srevelf, there was a Cross 37 design from way back, it had hard chine hulls and a ketch rig, I've seen drawings somewhere, Jeff Turner has it on the classic design list, plans could most likely be had if that is what you have.

I'm going to politely disagree with Roy about the sanctity of Cross keels. Norm offered different versions for many of the same boats from the solid shallow cruising keel (often with straight sides) to deeper hollow fins depending on the performance required. He also offered super shallow keels on all 3 hulls like the old Nicols for use in thin water. As you can see the long thin hulls of a multihull can support a variety of configurations if the center of lateral resistance is balanced to the design location. The straight sided cruising keels are nothing to write home about for performance, a NACA section and/or endplate could certainly improve things.

Boards have been added to some boats, one poster somewhere on cruising forums documented increased performance and handling with ama mounted daggers. Modifications such as these, however, are not to be attempted unless you know what you are doing and adequately reinforce the areas of the structure to take the loads and place the board/s in the correct location for balance.

I never met Norm but did correspond with him way back when I was fishing in Alaska. I found him very open minded about his designs as long as performance and structural integrity, as well as the good looks were preserved. It is a loss he isn't here to do the design work himself.
Cavalier MK2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 18:35   #22

Boat: Luger, Southwind, 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalier MK2 View Post
Hey Srevelf, there was a Cross 37 design from way back, it had hard chine hulls and a ketch rig, I've seen drawings somewhere, Jeff Turner has it on the classic design list, plans could most likely be had if that is what you have.

I'm going to politely disagree with Roy about the sanctity of Cross keels. Norm offered different versions for many of the same boats from the solid shallow cruising keel (often with straight sides) to deeper hollow fins depending on the performance required. He also offered super shallow keels on all 3 hulls like the old Nicols for use in thin water. As you can see the long thin hulls of a multihull can support a variety of configurations if the center of lateral resistance is balanced to the design location. The straight sided cruising keels are nothing to write home about for performance, a NACA section and/or endplate could certainly improve things.

Boards have been added to some boats, one poster somewhere on cruising forums documented increased performance and handling with ama mounted daggers. Modifications such as these, however, are not to be attempted unless you know what you are doing and adequately reinforce the areas of the structure to take the loads and place the board/s in the correct location for balance.

I never met Norm but did correspond with him way back when I was fishing in Alaska. I found him very open minded about his designs as long as performance and structural integrity, as well as the good looks were preserved. It is a loss he isn't here to do the design work himself.
What are your thoughts on, "dry rot," "deck soft spots." I'm told it's a Cross vessel.
lonesoldier0408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 21:17   #23

I'm with Roy 100% on dry rot. If the deck "soft spots" are rot the areas need to be cut out and replaced. This is a lot easier to do than trying miracle rot get goops which really just add weight and don't fix the problem. In fact you can cut out a section, bevel the edges with a grinder/sander and do the same to the patch for a scarf joint, very strong without the need for butt blocks or full panel removal....Unless you need to do a full panel removal!

Norm designed both round bottom and chined hulls, often the same design could be built either way. Post a picture, we should be able to tell what it is. I've been around more than a few Cross tri's and kept all the reference material Norm sent me.

The Gougeon's boat building with epoxy book is a free download on the WEST epoxy site and the bible for these sorts of boats if built in wood. Norm also offered foam/glass versions of many of the round hull designs. Ed Horstman's building in foam book would help you get started there available from him on the Tristar site.
Old 05-03-2014, 22:45   #24

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

What the bilder in Canada told me was it was a 41 ft Piver, desiged by Cross, it had canoe stern Amas ! So I sorta believed him ! Maybe he was wrong I don't know ! But he paid for the plans and bilt it so I took his word !!As far as the name it was 30 ys ago so my paper work from back tnem is long gone! and my memory is gone also !!! The last time I saw it was in the Calif delta, and I do remeber the name was changed then ! LOL
Old 08-03-2014, 07:58   #25

Anyone recognize this.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1394294211.679747.jpg
Views:	547
Size:	248.5 KB
ID:	77250Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1394294247.329589.jpg
Views:	397
Size:	220.2 KB
ID:	77251Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1394294311.186889.jpg
Views:	421
Size:	303.0 KB
ID:	77252
Old 09-03-2014, 09:09   #26

It is a Cross. If you measure the length and beam we'll know what model. Pretty easy on land to run a tape on the deck or ground between 2 vertical uprights. There are usually several different cabin options for each model designated with a letter such as B,C etc...It hasn't had a stern extension so you don't have to subtract 2 feet.
Old 09-03-2014, 11:57   #27

I've been told she's 40'. On closer inspection, she has hydraulic wheel, which I have no clue about. Failed to move the rudder. Been on the hard 2 + years. Deck hardware removed, allowing rain in, hole placed in hull to allow it out. A lot of water damage to interior wood. Appears deck ply needs total replacement. Out of my ability to restore... In her day though, she was sweet.!!
Old 11-06-2014, 23:53   #28

Boat: Cross 26, trimaran

Just saw this thread and thought I'd post for the first time. I've got a Cross 26 form 1972 with ama extensions and a swimstep. I spent 9 months last year bringing the boat back to life. Good luck Steve!
Jongleur,
Cherokee made its way down to Ventura and had a major haul out right next to me at the Ventura Boat Yard. It was cool to see two Crosses being brought back side by side.
B Walters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2014, 17:39   #29

Boat: Cross 32r extended to 36'

Hi fellow Cross owners, Norman Cross trimarans rock!!
My Cross 32R is a sister ship to Norm's boat the Crossfire, except she was built out of closed cell foam fiberglass sandwich construction and was lengthened to 36' overall.
Norm designed some fast race boats, which I can attest to.
The 5' racing fin keel allows for some extremely tight pointing to wind.
It is great to see others interested in Norm Cross's creations.
Mark G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2014, 22:56   #30

Boat: Cross 32r extended to 36'

Here is my Cross 32R XClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1402811764.168471.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	322.1 KB
ID:	83089
Mark G. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trimaran