Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-12-2015, 08:24   #1
Senior Cruiser
 
Roy M's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Southwestern Yacht Club, San Diego, CA
Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS
Posts: 3,041
Images: 4
Cross 42 for sale $6900 San Diego

One heck of a deal, folks! socaldmax told me about this: 1983 Cross 42 Trimaran Sailboat
__________________

__________________
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2015, 08:27   #2
Moderator
 
HappyMdRSailor's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2008
Location: North Mississippi
Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon-C22 Chrysler Sunpiper- 19 Potter-Preparing to cruise w/my girl
Posts: 5,980
Re: Cross 42 for sale $6900 San Diego

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy M View Post
One heck of a deal, folks! socaldmax told me about this: 1983 Cross 42 Trimaran Sailboat
Wowza!
__________________

__________________
In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2015, 09:07   #3
Registered User
 
brownoarsman's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Round Bay, Severn River
Boat: Formerly Pearson 28-1, now just a sailing dinghy
Posts: 1,320
Re: Cross 42 for sale $6900 San Diego

With deals like that, why would you ever build your own Flyin Hawaiian?


Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
__________________
brownoarsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2015, 13:03   #4
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: On board in the Chesapeake
Boat: Chris White Voyager 48
Posts: 410
Re: Cross 42 for sale $6900 San Diego

Yup, that's a deal. Dang.
__________________
Joe & Sue
S/V Presto
jdazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2015, 13:30   #5
Registered User
 
four winds's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Wandering the US Gulf Coast
Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds
Posts: 2,138
Re: Cross 42 for sale $6900 San Diego

Reading the ad it seems it needs a bit of work. Owner is absent and hasn't been aboard since March. It's on mooring with no dinghy available (not a big deal).

Fuel tank is unusable and must be replaced. Engine turns over but hasn't been started since sometime before March. A marinized Mercedes.

Has had some deck rot repaired but doesn't look very well done according to the owner. And has more areas that need repaired.

Seems the owner is posting details fairly but there likely must be other issues.

Not saying it's not a deal, don't know. What does a nice turnkey version go for?
__________________
Life begins at the waters edge.
four winds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2015, 13:35   #6
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: On board in the Chesapeake
Boat: Chris White Voyager 48
Posts: 410
Re: Cross 42 for sale $6900 San Diego

$80,000 to $200,000 depending on condition?
__________________
Joe & Sue
S/V Presto
jdazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2015, 13:43   #7
Senior Cruiser
 
SkiprJohn's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2006
Location: Kea'au, Big Island, Hawaii
Boat: Cascade, Sloop, 42 - "Casual"
Posts: 14,192
Re: Cross 42 for sale $6900 San Diego

The Cross 38 I sailed as crew sailed very well. Whoever gets this boat and puts a bit in repairs will have a wonderful cruiser.
__________________
John
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2015, 08:00   #8
Moderator
 
HappyMdRSailor's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2008
Location: North Mississippi
Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon-C22 Chrysler Sunpiper- 19 Potter-Preparing to cruise w/my girl
Posts: 5,980
Re: Cross 42 for sale $6900 San Diego

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
The Cross 38 I sailed as crew sailed very well. Whoever gets this boat and puts a bit in repairs will have a wonderful cruiser.


Skip...

I know things are tight with space there... But a delivery to Kea'au... Hmm...
__________________
In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2015, 08:13   #9
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 1
Re: Cross 42 for sale $6900 San Diego

Paddled out to the boat yesterday, here's what i found:
1. Lots of termite poop in the forward section
2. Extensive mold in a number of places, a strange black mold that forms long spiderwebby veins
3. Aft bilge is full of water - engine is half submerged in water and aft cabin is dank and musty.
4. Deck needs major work - lots of exposed plywood, looks like the original fiberglass deck was very thin and has chipped off in a lot of places.

I've only ever owned plastic, never fiberglass over wood, so i don't know how concerned i should be with the termites and mold. I am concerned by the engine being in the water; the owner says it ran in March, but i dont know if he's aware of the fact that it's currently partially submerged. I'm waiting till a reasonable hour this morning to call; he says he's selling it this weekend or not at all (maybe for tax reasons sense it's almost the first of the year?)

So, yeah, looks like i have to make a decision today about it. I don't have the funds to do a haul out and bottom job right now, which it certainly needs, but it is on a transferrable mooring, so i could wait a bit on that i suppose.

Could anyone tell me off-hand about how much it would cost to haul out a boat that size?
__________________
Mitchhutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2015, 08:21   #10
Registered User
 
snort's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Trunk (boot) of my car
Boat: Tinker Traveller...a dozen feet of bluewater awesomeness!
Posts: 1,031
Re: Cross 42 for sale $6900 San Diego

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchhutch View Post
Paddled out to the boat yesterday, here's what i found:
1. Lots of termite poop in the forward section
2. Extensive mold in a number of places, a strange black mold that forms long spiderwebby veins
3. Aft bilge is full of water - engine is half submerged in water and aft cabin is dank and musty.
4. Deck needs major work - lots of exposed plywood, looks like the original fiberglass deck was very thin and has chipped off in a lot of places.

I've only ever owned plastic, never fiberglass over wood, so i don't know how concerned i should be with the termites and mold. I am concerned by the engine being in the water; the owner says it ran in March, but i dont know if he's aware of the fact that it's currently partially submerged. I'm waiting till a reasonable hour this morning to call; he says he's selling it this weekend or not at all (maybe for tax reasons sense it's almost the first of the year?)

So, yeah, looks like i have to make a decision today about it. I don't have the funds to do a haul out and bottom job right now, which it certainly needs, but it is on a transferrable mooring, so i could wait a bit on that i suppose.

Could anyone tell me off-hand about how much it would cost to haul out a boat that size?
First, thanks for saving me the trip. I'm here in the area right now and was tempted.
I'd venture a guess of $600+ to haul out something that big. Then figure in storage costs dry-docked in the area. It will be a big project.
__________________
snort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2015, 09:02   #11
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: St Petersburg, FL
Boat: Hunter 450
Posts: 84
Re: Cross 42 for sale $6900 San Diego

I know nothing about the west coast, but wouldn't $6900 for a mooring in San Diego be a deal without the boat?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
__________________
engine1218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2015, 09:49   #12
Senior Cruiser
 
Roy M's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Southwestern Yacht Club, San Diego, CA
Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS
Posts: 3,041
Images: 4
Re: Cross 42 for sale $6900 San Diego

Moorings don't go with the boat owner, they go with whoever owns the one-year lease, and so, can be offered to another. Happens all the time here. The Port Authority handles the leases, which aren't that costly, but are in great demand, especially the Laurel Street mooring field.
__________________

__________________
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
for sale, sale, san diego

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Crew Wanted: PNW to San Francisco, San Fran to San Diego and San Diego to Mexico svasunto Crew Archives 19 09-09-2015 20:44
San Diego to San Francisco Catalysis Pacific & South China Sea 13 08-04-2014 07:52
For Sale: 1961 Pearson Triton - $6900 triton274 Classifieds Archive 14 17-06-2012 05:43
Crew Wanted: Cabo San Lucas to San Diego MattDamon2927 Crew Archives 5 06-02-2011 23:44
San Francisco to San Diego riderdiveraz Pacific & South China Sea 21 08-08-2009 22:43



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 15:34.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.