Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-11-2016, 20:23   #16

Boat: None
RE: Cropping A Mast

I think the correct phrase is "buying a power boat."
Caribbeachbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 20:53   #17

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!
Re: Cropping A Mast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caribbeachbum View Post
I think the correct phrase is "buying a power boat."
So you read the Cliff Notes version of my first post in this thread eh

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 07:01   #18
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

these are examples of ketch rigs. aft mast before the rudder
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 13:07   #19

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Have a look at this. Bigger but with two smaller masts:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...at-175395.html
Old 10-11-2016, 12:02   #20
Marine Service Provider

Boat: SS Crocker design #131

I would not suggest cropping a mast for bridge clearance. It is possible to have a tabernacle mast but that's heavy and complicated to do. Also, a boat that was not designed to have a tabernacle may not accommodate one at all.

Our boat (a schooner with foremast of 50' and mainmast of 69') was originally built with a sliding gunter on the mainmast and that is a different way of lowering the mast height. The original owner had bridges to clear. Later, a second owner extended the original mast to be the height it is now -- and that is the height the gunter was when in use. A sliding gunter is essentially a very high peaked gaff rigged sail except the spar is raised vertical rather than horizontal. Once set, there is very little difference in sailing it though, again, it is much more like a Bermuda rigged sail in terms of shape because it is peaked so high.
Old 10-11-2016, 12:45   #21

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
Yep, I thought about the beam on a cat being a size issue on the ICW as well. Since she'll be 20-25' wide. Which would make for lots of "interesting" encounters with other boats. ....................
I'm assuming you've never been on the AICW. There are many catamarans cruising the AICW. There are also tugs pushing barges. There are a very few places where beam is an issue and that's what the VHF is for.
Old 13-11-2016, 07:42   #22

Boat: 2011 Lagoon 450F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeking Solace View Post
There are also hundreds of privately owned docks that are in the bays with Gulf access and no bridges for lease or rent. Some have better rates and more privacy. They'll range from just a dock to docks with water, power, and bathrooms. There are even some with laundry facilities in outbuildings that is included in the rent.
Where would a person look to find these private docks for rent? Craig's list? classified? is there a slip rental webpage you would recommend?
scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2016, 07:44   #23

Boat: 2011 Lagoon 450F

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
these are examples of ketch rigs. aft mast before the rudder
AH!!! thank you! I've seen these, but didn't know what they were called. You've just expanded my sailing knowledge!
scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2016, 10:55   #24

Boat: 1984 Moody 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet View Post
Where would a person look to find these private docks for rent? Craig's list? classified? is there a slip rental webpage you would recommend?
Sorry it took me so long to respond. I was away from the internet for a bit.

Yes, Craigslist, classifieds, and small papers like the shopper and thrifty nickel usually have ads for docks. Just remember that private owners might not have insurance or even safe facilities. I've noticed many of the ones that seem to be nicer are owned by associations and shared by the surrounding land owners. Depth can be a real issue with many of them. It's like buying a house, shop around before you agree to anything and make an educated decision. Private docks also won't have as many people around willing to help you out or look after your stuff while you're away.
Seeking Solace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2016, 10:19   #25

Boat: Leopard 42 - JAMU
Cropping A Mast

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet View Post
I'm sure there is a technical sailor word for doing this, so I apologize for not calling it by it's proper name. What I am asking is has anyone had a tall mast Cat (over 65 feet) and cut the mast to make it ICW compatible.

My husband and I are looking at, roughly, a 45 foot cat, and most all of them meeting our specifications have masts over 65 feet. Since we will be keep it in the Florida panhandle, all of the marinas we like require going under bridges to get to the gulf.

I have heard that it is possible to shorten the mast, (and the sail). However, I'm wondering how that affects both the integrity of the mast, and also, sail performance. Is this truly a safe thing to do?

Also... anyone have a rough idea how much this would cost?

We did just that with our Leopard 42 this year. In conjunction with replacement of the standing rigging (mast down) the incremental cost was not high. Reduced our air draft from 65' to 62' which made the ICW down SW FL feasible. Removed a bit from both the head and foot of the mainsail for the shorter mast. It's a bit like having 1/3 of the first reef - no real loss of performance. Very happy with our new rig!

Safe Sailing, JAMU
JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2016, 14:31   #26

PS: No we don't just cruise the ICW. We 'cropped' our mast to have more options for inside travel and marinas/mooring fields. Matanzas Pass and Boot Key Harbor are good examples of accessibility that we have gained.
Old 20-02-2017, 06:55   #27

Boat: Fountain Pajot Orana 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamuJoe View Post
We did just that with our Leopard 42 this year. In conjunction with replacement of the standing rigging (mast down) the incremental cost was not high. Reduced our air draft from 65' to 62' which made the ICW down SW FL feasible. Removed a bit from both the head and foot of the mainsail for the shorter mast. It's a bit like having 1/3 of the first reef - no real loss of performance. Very happy with our new rig!

Safe Sailing, JAMU
Great to know it's possible. IF you don't mind where did you have that work done and was was the ballpark estimate of the cropping alone.

It sure would give you many more options for WX conditions to keep the better 1/2 happy

Thanks
zerompg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2017, 07:36   #28

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37
ICW Mast

Most Production Catamarans come with an ICW mast option,

The standard mast can easily be cut down by a rigger on most older cats.

On a Fraction mast the gib does not have to be modified.

The main sail needs to be cut to a new length.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Helia 44 ICW mast_3.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	163.5 KB
ID:	141639  
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2017, 02:39   #29

Cropping A Mast

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerompg View Post
Great to know it's possible. IF you don't mind where did you have that work done and was was the ballpark estimate of the cropping alone.

It sure would give you many more options for WX conditions to keep the better 1/2 happy

Thanks

Less than a couple of boat bucks when done as part of rigging replacement (mast already laid down). I used and highly recommend The Yacht Rigger in St Pete. Steve Lloyd 727-490-9553. He works at a number of yards. We used Maximo Marine as a place for the mast removal, waited in a slip at their marina while my compact strand wire was being fabricated, then returned to the yard for mast reinstallation.

Safe Sailing,
sv JAMU
Old 27-02-2017, 03:27   #30

Yeah there is some cost but no, it's not a massive $50k project and unless you go crazy short, it's not going to make a boat a total slug.

Knocking 3-5' off is fairly simple though you do need to make some considerations for cutting/adjusting the rigging, cutting the mainsail down and adjusting the winches and other mast hardware so they remain at a comfortable height.

Now if you are taking a 70' mast and cutting it down to 50', that would be a major performance killer but taking a 65' down to 60-62' won't have a major impact on performance. That would also be a resale price concern as most people shy away from extreme modifications regardless of the quality of the work.

Taking even a large cat down the ICW is not an issue from the perspective of beam. Dismal swamp is about the worst and the locks are still 50' wide (plus there is an alternate route with more width available)
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mast