Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 18-12-2014, 14:43   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.
Re: Cost of New Mast and Rigging?

Sand crab,

Not really. You are assuming that prices go up at a constant rate and that there is a linear relationship between boat size and mast size. Neither of these is true, or even roughly true.

For a particular extrusion price goes up as a function of length, but even here there are certain plateaus. For instance anything under 40' can be shipped LTL in a singe container and won't need sleaving. Anything between 40' and around 45' can go in a single container without sleaving. There is a major difference in LTL freight and full container freight costs.

Above 40' you get into other issues. Between 40-80' a mast only needs to be sleaved once, so they all have the same shipping and handeling costs regardless of leingth, but over 80' would need to be sleaved twice (though in reality a mast this big is likely carbon and everything changes again).

Mast design also can radically effect prices. So a 40' heavily tapered mast will be much more expensive than a 40' continuious extrusion. And a multi spreader rig allows a smaller tube, but obviously has more bits that need to go together and thus more labor.

As for boat size... Again it really depends. Like with boat leingth there are plateaus in mast height. A lot of boats that ideally may be designed with a 54' mast for instance may come with 52' because of bridge height issues, or because of shipping concerns, or because a designer wants to intentionally under canvas the boat. Cruising boats for instance almost always have shorter masts than the same boat intended for racing, just to expand the wind range the boat is safe in.

Frankly you have a lot of moving targets, and a simple formula that doesn't take them into account won't give you a very reliable guess at cost.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2014, 15:07   #17

Boat: Freydis 49' Cat

Carbon mast and park avenue boom just shy of $100k for the freydis
Ex axxon France . Shipped as 1 piece 22.8 m shipping $12k on top of that
Regards
Paul

Old 18-12-2014, 16:25   #18

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Stumble if you look at my last post then you will see that the formula is not linear. And my original post made some assumption like the mast was installed in the US. I didn't spell it out but there are quite a number of manufacturers here like Selden. I assumed the mast would be trucked and not shipped and that does allow for a longer length. Does anyone here buy masts from overseas anyway?

The main point of this thread was to get GENERAL guidelines on mast and rigging replacement prices. No one is going to hold anyone responsible to the prices. If you think that the formula could use some adjustment then let us know.

BTW You want a mast in the Seychelles and you will pay more. We agree on that!
Old 18-12-2014, 21:41   #19

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Dare I ask what you're contemplating building? Also, at times, with some digging, one can source a viable tube, & have it "tuned" to spec/plain old rebuilt. If you find something viable, you can save a LOT of $. Like I saw a C&C 40' tube go for $300, & a Hall Spars (Carbon) Tripp 41' spar go for $2.5k

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2014, 03:27   #20

I'm not building. This is just FMI, for my information. And anyone else's.
Old 19-12-2014, 04:36   #21

Boat: Lagoon 380

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
Yes, but bigger boats require thicker, heavier and wider masts. Price by the foot is only good for a specific mast section. More spreaders allow thinner masts but I suspect the price difference would be a wash.

So if a new L380 rig is about $18,000 and a generic 48' cat's mast is about twice as much then we could use $18,000 as a baseline and for each foot increase in length multiplied by a tenth more. In other words a 39' would be $18K multiplied by 1.1 and a 40' would be $18K x 1.2 and so on.

Does that seem about right? More or less?
No - you better use the stability scale ie: (Price of larger boat mast) = 18000*(LargerBoatLength)^4/(38)^4.
Old 19-12-2014, 11:49   #22

Boat: Lagoon 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by django37 View Post
No - you better use the stability scale ie: (Price of larger boat mast) = 18000*(LargerBoatLength)^4/(38)^4.
If power 4 is used then 48 ft boat cost should be 2.5 x 18k. As we know it is 2x more expensive then ^3 is more appropriate and probably provides better estimate:

(Price of larger boat mast) = 18000*(LargerBoatLength)^3/(38)^3
Old 19-12-2014, 12:41   #23
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Something less than 40' OAL is the limit for conventional over-the-road shipping in the US. There are some 53' rigs on the road but that brings in a whole other set of limitations.

So the length of the mast, whether you will accept sleeving (common because of the 40' limit), and whether you can avoid shipping, (i.e. by being in the right place) all will add into the mix.
Old 20-12-2014, 10:39   #24

Right. That's why the bigger boat stuff costs more. BTW Sparcraft in South Carolina say they have the "longest anodizing tanks in the world" and their own specially equipped semi truck. I'll bet they make one piece masts longer than 53' and truck them out within the oversized load regs all the time. If you need a really big mast then you must be able to afford it.

Back to the formulas which I really appreciate from django and arsenal. Wow, that's a bunch of digits for us mortals with regular calculators. Anything simpler?

Tags
mast, rigging

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: