Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-03-2018, 19:53   #1

Cost of Catamaran Sailing (Yes AGAIN!)

Hello everyone, I am hoping the more experienced sailors will chime in here! I am pulling the trigger and planning to enter the cruising world next year, but am a little concerned that with money being tight I may fail somewhere along the line and wanted opinions. The goal would be to sail for the next 5-10 years around the Globe.

First, my purchase: My choices are a Lagoon 380, 400, or 410 or a Fountaine Pajot Athena 38, Lipari 41 or Lavezzi 40. The year of manufacture I am looking at is 2000 through 2007. My price range is maxed out at 170k with about 30k saved for a refit. After that I will have NO liquid cash and if something happens, I would have 30k remaining in a Roth 401k I could withdraw.

Income: I would have $2300/month passively (rental income plus stocks minus insurance) of which I broke down the following PER MONTH:

boat mx

Food

mooring

gas

phone

boat insurance

Total

Now I am aware that the margins look VERY close, but I am also hopeful that I will not be spending $1000 EVERY month on maintenance and that getting a full refit would lower large expenses along the way. I am also aware that there is not money left over for exploration, entertainment, or travel away from the boat, but am hopeful I may be able to earn some money along the way. I am also hoping to be at anchor often and hopefully avoid a $200/mo charge every now and then.

I have always subscribed to the philosophy that where there is a will, there is a way, but I do not have the sailing experience to verify that this is not a complete failure waiting to happen.

I have watched EVERY SINGLE VIDEO out there on cost and it appears I could make it work by comparison. What says this knowledgeable group? Do my estimated costs seem accurate?

Thanks all!
tanre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 20:00   #2

Boat: LAGOON 400
Re: Cost of Catamaran Sailing (Yes AGAIN!)

get boat with fewest possible gadgets you can live with and least after factory modifications and you will be fine.

thats where most money sinks.
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 21:43   #3

Boat: Lagoon 400

I suggest buying one of the small older cats in your list that come relatively fitted out for less than your total. Then save the remainder for rainy day when big expenses hit.
pathlesschosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 17:01   #4

Out Chasing Stars is a great blog featuring a Fountaine Pajot Helia 44 cruising full time. They posted their total cruising costs in a very detailed breakdown. They have another article covering their first year costs. Hope this helps.

Out Chasing Stars Cruising Costs & Boat Expenses for our Second Year of Cruising
Thalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2018, 08:41   #5

Boat: 40' Leopard

The biggest cost is is repairs. That can be drastically reduced once you learn the boat and how to fix things. Less is better.
Good Luck
rancher44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catamaran, sail, sailing