Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-05-2012, 20:13   #46

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40
Re: Corsair 37 or Dragonfly 35: Which Is Better for Blue Water Passage Making ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike w View Post
I think the DF 35' is a perfect size if there was a full double aft bunk. Would be cool if the traveler was on a Targa bar, if done right and the wheel could be removed and the arm could swing out of the way to the side.

The TNT looks nice as well for the price. The 1200 DF is $600,000 new not including extras and the extras a ridiculously expensive in some cases criminal. At least double to 4x the price you could get anywhere else. Wonder what they are thinking. Still a very beautiful boat and I guess if you buy it as a long term keeper it would be worth the extra cost. Would be cool to live off of. What kind of daily averages are you seeing on the 1200? Wonder which is faster the DF 35' or the 1200?
The DF-35 does have a full double aft bunk, and it is definitely a faster boat than the DF-1200. The 1200 might have a higher top speed, but the 35 will be faster in light air and get into "the teens" much sooner than the 1200. In moderate 10-20 knot winds a 35 will run away from a 1200.

What you lose in speed you more than make up in comfort, in the 1200. Not only is it more seaworthy in bigger seas and stronger winds, but it is much more spacious and more richly finished. The 1200 interior finish rivals the best "yachts" in the size range, and the craftsmanship is better than the 35 or any other of the newer DF models.

My boat has the base engine which making 57 HP. We motor at a cruising speed of 7.5-8 knots, and top speed under power is a hair under 9 knots. You can opt for larger engines (up to 150 HP) and motor at 15 knots. Under sail it all depends on the winds, sea state and point of sail, but with apparent winds in the 15-25 knot range we are very comfortable sailing in the 9-14 knot boat speed ranges while loaded for cruising (full tanks, provisions, dinghy/outboard and tools/spares with family of 4). I have taken the boat faster but I'm not into racing or pushing it, and we slow the boat if sea state is rough. I know other people have taken the 1200 much faster.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2012, 20:43   #47

Quote:
snip
and the extras a ridiculously expensive in some cases criminal. At least double to 4x the price you could get anywhere else. Wonder what they are thinking.
snip
I haven't priced a Dragonfly from factory since 2001, but at that time I thought their markup was less than the costs of installation by a qualified yard. Some options such as radar or heat can be very difficult installs after the boat is built, and it's smart to order it from the factory. Also, Dragonfly installed lightning bonding in my boat and a prior DF 920 I owned, while the boats were being built. That would have been impossible to do (as well) after the headliner and mast step were installed.

BTW the lightning protection was tested when the boat was struck, and the boat incurred no hull or rig damage (it was hauled for thorough survey to make sure). Only electronics were affected.
Old 18-05-2012, 02:34   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailFastTri View Post
I haven't priced a Dragonfly from factory since 2001, but at that time I thought their markup was less than the costs of installation by a qualified yard. Some options such as radar or heat can be very difficult installs after the boat is built, and it's smart to order it from the factory. Also, Dragonfly installed lightning bonding in my boat and a prior DF 920 I owned, while the boats were being built. That would have been impossible to do (as well) after the headliner and mast step were installed.

BTW the lightning protection was tested when the boat was struck, and the boat incurred no hull or rig damage (it was hauled for thorough survey to make sure). Only electronics were affected.
Cheers Thanks for the insight. You have a very beautiful boat!
Mike w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2012, 04:24   #49

Quote:
Cheers Thanks for the insight. You have a very beautiful boat!
Thanks. It's truly my dream boat and I feel very lucky to own it.

Here's an image of our wake at 14 knots in flat water. Compare the rail top to the horizon and you can see we're not heeling much at all.

Old 18-05-2012, 08:51   #50

Boat: No boat..yet.every now and then they let me be the winch monkey...

Indeed thx Sailfasttri for sharing your experience!
And that seat on the left would be mine!!

@Mike;I think that targa is a good idea,it would be easy to set up a bimini while sailing no matter you are downwind or on a beamreach.In my case it will keep me dry when I am waiting for locks&bridges,were I am I do not need protection against the sun

On the dragonfly forum there is a df1200 owner summarizing his ARC 2006 journey;
Dragonfly Trimarans :: View topic - DF1200 in the ARC

(scroll a bit down)

@motorcat;I think your doing a fine job on that TNT 34!

Have a nice weekend!

Cheers,
JJ
JJ77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2012, 13:40   #51
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ77 View Post

@motorcat;I think your doing a fine job on that TNT 34!
see the videos taken during Baltisc trails :
motorcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2012, 22:40   #52

My Corsair 37 arrives next month. I'll trim it out in black, so black bottom paint, black bimini / dodger, pinstripe etc. I live in a warm place thus the crazy Orange color. haha
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	436
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	41216   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	569
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	41217  

Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	451
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	41218   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	416
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	41219  

Mike w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2012, 04:32   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor
Older C37s couldnt have a history yet, they have only been on the market a few years. I know of no C37 structural issues.
The older 37 is the corsair 36 and the did have problems. They seemed to be resolved in the 37.
Flight Risk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2012, 04:44   #54

Boat: No boat..yet.every now and then they let me be the winch monkey...

Although not a DF 35,still it's smaller sister was launched yesterday;
Dragonfly Trimarans by Quorning Boats of Denmark | DF 32 launch Breaking News - DF 32 launch

did not know were to put this news,it does not happen very often that DF launches a new one.their site says it is category B.no targa bar...again.

Cheers,
JJ
JJ77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2012, 04:35   #55

Boat: Hanse 371

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailFastTri View Post
From the web site it looks like version 1.0 hasn't even been finished. Has a Trimax ever floated in water?
The Trimax lies in the water in Blankenberge ( Belgium ) since 07/2011.
I know because it's on the same pontoon as my boat ( 4 meters away )

Greetz,

Koen
scarab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2012, 07:15   #56

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Corsairs are amazing boats and great fun to sail, but would not be my choice for serious offshore work. Even Ian Farrier has stated they were never intended as offshore boats.

I've only done about 200 nm offshore (technically near coastal) on a Corsair F-31 in moderately heavy conditions and that was quite enough thank you very much. Very uncomfortable, very wet, impossible to sleep if off watch. Upside is that we were still able to maintain about 15 knots so it was over relatively fast!
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2014, 12:59   #57

Boat: 1985 Tartan 34

Hi there - sorry for the thread necromancy.

Does anyone with experience with the Dragonfly 1200 ever trailer it?

We are considering a folding trimaran as an option for part-time cruising/ part-time liveaboards doing Summers in the Great Lakes and Winters in the South. The DF 1200 looks like a great boat for cruising.
Old 27-07-2014, 20:16   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by dergon View Post

We are considering a folding trimaran as an option for part-time cruising/ part-time liveaboards doing Summers in the Great Lakes and Winters in the South. The DF 1200 looks like a great boat for cruising.
I own a DF-1200. This is NOT trailerable.... unless:

If you have a Kenworth tractor and a 40-foot flatbed then yes you can trailer it, provided you can hire a lift crane or Travelift at each end of the trip. You'll also need the crane to step/unstep the mast, and depending on state regs -- a lead car and chase car with wide load signs.

PS -- it's 14 feet wide when folded. You might be able to avoid wide-load restrictions if you demount the amas and cross-beams, but that's extra work for a crew of three with a fork lift or crane with sling.
Old 28-07-2014, 02:47   #59
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by dergon View Post

And the Corsair 37 is probably more realistically relocatable than trailerable. Nevertheless both it and the bigger Dragonfly boats can be moved relatively easily compared to many other world cruising boats.

As for the smaller ones, there is an old saying a XXXXXX (farrier/corsiar/dragonfly) goes to windward at 100 kph.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2014, 08:26   #60
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

For sft: how good is a df1000 at sea? Would you take the smaller df's across oceans?
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
corsair