Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-05-2012, 02:37   #31

Re: Corsair 37 or Dragonfly 35: Which Is Better for Blue Water Passage Making ?

The only thing I would say is fairly accurate is if you go by what both companies state The Corsair says its over 35% lighter and it has 2 more feet of waterline. I look at the pics and the interior of the Dragonfly is way nicer trimmed out everywhere, and has a big ol inboard engine while the C37 has a 20hp outboard. It's pretty obvious to me that the weight of the DF would be a fair bit more, exactly would be impossible to know. The beam to length ratio looks pretty similar and if anything the hull on the DF looks wider. So they must be using magic bottom paint and a foil to lift the extra 35% of weight out of the water. No idea. Testing would be believing, but all I saw was a promo vid of some obvious racers pushing the limits, which did look cool BTW.

BUT...still it is of course possible that the DF could beat the C37, there is more to a race than a boat alone.

I quite like the DF 35' just wish the traveller didn't run through the cockpit and I see the backrest looks like it raises but nowhere on the site or even the internet can I find a picture of it. Also wonder if anyone enclosed the cockpit? Again no pictures and is there an aft bunk? No pictures again....
Mike w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2012, 08:18   #32

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Here you go:

Dragonfly Trimarans by Quorning Boats of Denmark | welcome

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2012, 08:39   #33
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike w View Post
Sorry Have to disagree. Just look at the two the Dragonfly has an inboard while the Corsair has an outboard. The Dragonfly is decked out with wood inside while the corsair is just a basic fiber shell. Lightship (even if maker is off) is no where near 3900 kg States 2490kg Corsair Marine Trailerable Trimaran - Yacht Models
Dragonfly 3900kg
Dragonfly Trimarans by Quorning Boats of Denmark | DRAGONFLY 35 Specifications
Also comparing a Dragonfly 35' vs a 37' Corsair.

If sailed by the same 2 people I am sure the Corsair would win.

Still the dragonfly is a much nicer boat all round but that is why it costs a lot more.
This is why TNT 34 will beat them and by wide margin.
2400kg, more sails, nice finishes and less money than Dragonfly or Corsair.(almost the same size ). TNT offers largest cockpit of any Df or Corsair.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00008.jpg
Views:	951
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	41099   Click image for larger version

Name:	inetrior SR.jpg
Views:	2301
Size:	237.1 KB
ID:	41100  

motorcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2012, 15:53   #34

What do the TNT 34' sell for? Also what is the headroom inside?
Old 16-05-2012, 16:20   #35
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

The OP says ignore the price, well okay is the DF. BUT I cant ignore price, so for me its the Corsair 37, and by quite a margin.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2012, 16:30   #36

I feel the same way. I like the size and layout of the Corsair 37 best. The traveller is off the back giving a huge cockpit, and has the bunk aft and enough room inside. I got mine for $280,000 added maybe $40,000 in top of the line options like lithium batteries, 25hp engine a inflatable with outboard, 3 high output thin racing solar panels from Italy, top of the line electronics, wind generator, full bimini and can fully enclose the cockpit making the interior space massive. Can hit will over 20 knots, and a person I know lives off of one loaded, and averages 11 knots a day sailing very long distances. That's 264 nm a day! I checked into building a F39 and was quoted over $600,000 and that was not even with all the extras.

I think even the price I paid is high for this type of boat, but it was what I wanted to sail.
Old 16-05-2012, 17:34   #37

Not to rain on your parade but Ian Farrier has "disowned" the Corsair 37 as the design was modified without his approval. There were some structural issues as I recall and any older C37 should be very carefully inspected by someone very familiar with the boats (not your average surveyor).
sailronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2012, 18:27   #38
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Older C37s couldnt have a history yet, they have only been on the market a few years. I know of no C37 structural issues.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2012, 19:42   #39

Yes well aware of this and have talked with a couple people who have extensively sailed the 37 and very happy with it. A lot of it is talk.
Old 16-05-2012, 23:44   #40
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike w View Post
What do the TNT 34' sell for? Also what is the headroom inside?
the price for the first units is 199.000 EUR exluding VAT ready to sail
interior layout attached
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TNT34_41.jpg
Views:	1180
Size:	123.1 KB
ID:	41122  
Old 17-05-2012, 00:15   #41

Boat: No boat..yet.every now and then they let me be the winch monkey...

Very interesting thread!

Yes the bar on the DF35 can be raised and you can use it to pull the tent over the cockpit,you need to push the traveller to the side however.
On the dragonfly site there are some pictures of it,well at least of the bar in some different positions and the 2 seats/bench behind the wheel.
If you click on this link;
Dragonfly Trimarans by Quorning Boats of Denmark | Photo Gallery Photo Gallery

and then click on "Dragonfly 35 construction log" again(yes again,you'll see) and then you can choose between consruction log and dragonfly 35 concept,choose concept on the right and the 6th picture shows you the raised bar/tent.it is an adobe presentation so I can not copy it here.

Not quite sure what I would choose,the DF 35 is more expensive yet it seems easy to fold,I do not know how easy it is on the corsair,anyone?
(or on the Trimax or the TNT 34 for that matter but I do not wanna have a thread drift)

I would be cruising myself and the only thing which bothers me about the DF 35(aside from the price) is the traveller which splits the cockpit,is it possible to have a targa
like structure in order to free up the cockpit from the traveller and what would be the disadvantages?anyone?

The kayak garage on the DF 35 is a supercool feature,I wonder,would a folded banana boat fit into that garage?You would be one of the few below 50ft yachtowners with a hard bottom dinghy garage,how cool is that?

Had a look at the used market and there are not a lot of DF 35's and corsairs 37's for sale,saw only one df1200 which I prefer since I want to cruise not race around the buoys.Not quite sure how many DF 1200's have been built.anyone knowthis?(whoops therad drift..sorry)

Btw;that contour 50 is awesome,you'll rule the waves!unfortunately
I do not have a backyard to park the monster...

Cheers,
JJ
JJ77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2012, 00:29   #42
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ77 View Post
Very interesting thread!

Not quite sure what I would choose,the DF 35 is more expensive yet it seems easy to fold,I do not know how easy it is on the corsair,anyone?
(or on the Trimax or the TNT 34 for that matter but I do not wanna have a thread drift)

Cheers,
JJ
The New Trimaran TNT 34 use pivot/sliding system. This is a novel way to approach folding developed by J. Kostanski in 2009 and subject to a patent. The idea was to combine two movements into firstly sliding and then pivot as the beams are coming in via 60 cm( 2 ft) long sleeve. Amas are supported by water due to small designed buoyancy thus making folding possible and easy . On the trailer the floats are tacked away under the main hull without any disassembly .The sleeve is acting as solid long holder once bolted to the deck (similar bolting takes place on Farrier system). Once the beam is locked in the sleeve the float is fixed via cantilever to the main hull. To reduce forces a two S/S wire struts will be provided for each float.Sliding will be easy thanks Teflon strips inside the sleeve and ss strips on the beams. The beams require precise tolling to avoid jamming and special aluminum tooling will be employed to assure straight line and smooth gliding. The folding in will be also quick and effortless due to using the winch on the deck. See attached movie sample of unfolding from marina to sail position
Old 17-05-2012, 08:11   #43

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Imagine leaving that boat folded in a salt water slip for a week.
Those tramps would be barnacle city.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2012, 08:38   #44

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ77 View Post
Very interesting thread!

snip
I would be cruising myself and the only thing which bothers me about the DF 35(aside from the price) is the traveller which splits the cockpit,is it possible to have a targa
like structure in order to free up the cockpit from the traveller and what would be the disadvantages?anyone?
snip
Cheers,
JJ
Detaching the main sheet is not an issue. It is done with a captive-pin shackle.

I own a DF 1200 but all the Dragonfly tris come equipped with a preventer/downhaul (on each side) that is a detachable control line that connects the end of the boom to the end of the aft crossbeam. That control is used under under sail only on the lee side, to trangulate the sheet and prevent the boom from rising (or gybing by accident) when running deep.

The other use for those control lines is at anchor, to keep the boom from swinging. If you were to raise the cockpit tent, you would detach the sheet but keep one or both preventer/downhaul lines attached, and the boom would be under control.

You can see those control lines in this picture on my boat.

SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2012, 17:16   #45

I think the DF 35' is a perfect size if there was a full double aft bunk. Would be cool if the traveller was on a Targa bar, if done right and the wheel could be removed and the arm could swing out of the way to the side.

The TNT looks nice as well for the price. The 1200 DF is $600,000 new not including extras and the extras a ridiculously expensive in some cases criminal. At least double to 4x the price you could get anywhere else. Wonder what they are thinking. Still a very beautiful boat and I guess if you buy it as a long term keeper it would be worth the extra cost. Would be cool to live off of. What kind of daily averages are you seeing on the 1200? Wonder which is faster the DF 35' or the 1200?

Tags
corsair