Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2010, 13:55   #16
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 73
Good evening,
If you're looking at the Corsair, you should seriously consider the Ian Farrier F36. It is a proper ocean going tri by a leading designer. Farrier's boats are well engineered, strong and sails beautifully.
Because they are designed for amateur (experienced-, in the case of the F36) construction, it means that should anything go wrong, the boat can be repaired almost anywhere in the world by the skipper with Farrier's technical support via e-mail.

The F36 has ample space down below for life onboard while doing long passages.

Happy looking,
Banjo.
__________________

__________________
Banjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 09:58   #17
Registered User
 
freetime's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Posts: 685
Images: 2
A few questions...

Budget?

When?

I think you like Dragonfly 35 or 1200 very much, but also if the price is one big thing you can get more boat for the money if you dont need a folding one.

And a 1200 is as SailFastTri said, bigger is not harder. In strong winds yes, and little more tricky in the harbours. I sailed a 65f mono this summer, fantastic easy to sail alone or two persons. The only thing is things take times, to tack or change sails. Harbours = nightmare....

If you dont need a folding one, then look at these...

Catamarans

aerofleet 45
outremer 45
edel 33 (sooo fast...) and cheap...

Trimarans

Contour 50 (Same price as a one year old DF35)
Trimax Trimax Trimarans (folding)
Navalforce3 Naval Force 3 - Accueil (folding)
__________________

__________________
Joakim
freetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 16:22   #18
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 52
Thank you everyone for your replies! This is such a helpful community!
__________________
WhataWorld! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 16:25   #19
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 52
My budget for the boat is around 800,000 U.S., but I can go higher.

I want to set sail in a few years. I will be sailing solo.
__________________
WhataWorld! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2010, 12:35   #20
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Netherlands
Boat: trimaran trimax 1080
Posts: 1
the trimax is one of the best solo yacht's
__________________
robinwaslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2010, 13:06   #21
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,062
Quote:
Originally Posted by robinwaslander View Post
the trimax is one of the best solo yacht's
From the web site it looks like version 1.0 hasn't even been finished. Has a Trimax ever floated in water?
__________________
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2010, 13:50   #22
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Posts: 310
Freetime,

I have a Countour 50 in my back yard that is for sale. Carbon fiber rig, electric primaries, genset, and all the cruising gear you would need. Boat has seen very little use and would likely be price comparably to the 37's and 35's you are looking at.
__________________
Abaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2010, 05:26   #23
Registered User
 
oscar's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bethlehem, PA
Posts: 68
Quote:
Because they are designed for amateur (experienced-, in the case of the F36) construction, it means that should anything go wrong, the boat can be repaired almost anywhere in the world by the skipper with Farrier's technical support via e-mail.
Don't get me wrong, I love Farrier's product, they are VERY well designed boats. But, the "experienced" in the statement above should be underlined, bold and capitalized.

Then it follows, that if you're THAT good, you can fix anything, Farrier or not. So, the statement is really suggesting something that is not there.

In addition to being a very well sailing boat, the only benefit of Ian's DIY product is saving money, in exchange for thousands of hours of your time.
__________________
Out there, alone, there is only truth.
oscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2010, 12:37   #24
Registered User
 
freetime's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Posts: 685
Images: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abaco View Post
Freetime,

I have a Countour 50 in my back yard that is for sale. Carbon fiber rig, electric primaries, genset, and all the cruising gear you would need. Boat has seen very little use and would likely be price comparably to the 37's and 35's you are looking at.
Thanks, is it any of the one at yachtworld.com? I like the boat my only problem is i don´t have the money Yet. Thanks....
__________________
Joakim
freetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 00:13   #25
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 9
Re: Corsair 37 or Dragonfly 35: Which Is Better for Blue Water Passage Making ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by freetime View Post
A few questions...

Budget?

When?

I think you like Dragonfly 35 or 1200 very much, but also if the price is one big thing you can get more boat for the money if you dont need a folding one.

And a 1200 is as SailFastTri said, bigger is not harder. In strong winds yes, and little more tricky in the harbours. I sailed a 65f mono this summer, fantastic easy to sail alone or two persons. The only thing is things take times, to tack or change sails. Harbours = nightmare....

If you dont need a folding one, then look at these...

Catamarans

aerofleet 45
outremer 45
edel 33 (sooo fast...) and cheap...

Trimarans

Contour 50 (Same price as a one year old DF35)
Trimax Trimax Trimarans (folding)
Navalforce3 Naval Force 3 - Accueil (folding)
Is the new folding trimaran TNT 34 which compared to above :
www.tnt34.com
Welcome to Facebook - Log In, Sign Up or Learn More
__________________
motorcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:12   #26
Registered User

Join Date: May 2012
Location: Turkey
Boat: Lagoon 380
Posts: 124
Re: Slips

Quote:
Originally Posted by slap View Post
.

The Corsair is a faster, lighter boat, but by the time it would get loaded it might not have as big of a performance edge.

I myself would take the Dragonfly 35. How can you not like a tri that you can fit a sea kayak inside of each ama?
I've only one raceresult with both Dragonfly 35 and Corsair 37: 2 Dragonflies and 1 Corsair joined the IMM2011 race in Stockholm. Certainly the Dragonflies were faster: Elapsed times 2:10:40 and 2:14:35, were the Corsair needed 2:22:03. Wind was around 10 knots.

Lars
__________________
django37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 19:38   #27
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 82
Re: Slips

Quote:
Originally Posted by django37 View Post
I've only one raceresult with both Dragonfly 35 and Corsair 37: 2 Dragonflies and 1 Corsair joined the IMM2011 race in Stockholm. Certainly the Dragonflies were faster: Elapsed times 2:10:40 and 2:14:35, were the Corsair needed 2:22:03. Wind was around 10 knots.

Lars
Perhaps one the race but probably due to crew. The Corsair 37 would be a faster boat for sure if you just look at the weight difference. The Dragonfly is a high end luxury tri while the Corsair is a race cruiser. Also the Dragonfly costs a lot more. I think the 1200 was around $600,000! Same as a 46' catamaran new. It is a very nice boat though. Corsair 37' $280,000. Half the price as the 1200.
__________________
Mike w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2012, 01:42   #28
Registered User

Join Date: May 2012
Location: Turkey
Boat: Lagoon 380
Posts: 124
Re: Corsair 37 or Dragonfly 35: Which Is Better for Blue Water Passage Making ?

Both Dragonflies were 4480 kg, the Corsair 37: 3900 kg - not much difference. (Dont believe what the yard prints, weigh the boats!)

The 2 Dragonflies had family-cruised from Denmark til Stockholm. The Corsair was sailed by the German dealer, I'm sure he tried his best
The results are here: Racing
Lars
__________________
django37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2012, 18:40   #29
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 82
Re: Corsair 37 or Dragonfly 35: Which Is Better for Blue Water Passage Making ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by django37 View Post
Both Dragonflies were 4480 kg, the Corsair 37: 3900 kg - not much difference. (Dont believe what the yard prints, weigh the boats!)

The 2 Dragonflies had family-cruised from Denmark til Stockholm. The Corsair was sailed by the German dealer, I'm sure he tried his best
The results are here: Racing
Lars
Sorry Have to disagree. Just look at the two the Dragonfly has an inboard while the Corsair has an outboard. The Dragonfly is decked out with wood inside while the corsair is just a basic fiber shell. Lightship (even if maker is off) is no where near 3900 kg States 2490kg Corsair Marine Trailerable Trimaran - Yacht Models
Dragonfly 3900kg
Dragonfly Trimarans by Quorning Boats of Denmark | DRAGONFLY 35 Specifications
Also comparing a Dragonfly 35' vs a 37' Corsair.

If sailed by the same 2 people I am sure the Corsair would win.

Still the dragonfly is a much nicer boat all round but that is why it costs a lot more.
__________________
Mike w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2012, 01:00   #30
Registered User

Join Date: May 2012
Location: Turkey
Boat: Lagoon 380
Posts: 124
Re: Corsair 37 or Dragonfly 35: Which Is faster?

So in the future, we dont have to measure and weigh the boats, and calculate complicated ratings, we can just ask you, which boat is faster?
__________________

__________________
django37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
corsair

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
'Blue Water' - What Does This Mean to You? sailorboy1 General Sailing Forum 47 02-01-2017 04:18
Wanted: Blue Chart chip for Alaska Inside Passage Sailing Dave Classifieds Archive 0 01-10-2009 22:39
Blue Water or Fresh Water? John-in-Hamilton General Sailing Forum 13 26-08-2009 02:11
Antigua - Passage Making - March '09 Scottie2 Training, Licensing & Certification 0 15-12-2008 13:59
Noob Question - When Offshore Making a Long Passage Sterling Provisioning: Food & Drink 5 29-08-2008 07:29



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 19:51.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.