Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-05-2008, 05:06   #1
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bateau TW28 Long Cabin
Cool retro tri for sale

Spotted this on E-Bay and thought it was a really neat looking trimaran.

eBay Motors: 1967 Tradewinds Trimaran (item 270240513087 end time Jun-01-08 09:57:43 PDT)&

And here I thought the Farrier's were the innovator of the folding tri's!
knottybuoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2008, 12:22   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
That is an interestinmg look for a boat of that age. It brings me top a question of why do tri's not seem to take advantage of the extra width and build a deck/cabin to suit. So far all tri designs I have ever seen are huge foot print vessels with often less cabin space than a mono. Why do they not make a cabin like a cat cabin in that spans right across?

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2008, 13:21   #3

Boat: Searunner 34 and Searunner Constant Camber 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Wheeler View Post
That is an interestinmg look for a boat of that age. It brings me top a question of why do tri's not seem to take advantage of the extra width and build a deck/cabin to suit. So far all tri designs I have ever seen are huge foot print vessels with often less cabin space than a mono. Why do they not make a cabin like a cat cabin in that spans right across?
I imaginine it has a bit to do with trying to minimize windage. Also because tri's have relatively fine hulls, they seem to be rather sensitive to excess weight.

It is a really cool looking boat though. I like the parabolic netting and cockpit.

Maren

The sea is always beautiful, sometimes mysterious and, on occasions, frighteningly powerful.
Maren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2008, 14:25   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: PDQ 36 & Atlantic 42
There were several really large trimarans built in the early days with huge cabins that spanned all three hulls. They were roomy, sloppy in a seaway, and excruciatingly slow. Some of them were exceedingly well built, and can be seen all around the world, but the lesson learned was "light makes right" Just as in catamarans, there are a number of vessels best considered "motor sailors" that didn't start out to be so.
Cruise yachtworld.com for trimarans over 40' for a surprising collection of these yachts, running the gamut from 3 long rowing shells loosely connected by gossamer struts, to virtual floating hotels with a half dozen en-suite guestrooms. Its pretty easy to see that those heavy amas (the outside hulls) would be slow to climb out of a big swell. Hey wheels, didn't Hartley design a tri? A 36?
sandy daugherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2008, 21:30   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Its actually not so bad looking. I was visualizing some squarish, hippie looking, plywood thing with peeling paint and mildew that you might see rotting away down at the Berkeley Marina.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2008, 23:11   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Here's a tri that attempts to use available footprint...

The Long Ranger:- Trimaran Superyacht, Singapore

Charter LONG RANGER Trimaran - 4 cabins - Singapore, Langkawi,Singapore,Tioman,Bintan,Batam,Singapore Grand Prix,Andaman Sea,South China Sea,Malaysia,Indonesia,Indian Ocean, - Boatbookings.com

This is a pretty fantastic boat. I've been aboard at its coming out party and know the master. A good friend of mine was invited on a delivery trip from Singapore to Phuket.

Oh - BTW she's for sale if you have a couple of quid laying about...

1996 Custom Trimaran Boat For Sale
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2008, 23:49   #7

here is another one..
CUSTOM 60 Trimaran FREEDOM 1986 Used
I reckon it uses its "footprint "quite well......
matt.lynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2008, 23:58   #8

Boat: Searunner 34 and Searunner Constant Camber 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
I was visualizing some squarish, hippie looking, plywood thing with peeling paint and mildew that you might see rotting away down at the Berkeley Marina.
A lot of those there? I always sort of imagined that area would have transformed itself into a super-yuppie haven with only historical references to anything related to the 60's or 70's.

Maren

The sea is always beautiful, sometimes mysterious and, on occasions, frighteningly powerful.
Maren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2008, 19:45   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maren View Post
A lot of those there? I always sort of imagined that area would have transformed itself into a super-yuppie haven with only historical references to anything related to the 60's or 70's.
Yuppies in Berkeley?...maybe some in the hills. But as far as the flat lands go, it still looks like a Grateful Dead reunion...except they are in their 60's now while in the mean time the homeless have taken over the streets. The politics are still the same though. Actually, the yuppies are in neighboring Emeryville where they allow capitalism.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 16:48   #10

Re: What Hedley design is this tri?

I bought Ceil in 2005 and refit her as best I could. I would love to know what model she is in the Nicholl book. Can anyone identify her?
She is 1967 31' but looks like she was lengthened from 28' with the sugar scoop which I believe was added to offset the inboard yanmar diesel, she has a skeg rudder, a central 'skeg' on the main hull (none on the amas) and a yanmar saildrive (folding prop).
I changed the long forward windows to the small ports because on this boat the main bulkhead (under the mast) extends across the whole cabin and there's no way to see out anyway besides, Ceil is anchored off Catalina Island (Southern California) all year so the large plex was just a liability anyway as waves do crash over her occasionally... She has been completely re-glassed with epoxy and solar/wind power added.
Any help in the id would be appreciated.Cheers! (Ceil-Pre-Flight)LARGE
(Ceil-Pre-Flight)smaller
(on the hard, skeg, rudder Port View) LARGE
bluetriguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 08:37   #11

Boat: Hedley Nicol Vagabond MK2, 37'
Re: Cool retro tri for sale

It is an Islander, designed length 29' with a widened cabin. The book "Pelinta" by Francis Smith tells of the building and sailing of a Islander in Oz back in the day and has much useful information. Like all the Nicols it was designed for skeg keels on all the amas though many have been modified for a deeper LAR keel on the main hull like a Cross or have had boards added.
Cavalier MK2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 09:23   #12

Re: Cool retro tri for sale - identify this trimaran

Thanks for the info. I have requested the ancient DMV records from California as I'm trying to get insurance and this is obviously a yard built vessel.
I have shortened the skeg on the main hull from 4' to 3' which is just enough to protect the saildrive.

The boat was beached a couple of times before I got her and I'd like to look at installing skegs outboard and going a little shorter on the main to make intentional beaching a better experience for everyone. Ceil had a 1"x2" piece of dryrot in the stern of the strbd ama (from rain water - it was fresh water...), when I refit after sitting for 40 years out in the pacific (many with NO LOVE).

The old polyester skin was removed (came off like a glove after flexing for so long) and I re-skinned with glass/epoxy.

Thanks again for the info, I'll start the search for Islander drawings today.
Cheers!http://www.cruisersforum.com/images/smilies/smile.gif
bluetriguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 13:21   #13

Boat: Hedley Nicol Vagabond MK2, 37'
Re: Cool retro tri for sale

There is a small layout drawing and sail plan in the book "Pelinta". The Nicol family still has transparencies of the Islander plans as well as most of the other designs but I haven't been able to talk them into making them available yet. There are some rig and profile drawings I've posted on boatdesign.net on the Nicol plan thread as well as pictures sent in by different owners, mostly of the 35' wanderer design, the larger cruiser. I've got some other models layout and sailplan/ profiles I'll send you when I get them digitized. The Islander was the smaller cruiser and like Wanderer had fairly shallow skegs for cruising over and inside "the reef". The Cavalier and Vagabond MK2 skegs were deeper for more performance. Norman Cross also used the 3 skeg/keel configuration on boats intended for shallow water. There may be a modified Islander still for sale in Oz on boatpoint or yachthub.
Cheers
Cavalier MK2 is offline   Reply With Quote