Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-07-2017, 13:07   #1

Converting a berth

I've read a number of threads about turning a 4-cabin, charter cat into an owners version. What about just converting the 4th berth into storage? I can always throw boxes on an empty berth, but has anybody made it into a permanent change? For instance, adding a washer/dryer, freezer, additional efficient storage space?
Papillongirlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2017, 13:11   #2

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!
Re: Converting a berth

It's been done. But if you're not real, real careful, that could turn into a lot of weight, very quickly. Enough perhaps to even alter the boat's trim.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2017, 13:13   #3

Boat: Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papillongirlie View Post
I've read a number of threads about turning a 4-cabin, charter cat into an owners version. What about just converting the 4th berth into storage? I can always throw boxes on an empty berth, but has anybody made it into a permanent change? For instance, adding a washer/dryer, freezer, additional efficient storage space?
We did exactly that. I have shelves, a Dometic 50 fridge/freezer, a Panda washer/dryer, and there is still a bin left over for tools.

Maje
Tom and Maje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2017, 13:15   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
It's been done. But if you're not real, real careful, that could turn into a lot of weight, very quickly. Enough perhaps to even alter the boat's trim.
But it doesn't have to. My Panda washer/dryer is only 32lbs. I limit my cans and use dried beans for example.

Maje
Old 20-07-2017, 13:19   #5

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

I turned the forward end of my port side berths into a shower stall on my Cal 2-27. The after end will soon be my new galley. The starboard side lower berth will get extended and the upper will become dedicated storage, as will the large vee berth where I currently sleep. Your boat. Do it like you feel it. But unless your craftsmanship, methods and materials are 100% professional quality, your resale value will take a hard hit. Just sayin. Trim can be compensated, within reason, but you wouldn't want to end up with 600 lbs of tools, spares, and steel on one side, something like that, or lots of new appliances or tankage.

For the best and most practical ideas on layout changes, consult other owners of the same boat. You might even get some great ideas. You might also hear regrets about things that didn't work out so well.
Old 20-07-2017, 15:00   #6

I'd love to hear how you did that!
Old 20-07-2017, 18:15   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrowleyMonster View Post

For the best and most practical ideas on layout changes, consult other owners of the same boat. You might even get some great ideas. You might also hear regrets about things that didn't work out so well.

I had good luck googling my boat model and looking through the images. Be ready to scroll through many pages.
SecondBase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2017, 21:48   #8

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom and Maje View Post
We did exactly that. I have shelves, a Dometic 50 fridge/freezer, a Panda washer/dryer, and there is still a bin left over for tools.

Maje
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom and Maje View Post
But it doesn't have to. My Panda washer/dryer is only 32lbs. I limit my cans and use dried beans for example.

Maje
So this means, & is not limited to the following, in order to run & support said appliances.
Long runs of heavy & expensive wiring. Ditto on hoses.
Electrical panels & controls for above, along with fusing, breakers, etc.
Extra battery banks
Charging regulators; AC, & DC
More solar
AC Genset
Sound enclosure for genset
Plumbing for washer/dryer, & fridge/freezer. Including cooling loops, heat exchangers, water intake & overboard discharge, seacocks with backing plates, hoses for same...
Similar plumbing for genset
Mounting beds for genset, & probably the above appliances, including flexible, sound & vibration isolation mounts.
Spare parts for all of the above, along with manuals for each system, as well as notes on it's installation on the vessel, plus maintenance logs for each.
And the list could go on for several pages, much as it most certainly does when said equipment is being selected for & installed in the boat.

Then there's the couple of hundred pounds of plywood used for shelving. Or worse, wooden cabinetry with doors. And recall that in theory lightness is a multihull's friend. Not to mention that everything added to a boat costs money; to buy, to install, & to keep running. Along with the tools which are needed in order to do same (more weight, complexity, training, & cost).

So all told we've added an easy half a ton, & $15K-$20K as the entry price (if not twice+ that). With more headaches (maint.), fees, & weight to come later.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2017, 05:23   #9

Get the book by Rick Page and Jasna Tuta. IMO their multipurpose Bravo 1 washer is the answer for a cruising boat. Not the answer for a slip but on a boat that is used regularly you'll address the all to real parts list and issues that Uncivilized raised.
Old 21-07-2017, 05:24   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondBase View Post
Get the book by Rick Page and Jasna Tuta. IMO their multipurpose Bravo 1 washer is the answer for a cruising boat. Not the answer for a slip but on a boat that is used regularly you'll address the all to real parts list and issues that Uncivilized raised.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4399.JPG
Views:	221
Size:	116.6 KB
ID:	152364
Old 21-07-2017, 08:58   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
So this means, & is not limited to the following, in order to run & support said appliances.
Long runs of heavy & expensive wiring. Ditto on hoses.
Electrical panels & controls for above, along with fusing, breakers, etc.
Extra battery banks
Charging regulators; AC, & DC
More solar
AC Genset
Sound enclosure for genset
Plumbing for washer/dryer, & fridge/freezer. Including cooling loops, heat exchangers, water intake & overboard discharge, seacocks with backing plates, hoses for same...
Similar plumbing for genset
Mounting beds for genset, & probably the above appliances, including flexible, sound & vibration isolation mounts.
Spare parts for all of the above, along with manuals for each system, as well as notes on it's installation on the vessel, plus maintenance logs for each.
And the list could go on for several pages, much as it most certainly does when said equipment is being selected for & installed in the boat.

Then there's the couple of hundred pounds of plywood used for shelving. Or worse, wooden cabinetry with doors. And recall that in theory lightness is a multihull's friend. Not to mention that everything added to a boat costs money; to buy, to install, & to keep running. Along with the tools which are needed in order to do same (more weight, complexity, training, & cost).

So all told we've added an easy half a ton, & $15K-$20K as the entry price (if not twice+ that). With more headaches (maint.), fees, & weight to come later.
You are really overthinking this. Remodels can be done inexpensively and without all the stuff you mentioned. The Panda washer/dryer doesn't need to be plumbed in. It has a hose that goes out the portlight when we use it. We did have to hardwire the Dometic 12v to the battery. That didn't require much either. Our shelves are open with lips, and bungee cord run along the center of the shelves so stuff doesn't fall out. Since I carried all of the wood, I can tell you that it's less than 100lbs. We don't have AC or a genset. We did up our solar because we don't want to have to run the portable generator.

The one thing you do have to do is make sure your weight distribution between the hulls is about even.

Maje
Old 21-07-2017, 09:38   #12

Boat: Angus Primrose One design 45ft And Duncanson 34 Mk2

A washing machine on a boat.. LOL
nauticalnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2017, 09:47   #13

Boat: PDQ 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papillongirlie View Post
I agree, why have that extra berth if you don't need it, and if you need more storage. It's your boat you can do anything you like with it. I will likely be doing the same. Isn't this a lovely thing?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6274224_20170618204040417_1_XLARGE.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	152371  
KiminAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2017, 22:32   #14

A woman aboard who weighs more than 140#. LOL. We all have our expectations. Don't try to force yours on others.
Old 21-07-2017, 22:48   #15

OMG, I hadn't thought about these things!! Weight, cost, I'm a complete idiot, apparently. Dude, I asked about feasiibility, not your opinion