Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-09-2011, 21:40   #1

Boat: Farrier F9ax, Edel 35
Contour 30

Hi

I'm looking for first hand knowledge regarding the Contour 30, especially how it compares to corsairs. It seems to be built a bit more for comfort then speed, which is fine with me. I'm mostly wondering about it's "trailerability" and ease (or difficulty) of rigging and if the set up can be handled solo?

Thanks in advance for any and all info!

Cheers-
John
windhorze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2011, 07:40   #2

Boat: Contour 30 MK II Triple Dog Dare
Re: Contour 30

John
I just sold my Contour 30 MK II and purchased a Corsair F-24 MK I. You hit the nail on the head! The Contour is better set up for cruising then the Corsair, but just a bit slower then the F-31. Out of the box my Contour needed a travel lift with a gin pole or a special mast step (didn't have) to allow you to raise the mast. The Corsair has that built in. In my cast the previous owner had the mast step holding the mast/gin pole reworked so it was removable, making walking around the mast safer. I often thought about buying one of these from Corsair and using it for my Contour. But it turned out I only stepped the mast once in 3 years, so didn't make sense for me.
Another thing if you trailer the Contour any distance you should remove the amas and store them upside down and in tight to the main hull on the trailer. Otherwise you are obviously a WIDE LOAD! This is not too difficult, but takes a good 2 hours from water to road ready. I have a procedure written detailing how this is done. I'll try to add it here:
Setting the boat up on a trailer:
The previous owner and I, along with a forklift, prepared the boat for the trip from Massachusetts to North Carolina. I and two friends, plus a forklift (because it was available) remounted the amas in North Carolina.
Trailering the boat for a short distance, you don’t have to remove the amas, just fold them into the hull once on the trailer. Place the supports (attachments to the trailer) under them. Tie them to the main hull (with padding). Remember this is a wide load!
Note I have the boat yard lower the mast while I work the running rigging. There is a way to do it manually, but I have not tried it. The mast is light enough for me to lift at its balance point and walk it around. Realize the length makes it a bit awkward. It takes two to lift the mast in place (one end at a time) onto the main hull. I have a mast support for use in the cockpit. The forward section rests (padded) on the cabin roof.
For long trailer trips, here are the steps to follow after the boat is on the trailer (amas folded in) and the mast lowered and secured on the main hull. I’ll give directions for one ama, the other is identical. This can be done by two people, but 4 are much better. It is much easier then it reads. If you have access to a forklift the job is ‘a piece of cake’.
  • Make certain the ama is not tight against the main hull. I would suggest at least 4’ away. Place two sawhorses perpendicular to the ama. These sawhorses should be about 6” lower that the ama keel, Place some scrap lumber between the sawhorse and ama bottom to hold up the ama once disconnected from the aka.
  • Using a step ladder, climb up to the ama and open the ama access port near the end of forward aka. Using a 1 7/16” socket/ratchet or open end wrench, reach in and unscrew the nut holding the ama to the aka bolt. It may be easier to actually crawl into the ama via the hatch. As you loosen the bolt the ama may start to come down unless the sawhorse is snug against the bottom of the ama. Remove the nut/washer and place in a safe place.
  • Do the same for the rear bolt. The two long bolts will hold the ama upright.
  • While someone holds the ama upright, lift the bow of the ama just enough to remove the scrap lumber and replace it with a 2”x4” or 1”x6” long enough to reach between the sawhorse and trailer. Lower the ama onto the sawhorse. Do the same for the aft sawhorse.
  • Now comes the fun part. You may have to lift the aka a bit to free the bolt from the ama. Once this is done for both bolts, rotate the top of the ama toward the trailer and the bottom away from the main hull until the top is resting on the 2x4 or 1x6. It helps to rotate the keel away from the hull to clear the bolts. This maneuver can be done by two strong people, but extra people distributed around the ama helps control the rotation.
  • Lift the bow of the ama and position the forward section of the ama on the padded forward trailer ama support. Do the same with the stern of the ama. Place an old cushion or some other padding between the ama and hull as you do this. Use the provided ratchet straps to secure the ama (upside down) to the trailer and hull.
  • Rotate the two akas in toward the hull. Place pads between them and the hull. Secure them with ratchet straps or rope.
I would say the first time this is done plan about 3 hours after the boat is on the trailer to be ready for a road trip.

enjoy
Lucky
Capt Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2011, 10:15   #3

Boat: Farrier F9ax, Edel 35

Lucky,

thanks a bunch for your reply! I'm curious why you made the choice to go to the F24? Also, I've read 'hearsay" about concerns with Aka weakness/failure in the Contours...did you have any concerns regarding this?

Thanks again-
John
windhorze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2011, 05:24   #4

Boat: Contour 30 MK II Triple Dog Dare

John
We sold the Contour because I wanted to cruise, not because of any 'hearsay' about Aka weakness. By the way, both the Contour and Corsair have developed 'problems' (beam fractures) because of their manner of sail (fast and often hard) and foldability. I've heard of more rudder then Aka failures. These rare potential failures can be averted with proper operation, inspection and maintenance. Plus they tend to happen over some time, so can be found and repaired.
Now to 'why the F-24?' To understand why we went from a Contour 30 to a Corsair 24 I have to provide some background. I wanted to cruise. My wife had some cruising requirements: it had to be as fast as the Contour; it had to have a shower; it had to be built by a 'factory/contractor'; it couldn't be any older then 1990. We decided to look for tri's (for speed over cats) in the ~35' to 40' range, non-folding (If we were going to move the tri it would be under sail, not over the road). All we were finding in our price range were 'home made' tri's. One was almost perfect, but my wife wanted a 'production' boat. We had almost decided to keep the Contour (both of us loved the boat) and just day sail, but our boat sold before we could make that decision (good condition/priced right). Now we had no tri, and all production cruising tri's were way out of our budget, because it shrunk with the stock market decline. So good by cruising/ hello daysailing (again)! For a daysailor I don't need a 30'er. I could easily live with a 27, or even 24 or 22. Contour didn't make anything smaller then the 30. Windrider doesn't make anything larger then the 17. Other production tri's are not USA built. Contour was built in Canada, almost as good. Older Corsairs were US built (now some are built in Vietnam). Corsair is the next logical choice. Price and availablity resulted in the F-24 MK I. The MK I is much less expensive then the MK II, it's fast, easy to sail single-handed, and I like the swing keel over dagger board for ease of use.
Capt Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote