Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-12-2015, 16:50   #1

Boat: Outremer 45/pdq36
Continuous line furling

Even though I motor almost 100% of the time, I have to install 2 continuous line furlers (CLFs) this year and as I have no experience with them I have couple of questions.
My plan was to not have it on a winch and to let it out fast ala Ac 45s but without the capzing . On Pdq 36 the screecher is about 600 sq ft on a harken and on the Outremer 1200 on a profurl top down
I had planned to use harken slippery rings (technical term) as the return as
the line is lazy on one side .
Can I furl without a winch
when I unfurl can I just let it go as long as the feed angles are ok as I plan to furl when gybing
admiralslater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2015, 18:10   #2

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Re: Continuous line furling

I can't speak to that size, but on a much smaller unit, we do just as you suggest, when setting the screacher just let her rip!!
It did require attaching a turning block on a bungee at the aft end of the continuous loop though to keep it running fair.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2015, 22:05   #3

Boat: Seawind 1000xl
Re: Continuous line furling

Quote:
Originally Posted by admiralslater View Post
Even though I motor almost 100% of the time, I have to install 2 continuous line furlers (CLFs) this year and as I have no experience with them I have couple of questions.
My plan was to not have it on a winch and to let it out fast ala Ac 45s but without the capzing . On Pdq 36 the screecher is about 600 sq ft on a harken and on the Outremer 1200 on a profurl top down
I had planned to use harken slippery rings (technical term) as the return as
the line is lazy on one side .
Can I furl without a winch
when I unfurl can I just let it go as long as the feed angles are ok as I plan to furl when gybing
The answer to your questions is maybe.

I have my screecher set up with a continuous furler. The lines lead to the steering station and at the end there is a pulley secured with a bungee cord to limit what you seem to be calling the lazy line on one side. I understand your concern about the correct feed angles. The important thing to remember is time is the biggest factor. I also like to keep a little tension on the sheet as I am winding the sail up using the continuous furler, I do this by putting the sheet under my foot to produce a little friction while pulling the line controlling the continuous furler. It does not take a lot of effort to pull the line as long as the friction from my foot is not to great.

There can be a problem if the sheet is completely lose and the sail if flailing around, not so much from needing a lot of effort to pull the line on the furler. Rather the sail can wrap up in what I will call bunches where it is way too lose and then tighter. If you have a crew member who can control the tension/friction on the sheet with their hands instead of single handing the way I do it is a much easier.

I am not sure how you have set up your head sails but on my boat I have a working jib and a screecher on a bowsprit. If tacking or gybing I do not have to completely roll up the screecher, just get it forward of the jib, and let it out once it has moved to the other side.

All in all I would never be able to single hand at my age with out the modern doohickies.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furling