Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-11-2015, 06:13   #1

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40
Considering Purchase of New Leopard 40

Greetings. I am considering the purchase of a new Leopard 40 and would love to hear from anyone who owns one (or has chartered one - the NEW Moorings 4000 or the Sunsail version). Interested in performance, live-ability, buying experience including commissioning, warranty experience, etc. I know they have only been on the market for a year but hopefully there are a few owners out there. Thanks!! n2climbing
n2climbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 09:03   #2
Marine Service Provider

Send a message via Skype™ to Steamer
Re: Considering Purchase of New Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2climbing View Post
I am considering the purchase of a new Leopard 40 and would love to hear from anyone who owns one (or has chartered one - the NEW Moorings 4000 or the Sunsail version). Interested in performance, live-ability, buying experience including commissioning, warranty experience, etc.
Isn't that You, who should first sail L40 prior to purchase her?
Steamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 09:09   #3

Boat: Hylas 49

There is a thread about a new Lagoon 56. Read it!!

Insist on a survey before taking delivery.

I like the new layout, but corners don't belong on tables on boats. Om the 39 the jib needs a 2 foot tack line so you can see under it. Don't think that changed.
TheOffice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 09:11   #4

Funny you should ask. We are booked to charter one in February. Still interested in owner reviews...
Old 05-11-2015, 09:15   #5

Do you mean Lagoon 52? I saw that.
Old 05-11-2015, 10:35   #6
Marine Service Provider

Send a message via Skype™ to Steamer

[QUOTE=n2climbing;1954659]Funny you should ask QUOTE]

I know Owners of their newly built cats, who crossed off L-cats from their short lists after first trial and made their choices in favor of other cats.

Probably there are other Owners, who will tell You just positive about their L.

Sail her and You will know if L is exactly what You need, or not.

If you have NO any other cats experience, then You will need more time to define Your cat as You will need to sail different cats.

Sorry if I said not the words You expected to listen.
Steamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 10:42   #7

Boat: Leopard 43

There is a leopard owners group on Yahoo. You can surely find L40 owners there.
tedowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 11:59   #8

Boat: 2000 Jeanneau, 45.2

Coincidentally I was part of the delivery crew returning a Leopard 40 from the boat show">Annapolis boat show to the SunSail fleet in the BVIs. Accordingly I got to spend 10 days / 1200 miles experiencing this boat. My general impressions, which are just my opinion ymmv, are:

This was my first time on a cat and it is a very different experience than that of a monohull. I'd prefer a monohull for open water sailing, as I found the rolling motion (side to side) from beam rollers to be annoying. Steep wind driven chop was worse. But a cat excels at island hopping such as the BVIs or the Florida Keys. For space, light, open layout, outside lounging ... can't be beat which may be why they are so popular in the BVIs. Also, they are very fast versus a cruising monohull.

Specific to the Leopard 40, there were many good features: excellent access to the engine systems and steering gear; well balanced sail plan and good standing rigging; adequate water and fuel tankage; excellent ventilation in the pontoons; well thought out and executed systems. I would suggest that you evaluate for yourself the helm setup. I found the helm seating to be rather uncomfortable during a four hour watch. Also, this boat had one manual and one electric winch at the helm and IMHO two electrics are required given the 8 halyards / sheets leading to a single location at the helm.

Stove top is hard to use in heavy seas as it is not gimbled (neither is the oven), but the rails around the stove top in conjunction with the "claw holders" did a nice job restraining the cookware. This boat had a single basin kitchen sink, a two basin would be better for long distance cruising.

The generator is located below decks between the front salon and trampoline ... unable to hear it in the aft berths when running, can't comment on the noise level in the fore berths. Heads are spacious with contained shower area (again excellent ventilation, one port hole and one deck hatch).

I can't compare to other cats, but I found the structural build quality to be comparable versus a good quality production monohull boat.

Maximum sustained winds experienced were 25 K apparent and 6 to 8 foot rollers on the beam and aft port quarter. All were handled drama free.

In summary, IMHO, an excellent boat for its intended purpose, which I presume is for coastal cruising not open ocean.
Jeanneau 45.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 12:09   #9

Boat: 2000 Jeanneau, 45.2

I just noticed a review of the Leopard 40 in Sail Magazine.

Boat Review: Leopard 40 - Sail Magazine
Jeanneau 45.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 16:20   #10
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

I'm pretty sure the Leopard 40 was designed for open ocean sailing.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 02:53   #11

In addition to cruising the US east coast, we do plan to go back and forth to the Caribbean and perhaps beyond (circumnavigation??). Jeanneau 45.2: do you have doubts about the seaworthiness of the Leopard 40?

We have also booked a charter on this boat in the Bahamas for February so will get a good feel for creature comforts and hopefully sailing characteristics (if we can get out in the ocean when there's some wind and seas).
Old 07-11-2015, 05:48   #12

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

Leopard makes a very seaworthy boat and the company's support of their products years after warranty is out is unparalleled. To judge a boats seaworthiness based on helm seat comfort, and a non gimbaled stove , well,,,,, lol,we had a Leopard 38 and on 25+ day trips we were more than comfortable. We sold her and now have a athena 38. Not as robust and very lightly built she handles rough weather very well. We would feel safe taking either boat anywhere.

Sent from my PLT1077G using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 06:42   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Never seen a gimballed stove on a multi yet - and - never needed one
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 09:28   #14

I have delivered two Leopard cats:

- 48 BVI to Panama
- 44 Cape Twon to Fernando de Noronha, Brazil

No experience on a 40.

General impression - good seaworthy boats, nice clean functional design.

Some small quibbles

- A foot rest is needed at the helm station. The 48 has one, the 44 did not. It made a difference.

- Issues with bolts and screws coming loose: door handles, cabinet latches, fridge striker plate, mainsail batten fittings, shower head rod,

- Genoa chafes on seagull striker (44, not the 48)

- Not a big fan of the mainsheet bridle system; prefer traveller, but not really feasible.

- Not a fan of stackpacks, but the lazy jacks can be stowed against the mast. Install reefing lines in sail to deal with excess sail when reefed. That will make stowing stackpack lazy jacks easier.

- A gimballed stove and oven are not needed, but a grab handle / galley harness would be desirable. I found that neither the oven nor the broiler put out enough heat.

- Ceiling mounted grab handle in the saloon would be desirable.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 10:32   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
I have delivered two Leopard cats:

- 48 BVI to Panama
- 44 Cape Twon to Fernando de Noronha, Brazil

No experience on a 40.

General impression - good seaworthy boats, nice clean functional design.

Some small quibbles

- A foot rest is needed at the helm station. The 48 has one, the 44 did not. It made a difference.

- Issues with bolts and screws coming loose: door handles, cabinet latches, fridge striker plate, mainsail batten fittings, shower head rod,

- Genoa chafes on seagull striker (44, not the 48)

- Not a big fan of the mainsheet bridle system; prefer traveller, but not really feasible.

- Not a fan of stackpacks, but the lazy jacks can be stowed against the mast. Install reefing lines in sail to deal with excess sail when reefed. That will make stowing stackpack lazy jacks easier.

- A gimballed stove and oven are not needed, but a grab handle / galley harness would be desirable. I found that neither the oven nor the broiler put out enough heat.

- Ceiling mounted grab handle in the saloon would be desirable.
Aren't we ignoring the elephant in the room here? I'm looking for a blue water Cat, but what concerns me, and I'm sure others, is the forward cockpit together with the access door.
geoff326 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leopard, leopard 40, purchase