Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2019, 04:41   #31

Boat: Seawind 1160
Re: Considering new Seawind 1260

Hi LeeV. Your local Seawind dealer can definitely provide access to the builder page. If you live in Annapolis, that’s Sailaway Catamarans.
Old 04-03-2019, 04:48   #32

Boat: 2013 FP Lipari 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by robwrongshoes View Post
Hi LeeV. Your local Seawind dealer can definitely provide access to the builder page. If you live in Annapolis, that’s Sailaway Catamarans.
It's not just about the page; we're inland Md, and while I know Tommy and Sailaway, we've always dealt with Don at Windcraft in Florida since we're down there a lot for family and intend on retiring there.

It was more about keeping the discussion available to us all. If the page is a "secret documentation site" meant only for purchasers, I understand your reluctance to put it online, although sharing with anybody more or less breaks that rule anyway.

I like hearing everybody's perspective on boats; I learn something every day!
Old 04-03-2019, 09:09   #33
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeV View Post
It's not just about the page; we're inland Md, and while I know Tommy and Sailaway, we've always dealt with Don at Windcraft in Florida since we're down there a lot for family and intend on retiring there.

It was more about keeping the discussion available to us all. If the page is a "secret documentation site" meant only for purchasers, I understand your reluctance to put it online, although sharing with anybody more or less breaks that rule anyway.

I like hearing everybody's perspective on boats; I learn something every day!

We’ve dealt with both Tommy at Sailaway and Don at Windcraft and Don would absolutely be my choice!
Old 05-03-2019, 19:41   #34

Apologies for the delay. Here's the link...

https://wrightyachtsales.com/build-your-seawind/
Old 08-03-2019, 08:23   #35

We had a Seawind 1160 for 10 years. I’d encourage you to get the 1260. Lovely boat.
Old 16-03-2019, 16:14   #36

Nice YouTube video about the 1260 here.
Old 24-02-2020, 20:34   #37

About 6-9 months
Call or email Seawind directly
Bill
Old 24-02-2020, 20:40   #38

We have a well equipped 1260 that will be ready for delivery May 2020. After that, it's a bit of a wait.

The build spec and pricing can be viewed by going to the following link:

https://wrightyachtsales.com/new-seawind-1260/
Old 24-02-2020, 20:48   #39

The Perry and the lightwave are different beasts when you are inside. Correct me if I'm wrong but neither offers a view through the cabin windows forward when seated at the settee. That is a deal breaker for me. As is the price on any of them. If I won the lottery I would be after the seawind either 1190 or 1260 for that open visibility.
Old 24-02-2020, 20:52   #40

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrtaylormd View Post
About 6-9 months
Call or email Seawind directly
Bill
For what? We put a deposit on a build slot in January 2018. The boat build started in June, and finished mid December. Transport Vietnam to Miami, arrived on Feb 15. Id call that 13 months. Seawind 1160 Lite.
Old 19-04-2020, 11:48   #41

The next available, unallocated Seawind 1160 and 1190 build slots lay down late January 2021, and complete mid-September 2021.

There's actually better near term Seawind 1260 availability, with one ready to ship late next week. Pricing, base specs and equipment can be viewed at the following link-- https://bit.ly/3cyR6Dt. If you're looking for something a little further out, the next available Seawind 1260 build slot lays down June 2021 and completes January 2022.
Old 19-04-2020, 16:23   #42

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by robwrongshoes View Post
The next available, unallocated Seawind 1160 and 1190 build slots lay down late January 2021, and complete mid-September 2021.

There's actually better near term Seawind 1260 availability, with one ready to ship late next week. Pricing, base specs and equipment can be viewed at the following link-- https://bit.ly/3cyR6Dt. If you're looking for something a little further out, the next available Seawind 1260 build slot lays down June 2021 and completes January 2022.
Very nicely optioned Rob. A bunch of well-thoughtout equipment. Looks like add a dinghy and go cruising!
Old 30-05-2020, 14:59   #43

You are quite right. We were planning to buy a Lightwave and took part in a Lightwave rally with a race. One LW38 on port tack with a genoa up and the skipper ensconced in his conning tower T-boned another boat at speed because he couldn't see through his genoa. Conning towers are not a solution to visibility in a sailing cat. We cancelled our order for the Lightwave and bought a Seawind 1160 with twin helms and great visibility under the sails. I never regretted it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevilleCat View Post
The Perry and the lightwave are different beasts when you are inside. Correct me if I'm wrong but neither offers a view through the cabin windows forward when seated at the settee. That is a deal breaker for me. As is the price on any of them. If I won the lottery I would be after the seawind either 1190 or 1260 for that open visibility.
Old 24-09-2020, 14:03   #44

Boat: Antares 44i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3cdad View Post
Thanks in advance for any feedback to help us make an informed decision....

I am considering placing an order for a new Seawind 1260. I've also researched FP's line, the Antares, Perry 43, and others. All are fine boats, and they each address some parts of our "wish list" in different ways. The Perry 43 looks awesome, but so few are available any more, and I have not had a chance to see one in person yet. Antares also looks like an amazing boat for long passages and year round living but we are not sure yet how often we will be crossing oceans versus doing coastal cruising in the Sea of Cortez & Caribbean. Right now, I envision more of the latter while our boys are still in school. When new, the FP line is definitely appealing to my wife for it's livability at anchor. We've sailed a Saba 50 and Helia, and enjoyed the time aboard. I have concerns about the FPs build quality and their performance under sail. The Saba we were on was less than a year old but there were already some cosmetic issues that would drive me nuts (for example, corrosion on some of the interior chrome hardware).

Stating the obvious, selecting the best boat seems to be about determining which priorities you are willing to sacrifice for other priorities. And, the tradeoff often seems to come down to performance under sail vs livability. Both are important to us, although we are not yet sure which is more important.

I am leaning towards the 1260 for the following reasons:

1) I am impressed with the quality of build vs what I've seen from FP and other production cats. I sailed a 1260 recently, and it was solid. Very rigid. None of the creaking or flexing that I sensed on other boats.

2) It appears to be able to point higher than other cats that I've sailed.

3) The layout of the lines, along with the self tacking jib, and the dual helm, makes it easier to sail single handed when necessary.

4) Galley down makes good use of space.

5) Seawind's trifold door creates a very large living space for a 41' cat.

6) Engine access is through the interior, eliminating the possibility of salt water entering the compartment through a rear hatch.

7) It was more fun to sail than the FPs.

8) Significantly less freeboard on the 1260 vs FP.

9) Seawinds appear to retain their resale value better than FP.

10) They don't waste space (IMO) on 3-4 heads. For owner's versions, it doesn't make sense to me to have more than one head in each hull.

The FP layouts are definitely appealing. At anchor, it would probably be more livable and able to handle guests more comfortably. I'm not sure about FP's elevated helm vs the cockpit helm of the Seawind but having lounging areas below the boom, next to the helm, is attractive. Of course, the price for that is either less sail area or a higher mast. Seawind's interior is definitely more spartan than FP.

The Perry 43 and Antares are a little bigger, and their layouts are also appealing.

Reading through posts on these forums, there appears to be a lot of FP owners who have problems with warranty issues. Of course, people probably only post stuff when they have problems, and there are a lot more FP owners out there than Seawind.

Probably my biggest hesitance with the Seawind is the size - wish it was a few feet longer. Most of the time, it will just be my wife and I, plus one or more of our teenage sons. But we also intend to have friends join us from time to time. Things will get a little tight when they do. But I don't want to buy a bigger boat for those relatively few occasions when we need it, and then deal with the compromises from having a bigger boat for the majority of the time when we don't need it.

Being a new model, there are not any used 1260s available so we'd have to bit the bullet and buy new. Fully configured with the options we would want, it looks to price out at $550k to $600k. Much less than a new FP 45 I assume, or a new Antares 44. But more than a used Perry 43.

Appreciate any feedback on things we are missing in our analysis, or on other boats that we should consider. My comments about FP may not be on point, and I certainly didn't intend to offend any FP owners/loyalists out there. Obviously, their volume speaks to the fact that they are addressing the market well.

Thanks!
3cdad, did you end up getting the SeaWind 1260? What do you think of it?
Old 24-09-2020, 14:18   #45

Boat: Antares 44i

I'd love to have your perspective on the Seawind 1260! It's on my shortlist and I'd like to get feedback from owners who actually have experience with the boat rather than reviews done at boat shows. Could we organize an e-meeting, perhaps? Mark
Closed Thread

Tags
Seawind, wind