Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2011, 13:37   #1

Considering a Cat in the Northeast US

I live in New Hampshire, and am considering the purchase of a Lagoon 380. While we would use it to travel longer range, and to points south, where cats are more common, it's home base would be in the northeast. I'm concerned about the availability of berthing and haul out services in the area. My understanding is that Cats are typically charged for two berths, and that travel lifts that can handle them are few, and far between. Is anyone familiar with multi hull friendly marinas in the northeast, say between New Haven, CT, and Kittery, ME? The Lagoon is 38 ft, with a 21.5' beam. Thanks!
Aaargh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 13:52   #2

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37
Catamaran marina's in Long Island Sound

Aaargh,

Brewers Pilots Point in Westbrook Connecticut is a Lagoon dealer and can dock an store your Lagoon 380.
I would call Brewers to see which of their many yards can handle you.
Brewer Yacht Yards

Noank Shipyard in Mystic Connecticut can also dock and store you. Welcome to Noank Shipyard

Mark
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 14:20   #3

Boat: Kadey Krogen 42
Check out the Royal River Boat Yard in Yarmouth Maine. They handle a lot of multihulls. You don't want to go south - come to Maine!
AnsleyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 18:29   #4

Falmouth, Mass

hauled me 15 yrs ago after i struck a submerged object in vineyard sound.
Joe S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 18:42   #5

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40
Don't need travellifts -- Any yard with a heavy crane can haul a multihull

FL Tripp in Westport MA -- full service yard -- top notch fiberglass work. They build custom multihulls also.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 18:46   #6

Cats are not charged for two berths if they're berthed on the outside of a face dock. The only yard that ever charged me more than a monohull for an outside slip is Brewers. They wanted 1.5 times. I avoid them for that reason.

You will be charged double for an inside slip or for winter dry storage.
Old 05-02-2011, 20:05   #7
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Yes, they can charge more for beam, but if you can find a shallow area, it may be much less... because they can't put others there. Play to your strength.
Old 06-02-2011, 04:22   #8

Another thought -- you will find moorings to be much less expensive than slip space, whether cruising or at home. The best deals are private yacht clubs or municipal facilities that let you place your own mooring, and when you cruise it's nice to have reciprocal privileges. There's always a local guy who does mooring placement/maintenance and he'll help you find a spot -- they want the business and have all the right local contacts to help you get things approved. These days memberships are down, so most clubs are trying to recruit new members. Many aren't expensive, either.

We prefer a mooring to a dock space. It's more social on a dock but more private and cooler on a mooring. We often go to the mooring just to hang-out with a cool one or barbecue dinner, even if we don't sail.

A mooring won't be any more costly for a multihull, and with your shallow draft you might be able to get a more protected spot than other sailboats.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:44   #9

Taxes?

Thanks for all the help! The more I hear from everyone, the less daunting this seems. Here's a state tax question. I'm a New Hampshire resident where there are no state taxes on purchases. I've heard that in Connecticut, you will be liable for state tax on the value of your vessel if it is moored, berthed, or even on the hard, in the state for longer than a period of time - maybe 60 days? I've also heard that Rhode Island tax officials are less strict in this regard and it's not an issue. Does anyone know Mass. tax policies where out of state registered vessels are concerned?
Old 06-02-2011, 12:01   #10

Community Sponsor

Aaargh,
Connecticut has a boat use tax of 6% after 60 days.
Rhode Island has no boat tax.
Old 06-02-2011, 12:26   #11

Boat: Allures 44
Massachusetts will send you a use tax bill for any time spent in the state, if they catch wind of you (through a marina, yard repair, etc). You'll need to show you've already paid equivalent tax in order to avoid it.

Colin Farrar
cfarrar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 07:46   #12

Taxes

More info! I just spoke with someone at the Massachusetts dept of revenue. According to this individual, if you are a non resident and berth your vessel in Mass. within 6 months of purchasing it, you are liable for their Mass. sales/use tax. If you have owned your vessel for more than 6 months, and you decide to locate it in Mass, you can do that indefinitely without paying the sales/use tax. Mass Dept of Revenue is @ 617-887-6367 if any additional questions on this.

In CT, you do not need to pay a sales tax if you present an executed exemption document http://www.ct.gov/drs/lib/drs/fillab...139fillpdf.pdf at the time of purchase (you can not present this certification after the fact). CT has a handy document on line that covers all this: DRS: IP 2006(12), Q & A on Purchases of Vessels
- CT document number: IP2006(12)

So as a NH resident, you can buy a vessel in CT without paying sales tax, register it in NH, and then keep it in MA after 6 months w no tax. Sweet
Old 07-02-2011, 08:10   #13

Community Sponsor

Aaargh,

Sounds like a plan.
When do you sign the contract?
Old 08-02-2011, 12:39   #14

Hopefully soon, and thanks for your help! Remaining items are basically the contengencies, survey, finance, and insurance. Am I missing any?
Old 09-02-2011, 05:49   #15

Boat: Bristol 38.8
A good heater for all of that interior space?
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote