Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-12-2018, 20:10   #1

Congrats to Seawind.

https://www.cruisingworld.com/2019-cruising-catamaran-under-50-feet-seawind-1260
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2018, 03:05   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
Re: Congrats to Seawind.

Its a good category to win.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2018, 03:24   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

They are a fast boat. Not sure I agree from a cruising aspect, but...
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2018, 05:04   #4

Boat: Seawind 1260
Re: Congrats to Seawind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
They are a fast boat. Not sure I agree from a cruising aspect, but...
Interested why you think that. I bought my 1260 because I think they are an excellent cruising boat. Certainly not as palatial as some brands, but still very comfortable and ideally suited to tropical conditions where we will be spending the majority of our time. Most importantly, they have the balance right as it also sails well. It’s not a high performance boat but more than holds its own. At this years Hamilton Island race week we were outpointing many monos and more than competitive around the track. They are well constructed. I had an 1160 in charter for 8 years and had no trouble selling it as it was still in such good condition. The 1260 is a comfortable boat to live aboard that can sail, that’s why I think it’s a fabulous cruising boat and the judges seem to agree.
Sam90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2018, 10:23   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam90 View Post
Interested why you think that. I bought my 1260 because I think they are an excellent cruising boat. Certainly not as palatial as some brands, but still very comfortable and ideally suited to tropical conditions where we will be spending the majority of our time. Most importantly, they have the balance right as it also sails well. It’s not a high performance boat but more than holds its own. At this years Hamilton Island race week we were outpointing many monos and more than competitive around the track. They are well constructed. I had an 1160 in charter for 8 years and had no trouble selling it as it was still in such good condition. The 1260 is a comfortable boat to live aboard that can sail, that’s why I think it’s a fabulous cruising boat and the judges seem to agree.

If the boat meets your needs, then it is your perfect boat.

But that is why there are other brands. All the best!
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2018, 15:14   #6
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam90 View Post
And they have an excellent dance floor
Old 15-12-2018, 16:14   #7

Boat: 2017 Jeanneau 519

Owners version open concept do you think the price is high or low

Available now
Year:
Length:
41'
Engine/Fuel Type:
Twin / diesel

Located In:
East Coast, United States
Hull Material:
Fiberglass
YW#:
77561-2767800

Current Price:
US$ 410,000
Other videos: null, SEAWIND 1260
Seawind 1260: 2018 Best Cruising Catamaran Under 50 Feet

Cruising World Judges named the Seawind 1260 Best Cruising Catamaran Under 50 Feet.
scuba0_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2018, 16:19   #8

Boat: Harbor 20, Seawind 1370 (2024)

Congrats to Seawind.

When one thinks of the classic voyaging monos for a couple, you hear about the Tayana 37, Island Packet 38, Tartan 37, Cabo Rico 38, Pacific Seacraft 34/37, Shannon 38.....

Sure you can get a bigger boat, but it's more expensive to buy and repair, and harder to short hand. I'm not sure we have many options of the same size/weight/quality for the couple who wants to voyage on a cat.

Seawinds seems to be one of the few. They are not as palatial as the charter boats, not as pricey as the Antares 44, probably more functional for a couple than a Lagoon 380. There seems to be a hot spot in the market right now for the luxury 50ers, Balance, HH, McConaghy, Atlantic 49, and on and on. I'd love to see some new quality couples voyaging cats in the the 38-40' range.

Does anyone know if the spec'd 18000 lbs is lightship, design waterline fully loaded, or something in the middle?

As the 1160, 1190, and 1260 have a similar look and layout, does anyone know if they share parts/molds? e.g. could you special order a 1260 with daggerboards and some of the 1190's carbon parts to reduce weight a bit? Or add some of the luxury bits to the 1190 for long range cruising?
Mark424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2018, 18:33   #9

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

Hater's gonna hate.

Congrats, Sam90. My Seawind 1160 Lite leaves the factory in a week. My second Seawind, the prior one being a Seawind 1000. I could have gotten a Lagoon with washer-dryer, drawer refrigeration, generator, etc., for less than I paid for the Seawind. But the Seawind offered a much better balance of performance and comfort. And after sailing and racing Corsair trimarans for a dozen years, it's hard to ignore performance.
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2018, 18:13   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark424 View Post
As the 1160, 1190, and 1260 have a similar look and layout, does anyone know if they share parts/molds? e.g. could you special order a 1260 with daggerboards and some of the 1190's carbon parts to reduce weight a bit? Or add some of the luxury bits to the 1190 for long range cruising?
There are a lot of options. The 1190 Sport can be equipped with the second head, air conditioning, galley and nav station cabinetry (instead of the standard cubby holes), air conditioning, television, etc. Plus you can option the diesel motors and generator if you want them instead of the dual outboards. Our 1160 Lite picked up the bow (catbird) seats and the stainless bbq griddle that is used on the 1260.

But I don't think they would put the daggerboard on a 1260, as the case requires a lot of changes to the galley, windows and hatches. And I suspect they would like to retain some model differentiation, but I guess you could ask. It would be a custom boat.
Old 17-12-2018, 00:19   #11
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark424 View Post
e.g. could you special order a 1260 with daggerboards and some of the 1190's carbon parts to reduce weight a bit? Or add some of the luxury bits to the 1190 for long range cruising?
No to daggerboards on 1260
Maybe to carbon bits on 1260
and yes to some luxury bits to 1190

Speak with an agent or direct to Seawind. Their service section is amazingly responsive.
Old 17-12-2018, 03:39   #12

Boat: 2013 FP Lipari 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba0_1 View Post
Owners version open concept do you think the price is high or low

Available now
Year:
Length:
41'
Engine/Fuel Type:
Twin / diesel

Located In:
East Coast, United States
Hull Material:
Fiberglass
YW#:
77561-2767800

Current Price:
US$ 410,000

Other videos: null, SEAWIND 1260
Seawind 1260: 2018 Best Cruising Catamaran Under 50 Feet

Cruising World Judges named the Seawind 1260 Best Cruising Catamaran Under 50 Feet.
If you're asking about the price, keep in mind that's the base price without options. If I recall, a nicely equipped is about $560k sailaway.

Regards,
LeeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2018, 05:10   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailjumanji View Post
Hater's gonna hate.
Yeah. And thinkers are gonna think.

I read this: "Founded in Australia, and now building its boats in Vietnam, Seawind Catamarans has long been known for its tough, fast bluewater cruising cats."

That's interesting. I suppose some people consider 10 years (i.e., Seawind) to be a long time in the 'tough and fast blue-water cruising cat' business.

Also of interest (to me, anyway), Corsair Marine (the parent company) was founded in California by the son of Sam Walton (Wal-Mart discount stores).

Moreover, I read that "The boat’s modular composite furniture also serves to stiffen the boat’s overall vinylester-infused structure." Interesting.

In regard to construction, Vietnam was chosen for, among other reasons, " ... its pool of talented labour." Hmmm, that's interesting. In Vietnam, minimum wage rose to 1,390,000 VND (US $61.00) per month in 2018.

Hmmm. Something to think about.

I love advertising. Today's world economy often floats around it. But, that's nothing new.
PortClydeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2018, 06:37   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortClydeMe View Post
Yeah. And thinkers are gonna think.

I read this: "Founded in Australia, and now building its boats in Vietnam, Seawind Catamarans has long been known for its tough, fast bluewater cruising cats."

That's interesting. I suppose some people consider 10 years (i.e., Seawind) to be a long time in the 'tough and fast blue-water cruising cat' business.
Not sure where you got 10 years. Seawind started making catamarans in Australia in 1982 - over 35 years ago. I don't remember the exact year they moved production to Vietnam, maybe that was 10 years ago.

Quote:
Also of interest (to me, anyway), Corsair Marine (the parent company) was founded in California by the son of Sam Walton (Wal-Mart discount stores).
That's a bit misleading. I've owned a couple of Corsair trimarans as well, and at the time Seawind and Corsair were two independent companies, with different founders, ownership, everything. Not even on the same continent. In late 2000's - I don't remember exact year - there was either a merge or a takeover. But Seawind had been independent for around 20 years prior to that, regardless of which is the "parent" now.

That said, having owned two Corsairs and now my second Seawind, I think the combination with Corsair had very good influence on Seawind. Corsair was well-known for building light, stiff boats, and using vacuum bagging and other techniques long before their counterparts. Seawind moved to vacuum bagging in Australia, and resin infusion when setting up the Vietnam factory. There are a lot of carbon parts - like the integrated front crossbeam - even on my Seawind 1160 Lite (which is not their performance model). They continue that light, stiff focus.

Quote:
Moreover, I read that "The boat’s modular composite furniture also serves to stiffen the boat’s overall vinylester-infused structure." Interesting.
I can understand this one, having toured the factory and seeing my boat being made. The modular furniture is all composite panel. It is fully glassed into the boat - not just tabbed. Talk to some owners who's boats were built in Vietnam, with the resin infusion technology. They are both lighter, and stiffer.

Finally, another thing that I find appealing regarding Seawind is there is an Owners forum that is monitored by the factory as well. When I had to replace front Lexan windows on my twelve year old boat, I got detailed instructions of materials and steps from the factory to do it. Other issues are addressed in a very open manner. If you were at the Annapolis show, you could have talked with Richard Ward, the owner of the company. The 1160 Lite was a development that came about because so many of us Seawind 1000 owners wanted a larger boat, but still with outboards, and not finished out with all of the traditional wood interior, etc.

Seawind cat's don't appeal to everyone. Like I said before, I could chosen several other cats that had more equipment and comforts onboard, for less price. But read what the Cruising World guys wrote. One of the attributes of the Seawind 1260 was that it sailed well, had good visibility from both steering stations, etc. - things that nudged out the other competitors in the contest. We like to sail, we've owned a Seawind cat for over a dozen years now, so it was really easy choice when we wanted to upsize. I'm glad Seawind is getting some recognition. I think it is well-deserved.
Old 17-12-2018, 13:53   #15

As I mentioned above, advertising is an art.

Personally, I don't need to be told by Cruising World - or anyone else - what the "best boat under 50 feet" is. Or over 50 feet, for that matter. Or any size, for that matter.

Ahhh, it's just me ... thinking out loud.

I used to wear Levi Strauss & Co. jeans.

In Maine, where Hinckley Yachts (founded in 1928) are constructed, the minimum wage was recently raised to $10 per hour. I expect Hinckley employees make more than that, and "gosh golly", they make some nice boats.

Speaking of Vietnam, I wonder what it actually costs to build a $500K boat THERE.

Something to think about, as well as other related things.

Before this thread, I had never before heard of Seawind, nor Corsair Marine. I had heard of Wal-Mart, and business "offshoring" (hahahaha).

Congratulations. Advertising is an art form.
PortClydeMe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Seawind, wind