Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-12-2018, 19:16   #61

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite
Re: Congrats to Seawind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyan View Post
Cool, but do you spend more time in the saloon than in the cockpit area when on the hook? For us the saloon is second best to the cockpit. Maybe we're just outdoor people. (and I realize that not everyone cruises only lower latitudes, but I'm allergic to cold water. sorta)
On a Seawind 1160, once you open the tri-fold doors, the only difference in the saloon and the cockpit is whether you are sitting in aft seats next to the bbq pit, or around a table in wrap-around seating. The ventilation is thru the front, full-opening windows of the saloon. When opened up fully, there's not much difference in where you sit, as it's a huge, open, connected area. Someone said "dancefloor", and that is a good description.

I also read about the problems people think exist with galley down. Just about had me convinced, until I realized that we never experienced any of those issues in the 12 years we owned our SW1000 - an even smaller boat. Two people in the galley was not an issue. I also did much of the cooking at the aft BBQ pit, with a glass of wine, and open aft area. Ventilated, nice.

Plus, every one of the people that I know that owned Seawind 1000's never went looking for a galley-up boat as their next vessel. Liked the large saloon, and didn't want to give up any of that topsides space for a galley that only gets used for a few hours per day. And with the 1160 and the opening to the saloon above the galley cabinets, its easy to pass trays up, talk to people in the galley, etc. And the big windows in the hull provide for a great view in galley down. I think one of the reasons that Seawind doesn't have a galley up in the 1160, 1190 and 1260 is they make galley down work so well that they don't feel there is a need. If someone just has to have one, then they can buy another boat. I think that consumer base is limited. They also get the "you have to have a raised steering station." Oh, how much do I read that from people who all think they know better. Fine, go buy someone else's boat. I'd never want a raised steering station. Seawind does it right with the dual wheels. Its not a gimmick.
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2018, 19:26   #62

I also think that reason some people believe they can't be happy with galley down is because some of the cats have such crappy, small windows in the hulls. Who wants to cook in a submarine looking out a porthole, which is what some of those cat hulls feel like? I completely understand. But that said, the Seawind has very large windows that provide expansive views.

Something unrelated is that some of the cat saloons have the windows so high that you cant look out of them while in a seated position in the saloon. So that feels closed in as well. Never had that issue with my Seawind.
Old 21-12-2018, 23:38   #63

Congrats to Seawind.

I don’t think our group has “problems” with galley-down. They just all have more love for galley-up. Way more. I can respect the other views, and we don’t need to convince each other. I’m just voicing sadness that the gorgeous and capable 1260 will not work for us, for that one reason. Different strokes.
cyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2018, 00:02   #64
cruiser

Boat: OPBs

Quote:
I don’t think our group has “problems” with galley-down. They just all have more love for galley-up. Way more. I can respect the other views, and we don’t need to convince each other. I’m just voicing sadness that the gorgeous and capable 1260 will not work for us, for that one reason. Different strokes.
Luckily the 1600 ticks all your boxes! [emoji16]

It's a pretty sweet boat
tp12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2018, 12:38   #65

Quote:
Has your group done charters on galley down Seawind, especially 1160 or larger?
Old 22-12-2018, 17:09   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailjumanji View Post
Has your group done charters on galley down Seawind, especially 1160 or larger?
Not really- three of us did spend a couple nights on an 1160, already on the hook. I didn't even get to sail her, but the owners convinced me it was a winner under sail. I really admire what the Ozzies have done- seems somewhere neatly in between a condomaran and a performance sport-cat?
Old 25-12-2018, 06:02   #67

Boat: Seawind 1160

Quote:
Great detail, but I’m curious about this one point.
The one deal-breaker in our search is the galley down in the hull. I realize there are two schools of thought here, but our search just will never include galley-down. The reason is indeed the “sociable” environment of galley-up layouts, probably even the main reason we are looking at cats for the next boat, instead of another mono where the cook is isolated from the fun out in the cockpit area. (Especially at anchor)
What did you find “sociable” about the galley on the 1260?
We have an 1160, the galley down is still the same and is still very social. There is no full bulk head to block off the galley and you can interact with people in the saloon very easily.
The thing I liked most about the galley down is at sea and centre of gravity considerations. Movement is very reduced down there in a big sea, we have no fiddles on our non gimballed stove and use a full size 8 cup espresso coffee maker, it has fallen over only once and I was quite scared at that time. It sat on the stove across Gulf of Carpentier and Bonaparte Gulf both ways but took a a very large sideways shunt from a big side on sea where too strong currents meet in a very nasty winding tide situation to move it off the flame stand and topple over. Galley up is too much movement for me.
away again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 12:44   #68

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
I'm curious about this.
We were always clustered in the cockpit when on a smaller cat.
What sort of weather brings you mostly to the saloon when on the hook?
Admittedly, the breeze gets blocked back there, but inside is certainly not for us normally.

The biggest draw for me being in the salon of my Seawind 1000 is that I can lay down on one side of the bench seats around the table in the salon while I have to sit up on the cockpit seats at the helm or the bench seats around the barbie.

As for the weather the prevailing wind is almost always out of the East where I sail and anchor and the sun sets in the West. The result is that the later it gets in the day the more direct sun hits my already sunburned skin if I am in the cockpit. So much so that I have constructed canvas shades I hang on the solar array to provide shade when the sun is really low (also have some that run from the solar array to the salon roof for additional shade).

I also tend to read books and play on my laptop in the salon as my eyes don't work and play well doing this in direct sunlight. If the truth be known one of the big selling points for me was that Seawind cats provide a huge shaded area where I can get out of the sun (and rain) and still have superior ventilation.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/gallery...&cutoffdate=-1
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 14:56   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
The biggest draw for me being in the salon of my Seawind 1000 is that I can lay down on one side of the bench seats around the table in the salon while I have to sit up on the cockpit seats at the helm or the bench seats around the barbie.

As for the weather the prevailing wind is almost always out of the East where I sail and anchor and the sun sets in the West. The result is that the later it gets in the day the more direct sun hits my already sunburned skin if I am in the cockpit. So much so that I have constructed canvas shades I hang on the solar array to provide shade when the sun is really low (also have some that run from the solar array to the salon roof for additional shade).

I also tend to read books and play on my laptop in the salon as my eyes don't work and play well doing this in direct sunlight. If the truth be known one of the big selling points for me was that Seawind cats provide a huge shaded area where I can get out of the sun (and rain) and still have superior ventilation.

Blythe Spirit At Sunset - Taken at BKH Cruisers & Sailing Photo Gallery
Makes a lot of sense, thanks!
The sun issue did cause us to set up an anchor bridle on the sugar scoops a couple of times. Worked okay, but there's always some really helpful guy to come by in a dinghy and say "your're doing it wrong".

Holy guacamole, what an awesome sunset pic!!
Old 02-01-2019, 15:11   #70
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/gallery...&cutoffdate=-1

Look Tom, same day same place same clouds, probably taken a few minutes after you took your photo.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1994.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	198.6 KB
ID:	183083
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 18:25   #71

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Are the ladies on Power of Two still there?
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 09:53   #72
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Are the ladies on Power of Two still there?

Last I was there, no.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 10:52   #73

Boat: Seawind 1160

Quote:
Not really- three of us did spend a couple nights on an 1160, already on the hook. I didn't even get to sail her, but the owners convinced me it was a winner under sail. I really admire what the Ozzies have done- seems somewhere neatly in between a condomaran and a performance sport-cat?
Cyan,

I'd be happy to take you and your wife out for a sail on our 1160. We also have a new 1260 arriving in April. I think you'd really come to appreciate the Seawind's particular setup after having sailed for a day or two. It really is optimal for both safety AND entertainment, and the cook doesn't suffer in the process, as it's so open, but we can do a meal or two aboard to confirm this point.

Personally, if we're entertaining, we tend to use the full space of the cockpit and saloon and put serving platters on the dinette table, which we put in "cocktail mode" (turned out, with maximum walk around room). The cook is almost invariably cooking on the grill, so they're front and center. When it's just us, we still tend to grill more, but if we're prepping food in the galley, it certainly doesn't feel like you're out of the discussion, unless the other party is on the forward deck or way back on the targa seats.
robwrongshoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2019, 13:25   #74

Boat: 1984Catalina 30

I love the Seawind saw the 1160 at the Seattle boat show and will hopefully get onboard the 1260 in the next few days. It is at the top of the list for my wife and I as our retirement boat. The only concerning part for us is the overall storage space for full time liveaboards doing extended crusing. Are there any current owners that can address this?
phlbald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2019, 09:57   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlbald View Post
I love the Seawind saw the 1160 at the Seattle boat show and will hopefully get onboard the 1260 in the next few days. It is at the top of the list for my wife and I as our retirement boat. The only concerning part for us is the overall storage space for full time liveaboards doing extended crusing. Are there any current owners that can address this?
We cruised a Seawind 1000 for four months in 2016, from Texas thru Exumas, Bahamas and back. We were OK with two people, but wanted room for occasional guests and something faster for the longer runs between cays. We returned to Bahamas this year on our new 1160 Lite. It has plenty of room for the two of us, with stores, clothes, and just finished a week with two guests. That said, we are cruising warm weather for 4+ months and that doesn't require a lot of heavy clothes. We have a watermaker - as most of our destinations are moderately remote - and carry probably 2-3 months of food, beer, wine, sodas, etc. We shop for fresh veggies when available - it's a new island activity to see what they have and how to cook it! To our other Seawind 1000 friends here, the boat has lots more storage and room. To someone trying to fit their house closets and kitchen onboard, you will be challenged.

Tags
Seawind, wind