Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-10-2011, 15:49   #1

Conch Charters (BVI)

We are considering Conch Charters for a trip next year and would love to hear from folks who have used them before.

Thanks in advance.
cbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2011, 16:00   #2

Boat: Freedom Express 39 cat ketch
You might also wander over to traveltalkonline dot com in the BVI section you can search and find many opinions.
Rubikoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2011, 18:32   #3

Boat: Beneteau 473
Our boat has been with Conch for the 3 years. We have really liked the folks there. We go down 3 times a year to sail, so have gotten to know them quite well. They have taken very good care of our boat. The one time we had an issue on our boat they sent someone straight away to assist us. As owners I expect our experience is a little different, but would recommend them. We our taking our boat out of charter in March and moving aboard to cruise.
Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived. JEAN LUC PICARD, Captain of the Starship Enterprise
SmartMove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2011, 22:34   #4

Boat: Voyage 470 "SeaPaws II"
Re: Conch Charters (BVI)

We chartered once three years ago with Conch and had a pleasant experience. The people were nice , but we didn't like the boat. It was an older FP and we are Voyage people. the following year we tried Voyage Yachts and the 38 foot Voyage was much better. The operation there was so impressive we are buying a new owner version 520 and putting it in charter there. I am in Capetown today taking our last look at the new boat before going back to the USA.

Check out Voyage yachts in Sopher's Hole
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2011, 00:41   #5

Boat: Hunter 430

I've chartered there twice. The boats are not as new as the Moorings, hence the better price. It's also a much smaller outfit, which may appeal to you or it may not.

The boat we chartered the 1st time leaked when it rained as if it was made of cotton.....We chartered with them the 2nd time because we knew the exact boat that we wanted (saw it when we were there the 1st time), and loved it.

I would say that the folks at Conch are relatively nice, but the consistency of quality can be a little spotty.
hogfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2011, 11:26   #6

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbcat View Post
We are considering Conch Charters for a trip next year and would love to hear from folks who have used them before.

Thanks in advance.
Haven't chartered with them but do have my cat with them!

Boats are well looked after by competent and pleasant staff and the prices are very good.

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 17:36   #7

im thinking about chartering from conk in the BVI next summer. we were going to charter their L47 salivation anybody chartered this leopard before care to share their experience
thelog32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 17:41   #8

Boat: Gemini 105M 34
Send a message via Yahoo to captainstubbie

one experience with them - 'poof be gone' - I loved the staff, but I got just what I paid for with the boat. upper hatches leaked every night when it rained, fresh water pump kicked on and off all night, other misc. things. company compensated me by giving me a 'free' extra night charter on my next charter. have not been back...not sure I ever will be. again, the staff was great, the boats are simply 'ridden hard and put away wet'...you get what you pay for. lower charter price = lower condition boat. maybe would look at them again...not sure.
Old 03-05-2014, 12:33   #9

Boat: PDQ Capella 36

I had a positive experience with conch charters last year. I didn't notice that the reefs were in the main and my crew ripped it while hoisting, nobody thought to stop and see why it got so hard. conch turned around a repair in half a day and split the cost with me given then age of the sail. Nice operation, slightly more modest boats and slightly more modest prices.
Svan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 13:42   #10

Boat: 2011 Hunter 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svan View Post
I had a positive experience with conch charters last year. I didn't notice that the reefs were in the main and my crew ripped it while hoisting, nobody thought to stop and see why it got so hard. conch turned around a repair in half a day and split the cost with me given then age of the sail. Nice operation, slightly more modest boats and slightly more modest prices.

We have chartered with Conch 3 times for a total of 5 weeks. The boats were in very good condition and we had no real issues. We will be using them again.
zippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2016, 14:40   #11

Boat: bare boat charter world wide

After 33 years with the moorings, and sunsail, last year May, 2015 we, Erica and I, just the two of us, bare boat chartered with Conch charters in the BVI.

That was our 14th sailing vacation in the BVI. We really like the Conch people and the vessel. "Rocket" a jeanneu 36i. monohull.

She sailed well, trimmed up well, made fast knots, good sailing winds for the two weeks. No problems, all systems functioned, and in the two weeks experiencing most all of the islands, we only used 7 gallons of fuel...mostly to charge the batteries, and pick up moorings. We were reefed down most all of the time, with no weather helm. Dink ran well. For us, Conch was super.

We have already booked May, 2017 with Conch, a monohull 36i, for two weeks. Also, we flew from LAX / MIA / SJU/ EIS. So, for recovery time we stayed a couple of nights at the Fort Burt Hotel across the road, to ease into BVI time, swimming pool, marina dock side bar, a couple of other nearby restaurants within walking distance, room had great views of the Harbor.

Provisioned ourselves very easy. Walked a dock cart from the marina to the nearby well stocked grocery store and stowed them all aboard at 5 pm the night before our 11 am departure he next morning. Willy T, here we come !

For us life was easy and smooth, and actually Conch saved us $ 2000.00 from what Sunsail would have cost us. That was total over all cost.
bvisailing32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2016, 15:03   #12

Boat: Gemini 105M 34
Send a message via Yahoo to captainstubbie

Hi, I posted years back on this subject but thought I'd bring it up again. The people were absolutely wonderful, the cost is definitely less, but our boat had several issues. Leaky hatches, fresh water pump sticking on several times, and other various things. All and all the positive experience remained, as nothing was major, just minor inconveniences. I would use them again.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 21-07-2016, 15:14   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainstubbie View Post
Hi, I posted years back on this subject but thought I'd bring it up again. The people were absolutely wonderful, the cost is definitely less, but our boat had several issues. Leaky hatches, fresh water pump sticking on several times, and other various things. All and all the positive experience remained, as nothing was major, just minor inconveniences. I would use them again.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
I've ONLY used Moorings the past 31 years....overall VERY good experiences except the last one. We had MANY minor issues with our last boat, not to mention we couldn't leave the dock until 5pm due to some of these issues. Point is, even 1st tier company /boats can have issues. We were NOT happy campers with Moorings on that trip.

Good news is that Moorings gave us a cash credit for out troubles, and loss of sailing time.

We are using out cash credit on a cat this October for just the two of us....Sweet!

Tags
British Virgin Islands