Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-07-2016, 20:09   #1

Boat: 1993 Horstman Tristar trimaran, 46'
Complete fabrication of trampoline netting for my trimaran

I have a very beautifully built 45' Horstman Tristar trimaran.

I am looking to fill in the bows with a trampoline system/ setup. Most searches I do on the internet are for production boats or Hobies. Can anyone point me in the right direction of a reputable fabricator for the metal/ framing parts needed? Specifically I am looking for advice on the beams from the amas to the main hull and various attachment options for the netting. I've decided to go with dyneema for netting using that company in the PNW who will build cuch netting. But I first need to have the framing system/ kit built.

Thanks

Ideas?
captaingregger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 20:23   #2

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!
Re: Complete fabrication of trampoline netting for my trimaran

In the past I've just either used aluminum toerail track, or aluminum angle as the attachment framework. Generally anodized if available, but if not there are coatings available which protect things from corrosion pretty well.
If your boat's wooden, make sure that any holes for the attaching bolts are well sealed.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 10:12   #3

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

I've been very happy with Sunrise Yacht Products (www.multihullnets.com) in Florida. Cross beam designs can vary widely, usually aluminum mast sections or similar. On my last boat (40' Cross tri) the cross beams were actually cable, attached to eyebolts through the hulls. The cable ran through a sleeve on the edge of the tramp. Worked well, might be some pictures if you click on my avatar.
Old 04-07-2016, 10:20   #4

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

On a Horstman, you will find the deck-to-hull connection to be supported by a "sheer stringer". You can drill vertical holes through this stringer to attach wooden mounts for the bow nets. On my Searunner, with similar construction in this area, it has proven to be lightweight, durable, strong and inexpensive. Start with a vertical grain fir timber 3/4" thick by 2 1/2 inches wide. Mark a center line down the middle of the lumber strip, on its wide side, the mark centers every three or four inches. Drill one inch holes on these centers, the rip the timber down the middle to create two long "bridged" supports. Then, on the "closed" side of the thin width, drill 3/8 inch holes vertically where the holes for the supporting "tree nails" will go. You can start by temporarily tapping 3/8 inch birch dowel pins into the first hole and the first hole in the deck. Then, sequentially drill and insert each succeeding pin, bending the timber as needed, to establish a fair curve. Then pull all the temporary "tree nails" out, shape all places that will benefit from a radius, using a router bit. then epoxy the strips well and prepare to permanently glue them in. Then, dip the dowels into epoxy, taking care to mask inside so as not to drip epoxy down the inside of the hulls. When hardened, saw off any protruding dowel, sand them to match the radiused top of the bow net rail, epoxy, prime and paint. I use the small Spectra cord available in rig shops to attach the nets to the rail. I'll try to send some pics later (Im using another computer at the moment).

And, like FSMike, I REALLY love my Sunrise nets.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 13:48   #5

Boat: Outremer 42

Had three boats with sunrise nets and one with a purpose-built German set. Go for Sunrise every time and call them to discuss.
out42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 12:24   #6

Boat: Hedley Nicol Vagabond MK2, 37'

I use heavy netting from the fishing industry and am very pleased.
Cavalier MK2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fabric, ramp, trimaran