Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-06-2008, 15:38   #1

Compare cats 38' to 42'

I am looking for a catamaran between 38' and 42', and would like others opions and suggestion on this size range. I have been sailng since late 1999 to May of 2002. Have owned a 38' Lagoon, 34 PDQ, and a 43' Leopard (with someone else). I liked the Leopard the best, not just size and room, but the way things were laid out.

Because of health reasons, and my partner wanting out, I sold the Leopard 43', and have been stuck on land for lettle over a year. I am 62 and want to be able to singe hand and travel back down the Bahama's to the Virgin Island and oud south. Please give me your options.

Stan
Stanley Boone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 13:14   #2

Boat: Privilege 37
Stan, I'm very happy with my Privilege 37 and it is more than enough room for a single hander and guests. The quality of construction is better than most and it sails very well. The other boat in this size range I like is the Lagoon 37 made by TPI. I have several friends that love their Lagoons and they are a great value for the money. Although both boats are 37s, they have as much space as many 38s.
Old 04-06-2008, 08:10   #3

Boat: PDQ32
Suggest you check comments at the recent thread on the Leopard 38 - it may suit your needs.
Old 21-06-2008, 04:40   #4

Boat: 1990 Morgan 41 Classic
Stanley, we looked at all kinds of cats for a couple of years and recently settled on an Admiral 40. As you know each person has their own requirements and the Admiral fit us quite well. There is quite a wait list for a new one and no used on the market yet. If I didn't have a headroom requirement ( I am 6' 3") I would have seriously considered an Admiral 38. Captain Jack just put his up for sail after a multi-year adventure

Admiral 38 Catamaran For Sale Boat photos Specs
laser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2008, 09:45   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: PDQ 36 & Atlantic 42
I'm 62 and occasionally singlehand, but I depend on my autopilot, and docking can be a challenge. The following features make this possible: All lines come to the cockpit. My single line reefing works, and get exercised regularly. I have lazy jacks and will get a stackpack soon. Fenders stay attached but flip in over the lifelines when under sail. I wear an inflatable with harness when the weather is less than perfectly benign. I plan to arrive at all destinations well before the sun gets low. unfortunately my windlass is controlled from the starboard bow, and the anchor has to be unpinned before it will drop, so that aspect needs attention. I have DSC, AIS, and XM weather. I don't like surprises. When single handing I post a sailplan and contact someone on land daily. And I have a good handhold for "saluting" from the transom. I am very happy with my PDQ because the systems are simple, reliable and very well behaved. A larger boat (particulary a larger heavier boat) might demand more strength and agility than I can muster on a repetitive basis.

But single handing is boring; I can talk to myself, but I can't tell me jokes because the punchlines are never a surprise.
sandy daugherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2008, 05:12   #6

Boat: Jaguar 22 mono called Arfur.
Have a look at the older prouts, there are some good fast snowgeese around ideal rear mast stay sail configuration that's made for short handed cruising but with a good turn of speed. Fatter 'Elite's have double berths in the rear at the expense of drag. Find a canoe hull version if you can, not the chopped off stern. Prices are explainable to her indoors and structural integrety as good as the survey says.
Old 24-06-2008, 05:47   #7
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
Stanley, I assume that since you sold your Leopard 43 when your partner wanted out, you are looking for something less expensive. Obviously, budget makes a huge difference in terms of selection - what kind of price range are you considering?

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2008, 06:00   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy daugherty View Post
I'm 62 and occasionally singlehand, but I depend on my autopilot, and docking can be a challenge. The following features make this possible: All lines come to the cockpit. My single line reefing works, and get exercised regularly. I have lazy jacks and will get a stackpack soon. Fenders stay attached but flip in over the lifelines when under sail. I wear an inflatable with harness when the weather is less than perfectly benign. I plan to arrive at all destinations well before the sun gets low. unfortunately my windlass is controlled from the starboard bow, and the anchor has to be unpinned before it will drop, so that aspect needs attention. I have DSC, AIS, and XM weather. I don't like surprises. When single handing I post a sailplan and contact someone on land daily. And I have a good handhold for "saluting" from the transom. I am very happy with my PDQ because the systems are simple, reliable and very well behaved. A larger boat (particulary a larger heavier boat) might demand more strength and agility than I can muster on a repetitive basis.

But single handing is boring; I can talk to myself, but I can't tell me jokes because the punchlines are never a surprise.
Sandy,
Nicely said and what good, sensible practice and advice.
Shame about the Bollock though, we normally have 2 in England
Cheers
Ian
ireaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2008, 17:56   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Ireany, you are entirely too modest; I'm absolutely positively sure there are more than two in England!
Old 25-06-2008, 01:25   #10

Sandy, My mistake and yes you are right there are probably about 30 million pairs.
I think that we may have hijacked this thread enough, are you looking at changing your PDQ and going a bit bigger into the 38-40ft range and if so what would you look for.
Ian
Old 25-06-2008, 11:31   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

bollARD,
bollARD,
bollARD,
bollARD,
bollARD,
I think I've got it.
Ian; I had the joneses for a Catana 40, had a contract on a very nice one, but the party buying my PDQ didn't. I decided instead to dress up my 36; new engines, new sails, new running rigging, new head and hot water, bigger batteries, etc. I'm in the middle of an insanely ambitious overhaul of all the electronics at the moment. This includes: two new big screen chartplotters, new radar, AIS, new VHF and complete nmea integration, new boat computer and entertainment system, retractable Interphase Forward scanning Sonar, 50 meter night vision camera. I may also add ssb after I've learned a bit more about it. Also to come are a stackpack and powered halyard winch. When a contact on the Eastern Shore is ready to take my 5KW Westerbeke, I'll be downsizing to a 3KW and regaining a stateroom.

Since I can never ever hope to sell the boat for what I have in it, I think I'll keep it for a very long time. Its quick enough, I can fix everything on it, and in favorable conditions I can handle it by myself. It has more room than I need, but is long enough to comfortably ride out the occasional short, steep, confused chop on the Chesapeake. Since I don't do hero sailing, If I ever get it to the Med, it will be aboard a bigger ship.

My perfect cat would be a daggerboard PDQ 32 on a forty foot waterline, that could be hauled out for the winter at a self service yard within 15 minutes of the crib.
Old 26-06-2008, 03:30   #12

Hi Sandy, I think what you are doing is probably the right thing, ie. you know your boat, how she handles all her little quirks etc and by improving her to the degree you are she sounds like she will be fantastic.
I know very little about PDQ's is yours a Classic or a Capella?
I also note that you say you don't go hero sailing, who in their right mind actually does or wants to, unless you get caught out. I like to enjoy my sailing and not come back bruised, cut, exhausted etc but relaxed and chomping at the bit to get out there again.
I looked last night on the internet at the PDQ's and found that they made the 42ft Antares before the 44i, have you ever saled the larger PDQ's, the reason I ask is that I would like a Fusion 40, but there are a couple of things that don't suit me ie the steering position, and as I am looking at cats (as this topic states 38-42ft) I am now curious about the PDQ 42 and wonder how she may perform.
I have considered the Lagoon 410 as she has 95% of what I want (only drawback is the engines under the berths) and she may not be the fastest on the planet, but she is roomy, safe, handles well and the performance is not to bad but would not be anywhere near as good a Fusion 40, but then do I want a racing machine that puts more risks in place!! I can't make my mind up.
So if you know anything about the larger PDQ's I would love to hear.
Cheers
Ian