Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-05-2015, 13:30   #1

Boat: Manta 40 catamaran
Coating for tramp?

Our tramp was painted/coated black by a previous owner.

I want to change it to white - the black coating is not only hot to walk on, but it also rubs off a little on your feet - tracking back onto the deck.

The webbing is in great shape, so I'd hate to replace it.

Does anyone know what coating could have been used? Or a product that might work?

It's clear from the rods that hold the webbing that it was brushed on.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150519_160742_394.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	319.8 KB
ID:	102377  
Old 19-05-2015, 18:26   #2

Re: Coating for tramp?

Flexabar Corporation sells latex-based UV coatings that will work very well for your needs. It comes in a variety of colors, goes on like paint, and dries with a rubber-like flexibility. In my experience the coating will last at least six years of year round exposure. I recommend you apply at least two coats or, if possible, soak the tramp in a bucket of the stuff so as to achieve full coverage.
Howaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2015, 18:53   #3

Boat: 31' Corsair/Farrier(RIP) trimaran. Lauwersmeer Cruiser in Europe canals. 19' Lightning

Sounds like the previous is a good possibility but there have been many suggestions on the Fboats Yahoo Group. There is also an Fboat, (singular), group but that is censored and has less participation. The Fboats, plural, was started by the hall of fame designer of the earlier Corsairs and all fboats, Ian Farrier. He contributes regularly much to his credit and to the great advantage of not just his boat owners but other small trimaran owners. I'd recommend visiting there. I have never figured out how to do a proper search on Yahoo groups though. I just post a new thread even though I know the subject has been previously discussed. I find Yahoo not very customer friendly especially since they revamped it a few years ago.
ejlindahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2015, 21:57   #4

Boat: 31' Corsair/Farrier(RIP) trimaran. Lauwersmeer Cruiser in Europe canals. 19' Lightning
Opps got my Farrier Yahoo Groups mixed up

I couldn't edit my previous post. I got the Fboat Yahoo groups mixed up. Fboat singular is Ian Farriers group, the one you want. Fboats, plural, is the lesser used one.
ejlindahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2015, 05:00   #5
cruiser

Don't search the F-boat groups, the answer is:

Sunrise Yacht Products, aka multihullnets dot com, carries what they call "Net Paint." it's a vinyl coating that you just paint on. I don't see it listed at their site, but I did get my can of net paint from them. It's good stuff.

It's messy, so unless you're very patient, you'll want to either cover your hulls to prevent drips on them, or pull your nets to paint them. I used to paint my F-boat's nets by laying them on a drop cloth, painting one side at a time. The stuff takes a bit of time to cure, so you can let it dry to the touch, and then install the nets for stretching for full cure (don't walk on 'em till cured). Honestly, though, I don't know there's that much in the whole stretching thing - the paint is very flexible
jaybird1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2015, 12:47   #6

Boat: Manta 40 catamaran

I've sent notes to both Multihullnets and Flexabar. Looks like either should do the job. The question I have to them is whether a white coating will cover the black. Thanks for the leads!

Tags
ramp