Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-01-2012, 17:28   #46

Boat: Sparkman & Stephens 34
Re: Coastal Cruiser for Plywood / Epoxy Build

Have a look at this: 9m Folding Catamaran
stevemid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2012, 03:33   #47

I did look at that, seems to waste a lot of space, is ugly and the plans (compared to other well known designs) are expensive I thought.

You have to wonder why designers insist on it being trailerable without a permit in this size range. Realistically with rigging time etc how many of these boats get trailed? Classic is probably the number of seawind 24's on moorings.

Whilst the idea is nice, in practise I think you end up with too much of a compromise for very little real benefit.

I am a fan of cat's, but if you want trailerable I think the trailerable mono's are better "cruising" boats generally in the trailerable style, with less compromise
Cookiesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2012, 04:07   #48
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Coastal Cruiser for Plywood / Epoxy Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookiesa View Post
Hoping to get some input from the greater community here.

I have a young family and we are looking at building a small coastal cruising cat. Budget and time means a larger vessel is not required at this stage.

Most of our sailing will be around the Tasmanian coast off southern Australia. Due to the location and berthing requirements a bridge deck is required. As it is a family project we would like to build as opposed to buy and repair. Although we will mostly be "fair" weather sailing the seas can be rough, and strong winds common. We want a design that is suitable for island hoping/coastal cruising as the vessel will most likely end up sailing off the South Australian Coast later on as well.

I want bilge keels as it will be on a mooring that dries, also want to be able to beach regularly and easily. Of course internal space is better without boards and we need every bit we can get lol.

I have had preliminary discussions with Richard Wood's about some changes to his Shadow design. Namely a bridge deck/cuddy (current design has a solid floor) with a double bed/table arrangement and sugar scoop sterns for easier boarding for the kids when swimming.

I'd appreciate any owners feedback or any alternate designs you may think are appropriate. Comfortable with ply/epoxy build, don't want to get involved with exotics.

At this stage we have narrowed it down to
You want to look seriously at the Wharram Tiki Coastal Trek 21.... I know the hulls are coffinlike to sleep in but... if you make the hatches poptop it makes a difference... ideal for kids upto 12+... your camping right..
For myself I pitched a dome tent on the deck and had an inflatable double... cooking was a 2 burner integral stove... everything else basic and fun...
as for sugar scoops... not needed just fit a boarding ramp into the rear tramp area.
I also designed and hand sewed a 12'x6' aerodynamic sprayhood for off watch sleeping underway...
My GF and I used to lift her of the trailer onto the wheels (build yourself) and assemble and launch in two hours... ranks as the most fun boat I ever owned... just about everyone who sailed on her loved her...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	img042.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	432.5 KB
ID:	36231   Click image for larger version

Name:	img040.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	294.5 KB
ID:	36232  

Click image for larger version

Name:	img043.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	155.9 KB
ID:	36233   Click image for larger version

Name:	img046.jpg
Views:	405
Size:	207.4 KB
ID:	36234  

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2012, 14:28   #49

Thanks for the input we have chosen and strated building a Ray Kendrick design (Australian Designer)

Thanks again
Cookiesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2012, 19:44   #50
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

And an excellent designer at that
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruiser, plywood