Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

View Poll Results: Circumnavigating Cat without liferaft
Yes 21 17.36%
Depends on the Cat 20 16.53%
No way no how 80 66.12%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-02-2008, 13:33   #136

Boat: FP Tobago 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastcat435 View Post
Hallo Alan

If you need help in the process let me know , my phone cell number is
+31654908128 If you need epoxy I might be able to help you get a good price since we order 5 tons of infusion epoxy each 3 months from Germany

Greetings

Gideon

Hi Gideon,

I'll call you in about a week...

Thanks

Alan
Old 24-02-2008, 22:55   #137
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FastCat 445 Green Motion
Send a message via Skype™ to fastcat435
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic cat View Post
Hi Gideon,

I'll call you in about a week...

Thanks

Alan
Next week I will be in South Africa , leaving there coming wednesday
My office number there is +27317057907
or on skype my skype name is fastcat435

Gideon
Old 29-02-2008, 00:34   #138

Boat: Building Atlantic 57 Nogal / selling souther ocean 62 "ocean sula"
Steve Dashew seems to prefer a well prepared dinghy over a liferaft, here are 2 pictures:

SetSail.com - the serious cruising sailor's website
Old 29-02-2008, 03:04   #139
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
The Dashews are effecting a compromise, such that they “... using the dinghy for exploration in remote locales ...’, as well as a liferaft; saying “... We have always thought of a properly prepared dinghy as a better option than the life raft in most situations ...”

I wouldn’t think that abandoning ship mid-ocean, where most of us might opt for a dedicated liferaft, can be characterised as a routine (‘most”) situation.

The “right tool” is always preferable to a “multi-tool” in performing any critical function, such as when abandoning ship; and I think it’s irresponsible of them (Dashews) to foist off their internal rationalizations (about their compromise solution) as considered advice.

Compromises are often necessary, given (most of) our limited resources. We carefully consider each, and make them grudgingly. We shouldn’t rationalize that these unavoidable concessions are “better” - they’re just what's “possible”, given our limited choices.

Old 29-02-2008, 10:13   #140
cruiser

Dashew never does things the cheap way

"Compromises are often necessary, given (most of) our limited resources. We carefully consider each, and make them grudgingly. We shouldn’t rationalize that these unavoidable concessions are “better” - they’re just what's “possible”, given our limited choices." You can be sure that if Dashew doesn't have a life raft, it isn't because of the money. He always seems to do things the highest quality, most expensive way possible.
Old 15-03-2008, 19:20   #141

Boat: Chris White A47 Mastfoil
Thanks everyone! I'm still a little unsure as to the right answer.

An interesting question arose for me out of this dialog. If you had to chose, would you abandon ship in a liferaft or a dink? I may start that thread later if we don't get a response in this thread.

I kind of like the idea of having a dinghy that has many of the features of a life raft - a cover, ditch bag, sea anchor, sail?, etc.

Given that I think I would be chose the dinghy.
Old 15-03-2008, 19:48   #142
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
If you can convert your dinghy into a miniaturized version of a modern ships lifeboat with all the same survival amenities, then excellent. That beats a life raft any day. But how to do this is a big question. Dinghys are not lifeboats. They are not even close without all the survival goodies that come with a lifeboat.

Image:Brosen lifeboats scandinavia.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

[img]file:///C:/Users/David/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg[/img]

Life begins where land ends.
Old 15-03-2008, 20:07   #143
cruiser

When and where?

Speaking as one who has made a number of passages, I would say that this is more complicated than it may seem. If you are in a race and go missing, someone will come looking for you, and have some idea of where you are. If you are in huge breaking seas, you may want the built in canopy and water ballast of a liferaft, where you can await rescue in the best available comfort and security. But if you are a cruiser, out there with no schedule to speak of in the relatively moderate seas of the tropical waters of the world, you probably want a dingy so you can rescue yourself. Obviously, a really big inflatable nylon and Hypalon dingy with a ditch bag, a lug or sprit sail rig, a sea anchor, and a canopy would be best. This question is complicated by the fact that people's trust that all was well inside that white liferaft cannister has sometimes been disappointed. In a multihull, I would concentrate on fireproofing and guaranteeing the buoyancy of the boat, and stay with it.
Old 15-03-2008, 20:56   #144

Boat: Currently between boats; last owned/lived aboard my Lagoon 410.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRhapCity View Post
Given that you stay with the overturned Cat, have an eprib and are trying to keep the weight down on a circumnavigating cat.

Would you consider going without a liferaft?
The salesman asked me why I required a liferaft when I bought my cat, a Lagoon 41. My reply: a. The Titanic (things don't always go as planned/designed) b. Can my boat catch fire? Yes, well then I rest my case.
OK, when it comes to safety at sea I tend towards the conservative. Long swims don't appeal to me. BTW the size, type and equipment aboard the liferaft is worth as much attention as whether or not to get one. There have been some very revealing "tests" conducted by either West Marine or Latitude 38. Recreational sailor men and women were placed into liferafts for extended periods. The fatigue and discomfort encountered in a relatively short period argued for: A.) Double bottoms for insulation from the sea, B.) Liferafts that have better stability under heavy wave conditions and C.) Bigger liferafts than the stated size. (Four adults in a four person liferaft are cramped.) are just a few of the notable findings.
Good luck!
Old 15-03-2008, 23:17   #145
cruiser

Multihulls need special characteristics to make good liferafts

[quote=EdKangeter;143527]The salesman asked me why I required a liferaft when I bought my cat, a Lagoon 41. My reply: a. The Titanic (things don't always go as planned/designed) b. Can my boat catch fire? Yes, well then I rest my case.
Yes, unfortunately, stock boats aren't made with fire retardant resin, don't have lots of watertight compartments of adequate size to insure buoyancy if one or two are holed, don't come equipped with engine room automatic fire extinguishing systems, and don't come with large amounts of closed cell foam in addition to the core found in the hulls and deck laminates. You can add the Fireboy or similar fire extinguishing systems, but the rest pretty much depends on having either a custom or home-built boat in which these safety measures were a part of the initial design concept. I would think twice about using the usual stock multihull as a liferaft , too, as my calculations show that the buoyancy in the laminate from sandwich cores is not really enough to insure adequate buoyancy.
Old 16-03-2008, 04:29   #146
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: 1999 Hughes 30 Cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronflonflon View Post
Steve Dashew seems to prefer a well prepared dinghy over a liferaft, here are 2 pictures:

SetSail.com - the serious cruising sailor's website
The equipped dingy the Dashew's are displaying plus the gear seem quite a bit of weight for a multihull.
Old 16-03-2008, 05:21   #147
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdKangeter View Post
The fatigue and discomfort encountered in a relatively short period argued for: ................. C.) Bigger liferafts than the stated size. (Four adults in a four person liferaft are cramped.) are just a few of the notable findings.
My understanding (which may of course be wrong!) is that Liferafts are designed to be cramped - as the number of bodies insides provides ballast - so a 6 person raft with only 2 people inside would be a lot less stable than a full one. The downside for stability is being cramped.
Old 16-03-2008, 09:12   #148
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
My understanding (which may of course be wrong!) is that Liferafts are designed to be cramped - as the number of bodies insides provides ballast - so a 6 person raft with only 2 people inside would be a lot less stable than a full one. The downside for stability is being cramped.
Wouldn't the water chambers on the underside far outweigh the persons on board so as to make the crew weight less relevant? If not, they should.

Life begins where land ends.
Old 16-03-2008, 09:43   #149
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FastCat 445 Green Motion
Send a message via Skype™ to fastcat435
I would like to give you all the advice when the life raft is due for service to actually trow the thing in the water ( if you are lucky it will actually inflate ) and try it out for as many people as it is meant for , I have , a 4 seater with 4 people is hardly possible , if you still have to get one then always get a raft that can handle 2 extra people in other words for 4 get a 6 and for 6 get an 8.
It is almost impossible to crawl into a 4 seater weith 4 people
Old 16-03-2008, 09:51   #150

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
To have your cabin flooded, decks awash, radio out (not to mention a pissed off Admiral), etc.
Then the raft does not inflate.
Boy, that would suck!
I wonder what those percentages are?
Closed Thread

Tags
circumnavigation, liferaft