Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 07-04-2014, 09:25   #16

Re: Choosing a Family Cruising Cat on a Budget

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellerw View Post
I have to say I'm in a fairly similar situation (from Edmonton, 3 kids), albeit with about double your budget. Although we are looking right now, our planned departure date is late 2015 (will take that long to remove lifes shackles).

The first question I will ask is if either of you have actually been on a Cat? The reason I ask is my wife's first time was last week and it was an eye opener for her. She wasn't prepared for how small they actually are (and we looked at a Lagoon 440). At 35' would feel really small with 2 adults and 3 kids. Not impossible, but I think you should experience one first.

Hello,
We were on some cats at the boat show">Miami boat show, the smallest was the Seawind 1000 and we were good with the space. We haven't yet been on any of the boats on our list but have seen a Victory 35 and Gemini in person on our vacation to Hawaii last year. We want to keep our boat budget low so as to have enough money left over to support a cruising lifestyle..
The Lagoon 440 looks like a nice boat.
Thanks
Ryan

Old 07-04-2014, 09:37   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonV View Post
Don't get me wrong. If I could afford a big cat I would have one even a 38 lagoon at a pinch. My advice fwiw take your 100k and look at monos. You will get a lot more boat for your $ and one more in tune with your future plans. Now if your budget was 200 -300k then a cat it should be. This is just my opinion but money is king.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Hi,
We like the layout of the cats (having the kids in the other hull) and limited heeling. I do agree we could get more boat for our budget with a mono and who knows we may include some in our search after we see the 35 ft cats.
Thanks
Ryan

Old 07-04-2014, 10:03   #18

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan B View Post
Hello,
We were on some cats at the Miami boat show, the smallest was the Seawind 1000 and we were good with the space. We haven't yet been on any of the boats on our list but have seen a Victory 35 and Gemini in person on our vacation to Hawaii last year. We want to keep our boat budget low so as to have enough money left over to support a cruising lifestyle..
The Lagoon 440 looks like a nice boat.
Thanks
Ryan
All the power to you.. If you can make it happen on a smaller boat for less money than that is great. The less you spend on the boat, the longer you can stay out there.

For us, there is no way we could raise our family of 5 on a 35'. Our kids are 7, 5 and 3 and I just don't think there is enough room as the kids begin to get older.

Personally, I don't think you can get a "Blue Water Capable" Catamaran for $100K. I don't have a ton of experience, but I have been watching the market for 6 months and I have yet to see one come up anywhere near that. You might be able to find a blue water capable "fixer-upper" for under $100K, but it would require $50-60K to bring it up to blue water standard.

If you plan on coastal cruising or staying in the Caribbean, then its possible to do it under 100K but not easy. You will need to keep a close eye on the market and be ready to move immediately.

I will point you over to Nate's blog as he recently finished his search. He was looking for a blue water cat, already equipped, over 35' for under $150K.
Home - The Nomad Trip

P.S. We looked at the 440 as it was the only Cat in that marina. Most 440s are over my 200K budget (when equipped).
Old 07-04-2014, 10:21   #19

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Quote:
Most 440s are over my 200K budget (when equipped).
ALL 440s are way over my 200K budget (when equipped)

I fixed that for you.
Old 07-04-2014, 10:29   #20

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
ALL 440s are way over my 200K budget (when equipped)

I fixed that for you.
It really depends on what I meant by equipped... If it came with no engines and a single oar, I MIGHT be able to get it for 200K
Old 07-04-2014, 10:35   #21

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

I learned about the Solaris Sunstar 36 on this forum. It really is a good boat and a modern design and in your price range. I really like it. You should put it on your short list.
Catamaran 1992 Solaris Sunstar Catamaran For Sale
Old 07-04-2014, 10:54   #22

Another option to consider is Catalac. Older but solid.

But I think in this size range, you are going to be very cramped in any of the options. It's just the 2 of us in our Gemini full time. After a long weekend with the nieces, I know I wouldnt' want to do it long term.
Old 07-04-2014, 11:30   #23

Winnipeg and Edmonton wanta be cruisers eh! Lived in both places, Lake of the Woods or Lake Winnipeg for the Manitoba crowd and Lake Wabamum or drive north to Cold lake for the Edmontonian's. We have had some decent sailors come from both places, good on you guys.
Damn tough to get a decent Cat for $100,000. If you pay that much you'll sink another $30,000 plus into it getting it ready for sea.
Read about Bagheera the Copeland family from Vancouver that sailed around the world with 3 kids on a 38 foot first Beneteau. Your dollar will go further in a mono hull, don't get me wrong Cats are great but not in your price range when you start talking blue water sailing.
Anyways Winnipeg and Edmonton have been home for us for many years and both are great places to have come from. Good luck in your dreams!
Old 07-04-2014, 11:38   #24
smj

Boat: Searunner 38 catamaran

Quote:
All the power to you.. If you can make it happen on a smaller boat for less money than that is great. The less you spend on the boat, the longer you can stay out there.

For us, there is no way we could raise our family of 5 on a 35'. Our kids are 7, 5 and 3 and I just don't think there is enough room as the kids begin to get older.

Personally, I don't think you can get a "Blue Water Capable" Catamaran for $100K. I don't have a ton of experience, but I have been watching the market for 6 months and I have yet to see one come up anywhere near that. You might be able to find a blue water capable "fixer-upper" for under $100K, but it would require $50-60K to bring it up to blue water standard.

If you plan on coastal cruising or staying in the Caribbean, then its possible to do it under 100K but not easy. You will need to keep a close eye on the market and be ready to move immediately.

I will point you over to Nate's blog as he recently finished his search. He was looking for a blue water cat, already equipped, over 35' for under $150K.
Home - The Nomad Trip

P.S. We looked at the 440 as it was the only Cat in that marina. Most 440s are over my 200K budget (when equipped).

Plenty of blue water cats for under $100,000. Look at all the Prout 37's on Yachtworld. Our old Solaris Sunstar is on Yachtworld with an asking price of $110,000. Those two examples are good blue water boats. I'm sure if you look hard enough you'll find many more.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 07-04-2014, 12:06   #25
smj

Boat: Searunner 38 catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
I learned about the Solaris Sunstar 36 on this forum. It really is a good boat and a modern design and in your price range. I really like it. You should put it on your short list.

Catamaran 1992 Solaris Sunstar Catamaran For Sale

That's our old Sunstar. On Yachtworld for $110,000 now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 28-10-2014, 22:24   #26

Have you read the story of Ronelle van Rooyen in cat Prrrfektion. Worth a read. They sailed for 10 years in a Jeff Schionning cat from South Africa
Old 29-10-2014, 12:25   #27

http://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/46770 this looks like a nice cat. It might fit your needs it is well under budget

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 29-10-2014, 16:04   #28

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maniew View Post
Have you read the story of Ronelle van Rooyen in cat Prrrfektion. Worth a read. They sailed for 10 years in a Jeff Schionning cat from South Africa
OMG! They did a circumnavigation on a Wildcat and they didn't die? Clearly this must be a fictitious blog because we know this is not possible from conventional "wisdom" here on CF. ;-)

Link to their blog: http://www.sailblogs.com/member/prrr.../?xjMsgID=3715

I've owned a W35 for 14 years now and have been pleased with it. Cost effective, solidly built (not all were), sea worthy and comfortable.

Occassionally I lust after other boats, but the thought of spending many times more on the ultimate cruising cat cools me down pretty quickly. We discussed changing boats recently and ended up with a one word conclusuon..."Why?".
Old 30-10-2014, 22:42   #29

Jeff Schionning equals Wildcat???
Old 30-10-2014, 22:46   #30

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maniew View Post
Jeff Schionning equals Wildcat???
No, but Wildcat was based on a Schionning design. Don't know whether that was with his consent.

The boat referenced in the blog above is a Wildcat 35.

Tags
budget, cruising, family

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: