Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 21-03-2015, 12:07   #46

Re: Choosing a catamaran to live aboard with family

Originally Posted by jamestholtzinge View Post
To avoid changing boats after you have bought one, go as big as you can. You will still need a wind generator, at least 2 solar panels and a minimum of a gas generator like a Honda ei2000i. That will give you minimum power to live aboard. To travel with the boat then you need all the other stuff. GPS chart plotter, sonar, auto pilot, and last of all radar. Back ups for everything. It may take you a couple of years to set it up right. This is my 8 year living aboard I will never go back. Stick to the Keys and the Bahamas until you feel comfortable expanding your back yard.
These items aren't required but with children on board and being a novice to some degree, it would be prudent to have more rather than less. Sure as time passes and everyone is more confident and knowledgeable, downsizing is reasonable and simplifies life. More safety and comfort starting out could prevent a great family experience turning into one to forget. Looks like good advice.

bobbyg4eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2015, 18:27   #47
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 1999 Leopard 45, 45 foot cat, 1980 Hunter 33, 33 foot monohull

Consider one of the original Leopard 38's. Three staterooms, two heads, one tub! Very strong. Reasonable price. A boat to grow into, as well.

contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 10:16   #48

I did this for all of 2012 with my wife, four kids, two golden retrievers on a 2006 43' FP Belize ending its charter life which we rented for $4000/month--so nice to not have a boat at the end of the trip to deal with! We did 22 countries and 8000 miles. PM me for details--you really need ALOT less than you think. Best advice I got before departure: Just go!
dbauhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 16:06   #49

Boat: V45

Originally Posted by travellerw View Post
Maybe I can offer some insight as doing this right now.

We have 3 kids, aged 4, 6 and 8 and just purchased our boat. Although we plan to start out in the Caribbean, we didn't want to be limited and wanted a boat that could take us anywhere. Here is the short list we settled on (not in any particular order)!
1. FP Athena or Venezia
2. Privilege
3. Lagoon 380

As you will see by my signature, I didn't end up with a boat on my short list. Instead I ended up with a boat that I had never heard of. There was nothing wrong with any of the boats on my short list, but an opportunity came up that I couldn't pass up. This is an important lesson I learned while boat shopping. Right now its a buyers market and if you have the funds (LIQUID) and are ready to move, there are some fantastic deals. So I suggest you be flexible and take you time, but be ready to move when a deal comes up.

So with that suggestion.. Let me link a boat that I would have been interested in if it had come up while I was looking. There is NOT a ton of information about this brand, but I have been told they are well built and good sailers. The only downside I have ever heard is about the helm locations. Although its not only a downside, there are many advantages to having the helms located on the scoops, especially in the Caribbean.

1997 Nautitech 395 Sail Boat For Sale -
Island Spirits are great boats - very tough and can handle a load. Good choice. Yeah, we used to own one...........

Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote

catamaran, family

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: