Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-03-2015, 11:44   #16
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Re: Choosing a catamaran to live aboard with family

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamestholtzinge View Post
SMJ: I don't really care what you think, I was giving my 2 cents to wm00. Talk to him. He wants your opinions for what reason I have no idea, I don't want them.

Sorry, guess I just disagreed with your list.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2015, 14:15   #17

Boat: F/P Mahe 36

Russ the diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2015, 19:23   #18

Boat: TPI Lagoon Catamaran 42'

Get a Lagoon 42' TPI. Awesome boat, plenty of room. Built in America by Tillotson Pearson in Rhode Island. 4 cabins two heads, huge water and fuel tanks. Sails like a small boat.
duefocena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2015, 19:41   #19
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Choosing a catamaran to live aboard with family

Woo Woooo.... Hissy Fit Thread...
Get a Wharram...

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2015, 19:55   #20

You can read the book A Sail of Two Idiots. I found the book informative and entertaining.
woodboy12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2015, 20:26   #21

Boat: Tinker Traveller...a dozen feet of bluewater awesomeness!

I think smj's boat more than fits the bill.
I don't know if PDQ's have any particular weakness. They seem under-priced, considering the build quality, and I think you'd recoup money spent when it comes time to put it back on the market.
Comfortable and safe boat. I wish the visibility inside the saloon were better (okay, found 1 weak point!)
snort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2015, 11:32   #22

Boat: FP Antigua 37

There is a FP Antigua 37 in great shape in the Med that needs a new family to take care of her. Could be a sale or a long lease or other constructive proposal!
Moonskater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2015, 07:47   #23

Boat: No boat..yet.every now and then they let me be the winch monkey...

Privilege 39 should be within your budget,If I am not mistaken there is a CF member who owns/owned one,strong boat.

I think this is their blog;
http://maxingout.com/the_boat.htm

Good luck!
JJ77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2015, 08:29   #24

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Maybe I can offer some insight as doing this right now.

We have 3 kids, aged 4, 6 and 8 and just purchased our boat. Although we plan to start out in the Caribbean, we didn't want to be limited and wanted a boat that could take us anywhere. Here is the short list we settled on (not in any particular order)!
1. FP Athena or Venezia
2. Privilege
3. Lagoon 380

As you will see by my signature, I didn't end up with a boat on my short list. Instead I ended up with a boat that I had never heard of. There was nothing wrong with any of the boats on my short list, but an opportunity came up that I couldn't pass up. This is an important lesson I learned while boat shopping. Right now its a buyers market and if you have the funds (LIQUID) and are ready to move, there are some fantastic deals. So I suggest you be flexible and take you time, but be ready to move when a deal comes up.

So with that suggestion.. Let me link a boat that I would have been interested in if it had come up while I was looking. There is NOT a ton of information about this brand, but I have been told they are well built and good sailers. The only downside I have ever heard is about the helm locations. Although its not only a downside, there are many advantages to having the helms located on the scoops, especially in the Caribbean.

1997 Nautitech 395 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2015, 09:27   #25

smj: To each there own. I have no problems with your opinions. We have been on the hook since we left Saugatuck, Lake Michigan eight years ago. We think we know what's what out here. Thanks for your help but we don't need it. You might direct your efforts to help the guy with his family of two kids spend his money wisely.
jamestholtzinge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2015, 10:09   #26
smj

Quote:
smj: To each there own. I have no problems with your opinions. We have been on the hook since we left Saugatuck, Lake Michigan eight years ago. We think we know what's what out here. Thanks for your help but we don't need it. You might direct your efforts to help the guy with his family of two kids spend his money wisely.

I have no problems with what you feel you need. I was trying to make a point that one doesn't have to spend all that money if they don't want to. I would start of simple and slowly install things after I figure I needed them. We have owned catamarans for over 23 years and lived aboard for 18 of those years and I find myself going to more of the simple side of things as I enjoy the sailing more than spending time repairing and maintaining. As I said, you have your needs and I mine yet neither of ours may match what the op needs or wants.
Old 19-03-2015, 10:25   #27

smj: I am really impressed with your age and experience in boating. I normally don't toot my own horn but since you mentioned your extreme experience. I will inform you I am a Master Captain, a US Merchant Marine Officer, a charter captain, and bought my boat new in 1986 and still own her and sail her. I am still not the person who asked the question and I don't give a _____ what you think, it's OK, enough all ready. I wish you Good sailing.
jamestholtzinge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2015, 11:18   #28
smj

Quote:
smj: I am really impressed with your age and experience in boating. I normally don't toot my own horn but since you mentioned your extreme experience. I will inform you I am a Master Captain, a US Merchant Marine Officer, a charter captain, and bought my boat new in 1986 and still own her and sail her. I am still not the person who asked the question and I don't give a _____ what you think, it's OK, enough all ready. I wish you Good sailing.

You're a mess
Old 19-03-2015, 15:04   #29

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Not to mention 13 posts at CF so far.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2015, 02:19   #30

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
You're a mess
No kidding, that guy needs to give it a break already......

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catamaran, family