Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-05-2012, 23:23   #1

Boat: building small boats at present
Talking China Moon?

Hi to all, I have been quiet for a while now, researching different multihull designs. While reading I have stumbled on to Annie Hills published work which I have really enjoyed. This has led me to an interest in Pete Hill and his work and thoughts on different craft he has built and sailed. I would appreciate any photo,s or links to have a look at his self designed and built catamaran CHINA MOON thanks in advance.
freelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2012, 03:32   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: china moon ?

See the story ➥ The Shipping News at TownDock.net

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2012, 03:48   #3

thank,s for that Gord but I have already read that and its images and info in regard to the cat he designed and built called CHINA MOON. any more info would be a real help cheers
Old 29-05-2012, 17:47   #4

Boat: Wharram Tiki 26
Re: China Moon?

Here, are some pictures from China Moon in Puerto del Buceo, Montevideo, Uruguay.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7.jpeg
Views:	1551
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	41622   Click image for larger version

Name:	9.jpeg
Views:	2055
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	41623  

Name:	10.jpeg
Views:	1222
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	41624   Click image for larger version

Name:	13.jpeg
Views:	854
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	41625  

Name:	15.jpg
Views:	1119
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	41626   Click image for larger version

Name:	22.jpg
Views:	1600
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	41627  

andres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2012, 03:20   #5

thanks for the help andres, it appears to be wharram influenced and looks quite sturdy. I must say I have a soft spot for the wharram cats and the history that they are based upon. Have you met Pete by chance?
Old 30-05-2012, 05:50   #6

Boat: Wharram Tiki 26

Yes I meet Pete two years ago, when he was in Puerto del Buceo in another trip with a junk scooner monohull (Freedom 33). A very nice man. I think he has been three times here, the first two with China Moon; the pictures are from the second trip. He do his first crossing of the Atlantic in a Wharram Tanenui, then he build a J. Benford monohull. I think that China Moon is a mixture with Wharram philosophy and Benford style.
andres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2012, 14:14   #7

Boat: Cal 2-27

This is my first post. I'll give a "proper" introduction tonight. Still at work! CF is perfect to read while working (am I working?). Yep, I'm not home! Anywhooooo...

Check out Pete Hill's new project. Can be found on the yahoo group. k-designs : K-designs: Multihull Sailboats
(you gotta sign up to get access. He is building a KD 860 Catamaran.

Here is his folder thing of the boat that Pete hill is building... http://groups.yahoo.com/group/k-desi...49533/pic/list
boatsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2012, 18:52   #8

There are 37 photos of China Moon posted in the photo section of the Yahoo Junkrig group. You have to join (free) to see the photos.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/junkri...19041/pic/list
ImaginaryNumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 04:19   #9

Thanks for the link to junk rigs,as for the k-designs link, I have looked at a lot of designers over the past couple of years,purchased study plans, spoken with the most famous of designers,and gained a substantial amount of knowledge in my search for the design that suits what I wish to build. In doing all this I have come to respect them all and really understand their concepts. Then I had the unfortunate experience of having the cheek to ask a simple question on the mentioned forum. I have always good things to say about the Woods,Wharram,Waller,Turner,Horstman, Holiday Multihulls,with their prompt and helpful service.Dealing with Bernd,well if you can,t say anything positive about a designer then don,t say anything at all...............
Old 01-06-2012, 13:26   #10

Boat: Cal 2-27

I actually bought plans for the KD 860 myself. Interesting boat. Once of the faster build times I would guess based on its simplicity in regards to design. I must admit that I would probably build the bridgedeck for standing headroom as that I feel is a great separator in cats. I would be willing to loose some speed and gain the windage disadvantage for the benefit at anchor and underway.
Old 04-06-2012, 22:27   #11

Boat: 38 ft junk rig catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by freelife View Post
thank,s for that Gord but I have already read that and its images and info in regard to the cat he designed and built called CHINA MOON. any more info would be a real help cheers
So I now own China Moon and she is in Tasmania
What do you need to know?
Simon.
chinamooninoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 03:45   #12

Sorry about the late response Simon, I have many questions but I won,t bombard you all at once. So how do you like the rig,how does she perform as a cruiser,what is the weight of the light boat and how many birth,s. I would love to hear back as I find the boat very interesting. If you look at my other post,s you will see where I am at. cheers from the mainland.
Old 11-06-2012, 23:27   #13

Just a quick thought while I compose a reply...
have you considered the designs of Gary Underwood (NZ) e.g. Shoestring and Footprints?
They may suit your need to be low budget while getting a robust cruising vessel
Simon
Old 15-06-2012, 14:44   #14

China Moon has undergone a few changes since the photos you have seen on this thread, but she remains essentially the same robust very capable cruising boat.
She now has a sitting height cuddy over the bridge deck and companionway hatches, and an instrument binnacle/table in the centre of the cockpit, with radar/plotter.
And I'm playing with a large laminated hoop over the area behind the cockpit to guide the sheets out of the cockpit.
She now has a matched pair of yanmar 30 HP diesels.
She has a new set of sails in blue acrylic canvas, and a new coat of paint.
(on the subject of paint: I tried to use a highly recommended single pack paving paint which was awful to apply, and gave poor coverage. Eventually I reverted to the two pack Jotun system that had previously been applied. This was easier to apply, no more expensive, and gave great coverage. I love it.)

The rig is quirky to the uninitiated, but very easy to use once understood.

Berths: 2 doubles installed, the captains cabin next to the nav station in the stbd hull, the other in the stern cabin behind the dining saloon in the port side, with provision for one (3rd) other double in the corresponding position stbd. The dining saloon has two comfy single berths. And there's plenty of deck space for sleeping mats/bags, and of course for a hammock between the masts.

The galley is superb, and she's a very comfortable boat to live on, not least because of the double skin with insulation between. She has plenty of storage, so its very easy to take too much stuff....

I always say that she is 4 tonnes dry, but I have not measured this.

What would I add, or change? not sure. I'm thinking about cambered sails with stiff rather than articulated battens, but these work so well that i think I can wait.
Old 05-07-2012, 02:18   #15

Hello Simon

Just saw your response regarding China Moon and have to say I think it looks to be a very interesting boat indeed, to say the least.

Now I'm sure you're totally wrapped in the boat but just wanted to register my interest in purchasing China Moon should your situation ever change.

I'd appreciate a private email if that may be a possibility within the next year or two...maybe three!

It would also be great to see some up-to-date pictures of the boat in Launceston and maybe hear the story of how you bought her in Annapolis and got her to Tasmania?

Congratulations on having such a great boat

Best wishes

Greg F
pindimarcat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
China, china