Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2016, 11:43   #1

Boat: Lagoon L400S2
Check out my new YouTube Channel

"Off the Starboard hull"
A video blog on getting ready to cruise around the world on a Catamaran
Scott Doran from Canada will be off soon to sail into the sunset.
Ya right, lots of work, adding to and maintaining.
Check it out and comment, go easy I'm new to video production
Cheers Scott

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Scottster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 13:03   #2

Boat: MacGregor 25 & Lagoon 42
Re: Check out my new YouTube Channel

Okay, I'll take a shot at commenting - although please remember that it is just one man's opinion.

First, if I want people to check out my YouTube channel, I'd post a link, to make it idiot proof that someone could find it.

The videos (yes, I watched all 4) are really nice, but to me it is checking out a Facebook page of someone I don't know - cool stuff, but I probably wouldn't go back - watching someone I don't know take a first stab at carving a turkey isn't my idea of a good Wednesday afternoon. You might want to consider doing voice-overs to give context - an excellent example of this is the video series Catchin' Rays did. The problem is that I don't know you, your first mate, your boat or anything - and 4 videos in, I still don't know you, your guests, or even where Roche Harbor is! If we were friends in real life, this would be a cool video series, because I could relate.

Your initial comment was that you made "A video blog on getting ready to cruise around the world on a Catamaran." I was expecting to see something that showed me the work you were doing/had done to your boat, your plans, and eventually, hopefully, take me along on the journey so I could live vicariously, and as an armchair sailor maybe learn a thing or two.

Don't get me wrong, I really did like the videos - I just want a reason to tune in and wait with baited breath for the next installment. I think you need to decide why you are making the videos, and who you want to watch them - then you will have some more focus, and give people who don't know you cause to want to.

Good luck and I look forward to seeing how it evolves.

-Peter
Timethief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 13:12   #3

Boat: Ohlson 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timethief View Post
First, if I want people to check out my YouTube channel, I'd post a link, to make it idiot proof that someone could find it.
OK, I'll be honest too: I read this post, and since there wasn't a link I just thought "fail ..." and moved on.

Even more honest: I usually skip topics / posts that are posted just to get people to read a blog or watch video's, but since I'm stuck on my boat (nasty fall, can barely walk so I'm a little bored ) I figured I might just watch some YT video's.

But if you're posting just to get page/video views, include the link! I'm not going to search for it ... It's like inviting someone over for coffee, but when they ask you for your address, you go 'I'm in the phone book' instead of just giving them your address
Old 02-03-2016, 13:29   #4

Boat: Bristol 45.5

Link link

Please

Regards

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
ColdEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 13:33   #5

Boat: Ohlson 29

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2Z...irIdP15VjrsI6g

Here you go, typhoon.

I just looked it up cos it hasn't been posted, I haven't watched the video's yet. Maybe later
Old 02-03-2016, 14:00   #6
Zeb

Boat: Seaward 25

I'll take a stab at giving some feedback.

First of all, making videos is like writing. You have to keep doing it. You will improve over time. Look back at some of the best sailing videographers out there and you'll see their early stuff was junk by comparison to their current stuff and most keep getting better.

I'll agree with the others that you want give the viewer some insight into who you are and how you arrived at cruising. Boating history. Sailing history. Your "path" to getting to where you are now.

Share the good and the bad. It's not all rainbows and cocktails. Be real.

Narration. A bit of narration is helpful, however, not completely narrated.

These are just my opinions. I think you are actually off to a pretty decent start.

Regards,
Zeb
Old 02-03-2016, 16:10   #7

Boat: Seawind 1160 Lite

Thanks for posting the link ,

have just subscribed , really like the combinations of the vlog editiing on video 4.

Looking forward to see the boat show vlog
Cheers
Andrew
Andrew Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 18:59   #8

What did you use to film the videos? There is quite a bit of distortion.
lindabarzini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 21:29   #9

Boat: Nicholson 26
Send a message via Skype™ to nic26

[QUOTE=Scottster;2061733]"Off the Starboard hull"
A video blog on getting ready to cruise around the world on a Catamaran
Scott Doran from Canada will be off soon to sail into the sunset.
Ya right, lots of work, adding to and maintaining.
Check it out and comment, go easy I'm new to video production
Cheers Scott

In my opinion the very first thing to find out and learn is to take videos and avoid to let anybody hear the wind in your mic. This puts me off immediately and is a mistake in 99% of all sailing videos. Its so simple to do and so effective when done.

Regarding the videos themselfs: I agree with some others here, I don't know why I should watch them.
nic26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 21:46   #10

Boat: LAGOON 400

[QUOTE=nic26;2062940]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottster View Post

In my opinion the very first thing to find out and learn is to take videos and avoid to let anybody hear the wind in your mic.

Well that is not true for everyone. I love sound of wind and hate sound of rock music or similar.

Link in my bookmarks. See you around.
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 01:17   #11

Boat: no boat any more

...it used to be that one could only COME BACK from a circumnavigation (as beating ones chest before ANYTHING was accomplished was thought 1. to be courting bad luck & 2. considered unacceptable bragging)...
not so these days..., I stand corrected
(probably this type of self-aggrandisement before anything is accomplished is necessary these days, as quite a large proportion of the CIRCUMNAVIGATORS-2-b will never make it around...)
(or maybe I'm just a grouchy getting-old man?)
double u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 03:11   #12

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by double u View Post
...it used to be that one could only COME BACK from a circumnavigation (as beating ones chest before ANYTHING was accomplished was thought 1. to be courting bad luck & 2. considered unacceptable bragging)...
(probably this type of self-aggrandisement before anything is accomplished is necessary these days, as quite a large proportion of the CIRCUMNAVIGATORS-2-b will never make it around...)
One reason is that years ago it was simply impossible to document & publish on the go.

some boat blogs / video blogs are fun to follow on their trip regardless of the outcome. These are mostly those that just want to go and have a good time.
Others not so much. often the ones that set out for that huge round the world super adventure and have a desire to be admired for what they will achieve (or not).

Coicidentally the boats of the fun type are often older and not super clean, and breakdowns / repairs are part of the challenge and fun.
Those of the boring type are often new and shiny, and breakdowns are something to complain about.
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 16:27   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by double u View Post
Pretty sure its grouchy old man syndrome. Although I enjoy Scott's videos, there are a great deal of things in this old world that seem to have gotten me more and more PO'ed these days. My wife attributes it to being a grumpy old bastard. I gues it catches up to us all sooner or later.
rallyman1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 13:29   #14

yep, subscribed to it a week ago, very nice video blog....... keep them coming !! great stuff , thankxxxx
alexxx is offline   Reply With Quote