Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-08-2017, 17:40   #2206

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
Re: Cheap Multis and Projects

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownoarsman View Post
With a fresh new price [emoji12] Though if it does have two new 25 hp outboards, certainly understandable!

I think this had two mods then: removed divider in berths to make it a large king, and one of the walkthroughs closed off and turned into an internal gasoline tank. Funnily enough, the sailboat listings advert shows the FL registration still, and I think the same dry lift it was on then too.
I wonder what top speed is with wide open throttle lol.
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 18:17   #2207

Boat: Formerly Pearson 28-1, now just a sailing dinghy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcesuenos View Post
I wonder what top speed is with wide open throttle lol.
If you're going to go to the trouble of installing a 25 gallon internal tank, I hope it's because you're running WOT all the time! [emoji38]

Edit: misremembered, it's only a 25 gallon tank.
brownoarsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 18:22   #2208

Boat: Shopping for a 30-ish cat

That cat is a good example of how not to upgrade a sailboat. Way too much engine and 50 gallon -internal gasoline- fuel tank (BOOM!). Completely defeats one of the biggest advantages of a cruising cat (fuel economy), and making it a ticking time bomb to boot. Shame, I bet it was a pretty nice little cat before this guy buggered it.
prof_mariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 19:51   #2209

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Quote:
Originally Posted by prof_mariner View Post
That cat is a good example of how not to upgrade a sailboat. Way too much engine and 50 gallon -internal gasoline- fuel tank (BOOM!). Completely defeats one of the biggest advantages of a cruising cat (fuel economy), and making it a ticking time bomb to boot. Shame, I bet it was a pretty nice little cat before this guy buggered it.
Why are you maligning gasoline as a fuel for boats. It can be used quite safely, & there are way, way more boats powered with it than with diesel.
Generally trouble only happens when people ignore the safety rules when using it. And honestly, propane is just as bad (dangerous). Yet it's pretty much the norm for fuel when it comes to cooking, & to some degree, heating.

Plus it's not as if you can't have a horrific fire with diesel. I've put more than a few of them out, & it wasn't what I'd call fun. Atomize enough of any fuel, or anything flamable, & it'll go boom. For example the dust in grain silos, sawdust at mills, or even coal dust when loading & unloading coal in bulk with machinery.
I've even done demonstrations of this with finely ground up bits of paper towels. And yes, it too goes boom. Even just a spoon full (literally) of it will do this.

The phenemenon isn't only limited to gasoline. And when pressurized/atomized liquid fuel of any sort catches fire, that's pretty much the definition of a flame thrower. Which is always "fun" to put out, if in fact, you can, before it ignites the entire structure.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 23:57   #2210

Quote:
Originally Posted by windhorze View Post
Sadly I didn't write a blog...but do have a bunch of slides buried somewhere...it was one of the biggest adventures I've ever had...I would say we burned up at least 3 cat lives...folks thought I was crazy to even consider it...luckily I have a very naive and gullible friend that has been game for adventures all over the world from El Capitan, to Iran Jaya to the Hamalayas...and for whatever reason, has always made it home...

I came up with this adventure, looked in the local Pennysaver and you would not believe, found a H18 that had been stashed away under a car port for ages, and not touched...nets...excellent shape...sails...very good shape...hull, rudders, bits and pieces all there...trailer...good enough...$400. Sold.

I putzed around and cleaned and sorted, replaced the deck hatches, went about learning how to sail the boat. Took it out about a dozen times for day sails and then off to Catalina from MDR. Fun, fun and more fun. Went about making a luggage rack forward of the mast between the hulls and devised a way to retrieve stuff stashed in the hulls. Off to San Felipe we went. Should have payed more attention to the trailer bearings, lesson learned.

So short story is, we cast off from the beach in San Felipe...my buddies girl friend drove my truck and trailer down Baja as we sailed down, and had their own adventure to write about. We had hoped to meet up in Puertocetos but were unable to get into the harbor and were stuck way out on the falling tide.

Onward we journeyed, and the next night I tried to get into this little bay on the backside of Isle El Muerto...lost the wind, and had not tried our little paddle (lesson learned, that little thing worked great), felt a bit exposed, so decided to head off shore...lenticular's were high in the sky to our east and come darkness we were getting hammered by a Il Torino, lightning was blasting all around and winds were crazy...how we didn't flip I don't know (one cat life down)...the next morning we dragged our asses up on the beach 10 miles south in Bufeo...

We were caught in one more storm sailing through the night, even worse conditions, the mast was like a noodle as I tried to keep up upright, pitch black, phosphorescence blazing and lighting up the nets, trails off the hulls and dolphin torpedos darting under the boat...unreal and unforgettable.

Other highlights were whales, a line of dolphins about a hundred wide directly in front of us and directly across our path, sharks cruising along beside us and going after our Dorado catches, caught Tuna, Dorado, and fish that just stripped us clean...

that's just a little to wet your appetite...
Thanks for sharing - great story!!!
You clearly had a blast. And just enough dangerous fun to know now you gotta be careful with how you spend the rest of those cat lives. It seems you definitely got hooked on multis!
sailorcherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 02:46   #2211

Boat: Shopping for a 30-ish cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
Why are you maligning gasoline as a fuel for boats. It can be used quite safely, & there are way, way more boats powered with it than with diesel.
Generally trouble only happens when people ignore the safety rules when using it. And honestly, propane is just as bad (dangerous). Yet it's pretty much the norm for fuel when it comes to cooking, & to some degree, heating.

Plus it's not as if you can't have a horrific fire with diesel. I've put more than a few of them out, & it wasn't what I'd call fun. Atomize enough of any fuel, or anything flamable, & it'll go boom. For example the dust in grain silos, sawdust at mills, or even coal dust when loading & unloading coal in bulk with machinery.
I've even done demonstrations of this with finely ground up bits of paper towels. And yes, it too goes boom. Even just a spoon full (literally) of it will do this.

The phenemenon isn't only limited to gasoline. And when pressurized/atomized liquid fuel of any sort catches fire, that's pretty much the definition of a flame thrower. Which is always "fun" to put out, if in fact, you can, before it ignites the entire structure.
You missed my point. My point was that this fellow took a moderate displacement, 25 foot cruising catamaran, that by most accounts sails fairly well, and tried to turn it into something it would never successfully be. By adding two huge (in relation to the boat's size and weight carrying ability) outboards and a 50 gallon tank, he succeeded in wasting money and nothing else.

The thing about gasoline and boats is that the installation must be done correctly. Proper ventilation and plumbing are critical. This boat was never intended to have a 50 gallon internal tank and I doubt any naval architect would recommend adding one to the design.

And yes, there are many ways of starting a fire on a boat (number one being faulty electrical systems). But retrofitting over sized outboards and internal fuel tanks on a small, cruising catamaran is just asking for trouble.

I, too, have some experience fighting fires: shipboard fires in the Navy and merchant service, and am currently a fire fighter with our local FD.
prof_mariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 04:30   #2212
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by prof_mariner View Post
You missed my point. My point was that this fellow took a moderate displacement, 25 foot cruising catamaran, that by most accounts sails fairly well, and tried to turn it into something it would never successfully be. By adding two huge (in relation to the boat's size and weight carrying ability) outboards and a 50 gallon tank, he succeeded in wasting money and nothing else.

The thing about gasoline and boats is that the installation must be done correctly. Proper ventilation and plumbing are critical. This boat was never intended to have a 50 gallon internal tank and I doubt any naval architect would recommend adding one to the design.

And yes, there are many ways of starting a fire on a boat (number one being faulty electrical systems). But retrofitting over sized outboards and internal fuel tanks on a small, cruising catamaran is just asking for trouble.

I, too, have some experience fighting fires: shipboard fires in the Navy and merchant service, and am currently a fire fighter with our local FD.

I don't think many people would think that the HT 26 is a great performing catamaran but the engine setup is way overkill. I'm pretty sure the Yamaha 9.9 ht would push her about as fast as she would go under power. They are extremely seaworthy little vessels though.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 07:27   #2213

Boat: Formerly Pearson 28-1, now just a sailing dinghy

There was a surfer in Hawaii who converted a dismasted hirondelle or heavenly twins into a power cruiser with two 50 hp outboards, but I can't find the link. He was reportedly very happy with its performance, but I think the moral is go all the way or don't bother.
brownoarsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 16:26   #2214

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:

Except with propane one can find almost nothing to legitimize the "fears" of it. I researched it years ago and posted here in CF. Bupkus.
Old 07-08-2017, 10:01   #2215

Boat: Boatless

Quote:
To which post are you referring?
The one by Issak
Jimske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 16:20   #2216
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Prout Quasar 50 $59k
http://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/67754
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2017, 20:38   #2217

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

38' Proa for sale in Malaysia.

2013 PROA 11.6 CUSTOM CUSTOM Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Somewhere there is a website showing the build of this boat, and I remember being impressed with the quality for a plywood boat.

Matt
Old 10-09-2017, 17:40   #2218

Cross. 50 50k Hawaii
1976 Cross Custom Cruising Trimaran Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Oddball 34 ft cat, 20k price might come down a lot more before it actually sells..California

https://sandiego.craigslist.org/ssd/...281090182.html

Crowther tempest 33ft in Alaska 15k
https://anchorage.craigslist.org/boa...267649856.html
purvisgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 00:14   #2219

Boat: Tinker Traveller...a dozen feet of bluewater awesomeness!

I think that catamaran used to live further up the coast in California. Half Moon Bay? If that's the same one, I hope the waterlogged plywood was removed and replaced. If anyone looks at that one, tap, tap, tap.
snort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 19:10   #2220

42' Cross on ebay, starting at $16k, no reserve.
50 hp diesel purrs, diesel genset purrs, fridge, freezer cold, radar works, 4 berths, room for 5, gorgeous interior.
Kentucky lake, at Buzzards marina.
multihuler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cheap, paracelle