Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2016, 12:02   #1711

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Re: Cheap Multis and Projects

Quote:
Originally Posted by clockwork orange View Post
I don't know how many 105s were built by Hunter, not many I expect as I believe they are now built by Catalina. To be honest I was fully expecting the hunter built one to be a lot better than the original builder but its not. Hopefully Catalina will do a better job. Geminis have always had lots of gelcoat cracking in the deck moldings while Catalina has a better than average record in this area so lets hope.
!000 + boats is a fantastic production run, the single reason for getting there is the dimensions, there are a few other cats in this under 35ft length class but most don't fit in a regular slip so cost of ownership is higher.The Gem hits the sweet spot.
So the Hunter deal is over and now Catalina has right to make Geminis?
Old 04-03-2016, 14:28   #1712

Yes, for some time now.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 15:04   #1713

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

OHH.
I guess I have been out of it for a while..........

Not seeing it here http://www.catalinayachts.com/ though.
Old 04-03-2016, 16:03   #1714

Boat: Tinker Traveller...a dozen feet of bluewater awesomeness!

This could be interesting: Trimaran - Searunner 40

Asking price is $13K US
snort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 18:37   #1715

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherise View Post
Steve, thank you, this is just what I was looking for!
My partner is in the same trade. This might be why you bought the boat, knowing you could strengthen a weakly built project?

We know how one can properly rebuild or reinforce but there is a line there where it just doesn't make sense. No doubt different for each restorer. It definitely sounds like you are doing an excellent job.

We agree with you about ob's. That 3200 for sale on the hard with two side by side looks ideal to me.
That passage you did surely had some nasty weather, what kind of wx did you have and did you and your crew feel safe as well as comfortable?
Do you think all gem models have the same hull thickness?
I totally believe the shotty quality of the boards. That Hunter for ya!
Speaking of them, that is the case I am hoping for with the Gems. Everyone knows the 80's hunters were of better build quality versus 90's to now. Would you say that is a good comparison go the 3000/3200s versus new model?
Oh and when we saw the Legacy we laughed so hard, that bridgedeck clearance, what were they thinking really???!!!

Thanks for sharing about the chainplates. This is exactly the kind of example we are looking for to help our friend beef up his 105.

Last question, you touched on it at the end. If I walked on a 3000's deck, cockpit, below, it would feel as flimsy (movement beneath) as a 105?

Again, Muchos Gracias!

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Cherise,
Yes , when you walk around on a 3000 and I'm sure the 32 and 3400 models you will find it springy but I don't think its a big deal, these are large areas without the benefit of significant curvature to stiffen them and you have to remember that any superfluous structure adds weight, the enemy of multihulls, you should not be expecting sidewalk type stiffness. That said I plan on adding an overhead console above the table with a post at the aft end that will stiffen the cabintop considerably. I don't know but I doubt that the hull thickness is much different through the series but I would hope that the 105s would be knitted fabrics, on mine fiber fraction is abysmal, extremely resin rich = poor workmanship and poor/absent QC. A single outboard works exceptionally well on these boats as long as you have remotes at the helm and it steers with the rudders, which is how they are set up, no need for two. That said I did have 2 for the delivery but only because I had no rig. The second motor was an identical Yamaha 9.9 but mounted outboard of the port rudder on a regular bracket and no remotes or steering, we used that on when we had longer stretches without maneuvering and the center one when in the canals and 70 odd locks we negotiated, both totally trouble free, I cant say enough good about these engines, the only true high thrust motors available that I know of. we only ran the two together a couple of times, not worthwhile imho. We did encounter several days when we wished we were not on the water, once on Georgian bay with 25 -30 on the nose and surprisingly large waves where we occaisionally got stopped dead but that motor was relentless. The boat itself was obviously twisting as there was an annoying squeak that I tracked down and cured by paring a little teak trim away where it was rubbing against another, we also took on water in both hulls that only happened in bad weather, I believe from poor prior repairs as mentioned before. Since repaired properly. The other bad weather was on Whitefish bay on Lake Superior. I have to laugh about the legacy, after 30 odd years of marketing the hell out of the virtues of the centerboards vs all the other cats with LAR keels and then they go with keels. Quite frankly I think keels make some sense on these boats even though performance will suffer because they don't know how to build boards and without significant structural work I would not beach my boat. I am in the process of reinforcing the bottom of my boat with longitudinal girders from the forward end of the stateroom and head to the entrance to the aft cabins and extended the bulkheads down to the hull where they would be on any other well engineered cat. The boat can now be lifted and blocked most anywhere. To do this you need to remove weight elsewhere which is pretty easy as there are lots of places where they added heavy items that contribute nothing to structure. One good thing I can say though is that almost the entire boat is accessible which is unusual, makes it a lot easier to work on.

Steve.
clockwork orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 08:39   #1716

Boat: dinghies and monohulls small and large

Quote:
Originally Posted by clockwork orange View Post
Cherise,
Yes , when you walk around on a 3000 and I'm sure the 32 and 3400 models you will find it springy but I don't think its a big deal, these are large areas without the benefit of significant curvature to stiffen them and you have to remember that any superfluous structure adds weight, the enemy of multihulls, you should not be expecting sidewalk type stiffness. That said I plan on adding an overhead console above the table with a post at the aft end that will stiffen the cabintop considerably. I don't know but I doubt that the hull thickness is much different through the series but I would hope that the 105s would be knitted fabrics, on mine fiber fraction is abysmal, extremely resin rich = poor workmanship and poor/absent QC. A single outboard works exceptionally well on these boats as long as you have remotes at the helm and it steers with the rudders, which is how they are set up, no need for two. That said I did have 2 for the delivery but only because I had no rig. The second motor was an identical Yamaha 9.9 but mounted outboard of the port rudder on a regular bracket and no remotes or steering, we used that on when we had longer stretches without maneuvering and the center one when in the canals and 70 odd locks we negotiated, both totally trouble free, I cant say enough good about these engines, the only true high thrust motors available that I know of. we only ran the two together a couple of times, not worthwhile imho. We did encounter several days when we wished we were not on the water, once on Georgian bay with 25 -30 on the nose and surprisingly large waves where we occaisionally got stopped dead but that motor was relentless. The boat itself was obviously twisting as there was an annoying squeak that I tracked down and cured by paring a little teak trim away where it was rubbing against another, we also took on water in both hulls that only happened in bad weather, I believe from poor prior repairs as mentioned before. Since repaired properly. The other bad weather was on Whitefish bay on Lake Superior. I have to laugh about the legacy, after 30 odd years of marketing the hell out of the virtues of the centerboards vs all the other cats with LAR keels and then they go with keels. Quite frankly I think keels make some sense on these boats even though performance will suffer because they don't know how to build boards and without significant structural work I would not beach my boat. I am in the process of reinforcing the bottom of my boat with longitudinal girders from the forward end of the stateroom and head to the entrance to the aft cabins and extended the bulkheads down to the hull where they would be on any other well engineered cat. The boat can now be lifted and blocked most anywhere. To do this you need to remove weight elsewhere which is pretty easy as there are lots of places where they added heavy items that contribute nothing to structure. One good thing I can say though is that almost the entire boat is accessible which is unusual, makes it a lot easier to work on.

Steve.
You rock, thanks Steve.
It is these kinds of post, very well written with a lot of details, that are so very helpful!!!

I have been on Georgian Bay as a kid, from growing up North. Experiencing locks, the tall ones, as a little one was a really cool, a mezmerizing experience, as if in a scene from Star Wars or a ride at a theme park. The lakes certainly can get ocean-like heavy weather. Gorgeous country up there. The great loop is on my radar for one day just for the lakes and bays in your parts. Do you have a blog or any threads with photos from your trip? Id love to see them.

You will certainly have one stout gem when you are done. Perhaps you should write Catalina and tell em how make them right!

Due to my health I see a small cat in my future, or a large tri. The Prout Quests have been on my list, and cross/horstman tris over 40'. Have you owned or worked on any of them? Opinions?

Cherise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 08:46   #1717

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherise View Post
You rock, thanks Steve.
It is these kinds of post, very well written with a lot of details, that are so very helpful!!!

I have been on Georgian Bay as a kid, from growing up North. Experiencing locks, the tall ones, as a little one was a really cool, a mezmerizing experience, as if in a scene from Star Wars or a ride at a theme park. The lakes certainly can get ocean-like heavy weather. Gorgeous country up there. The great loop is on my radar for one day just for the lakes and bays in your parts. Do you have a blog or any threads with photos from your trip? Id love to see them.

You will certainly have one stout gem when you are done. Perhaps you should write Catalina and tell em how make them right!

Due to my health I see a small cat in my future, or a large tri. The Prout Quests have been on my list, and cross/horstman tris over 40'. Have you owned or worked on any of them? Opinions?

Cherise, I would be happy to talk boats with you but I'm not a fast typer so it is tedious, but if you would like to pm me with your phone # I would call you back and answer everything you need to know, phone works better for me as I can multitask. I have sailed on a Tri star 35 and came close to buying a foam 39 a few years ago.

Steve.
clockwork orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 08:59   #1718

Boat: dinghies and monohulls small and large

Right on, will do

Cherise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 06:29   #1719

Boat: 32" Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
WOW. A 38' cat for only $1500. It does have issues.
38' Catamaran
Do you know if this boat still available? If so where can I see pictures and more info???
SMD
Self-Indulge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 10:24   #1720

This is a custom built one for sale in the Florida Keys for $12,000
Kgaraffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 11:39   #1721

31' TRIMARAN

This one is a perennial craigslist fave.
Remember how 60 is the new 40?
Just remember that "piss poor" is the new "fair", as far as assessing condition these days.

Old 12-03-2016, 11:50   #1722

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

That one ought to be in the Joke Thread.

31 ' Piver Trimaran - $500.00 (Goleta, CA)
I have a 31 foot Piver Trimaran Sailboat. It is on a ranch in Goleta. I will sell it to the person who makes the best offer. If a person wants to keep the boat on the ranch for a short period of time, the charge would be $5.00 per day paid up front. A deposit would be required if the boat is going to stay on the ranch for a longer period of time. Title (a bill of sale) will be given when the boat is leaving the ranch. I will not respond to e-mails so you must leave your phone number. What is your story: i.e., your plans for the boat, when it could be moved, can you afford to move it, etc.? The boat should be able to go into the water without too much preparation. Moving the boat will be the responsibility of the new owner. Be patient in my response time to you unless there is an urgent matter with you or the fact that you could move the boat immediately. Serious inquiries only and no looky--loos. I really do not have a lot of extra time to devote to this opportunity and cannot provide you with any more pictures than what may be posted. Thanks for your interest, Fred

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 12:44   #1723

Quote:
Title (a bill of sale)
might be a good deal if the plywood is sound BUT the owner seems mental.
Funny how the people that seem so worried about getting ripped off are planing to do it to you.
mike
mkriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 13:07   #1724

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
That one ought to be in the Joke Thread.

31 ' Piver Trimaran - $500.00 (Goleta, CA)
I have a 31 foot Piver Trimaran Sailboat. It is on a ranch in Goleta.Oooh! Tell me about the ranch!

I will sell it to the person who makes the best offer.
Would this involve me getting my knees dirty? I don't know....you standing a little too close?

If a person wants to keep the boat on the ranch for a short period of time, the charge would be $5.00 per day paid up front.
Can I move onto the boat, if I decide to keep the boat on the ranch for that same price?

A deposit would be required if the boat is going to stay on the ranch for a longer period of time. Title (a bill of sale) will be given when the boat is leaving the ranch.
Is the paper the Title is written on in "fair" condition too?

I will not respond to e-mails so you must leave your phone number. What is your story:
Well, I grew up a bit slower than the rest. Got rid of the helmet when I reached 6th grade (I was 18 at the time). Always had a boat with me in the bathtub

i.e., your plans for the boat, when it could be moved, can you afford to move it, etc.?
The boat should be able to go into the water without too much preparation.
That's really good to know! I thought sailboats usually had the tall thingy with the big white sails attached to make them move. I'm glad this one isn't like that and can be launched without too much preparation.

Moving the boat will be the responsibility of the new owner.
Is it on a hill where it can be pushed into the water?
Be patient in my response time to you unless there is an urgent matter with you or the fact that you could move the boat immediately. Serious inquiries only and no looky--loos.
Oh, I don't want to look at it, I just want to sail it.

I really do not have a lot of extra time to devote to this opportunity and cannot provide you with any more pictures than what may be posted.
I understand. I had a camera like that once too. You take like 20 pictures and that's all you get. Living on a ranch in SoCal probably means you can't afford to buy anything better, camera-wise

Thanks for your interest, Fred
No! Thank you!!!
Old 13-03-2016, 06:43   #1725

How did it get there? Where is the mast? Any bet that the interior is in worse shape than the exterior?

If I was in LA, I might go take a look at it, but he won't allow it. I wonder why?

If the wood is still good, getting it painted shouldn't be too difficult. I think it would look a lot better just by doing that. There might be bigger issues though.
SunDevil is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cheap, paracelle