Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-02-2015, 12:46   #1306
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Re: Cheap Multis and Projects

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellerw View Post
Someone was trying to sell another Wildcat about 3 months ago with the exact same problem. Also, if you are familiar with Bumfuzzle, they had delamination issues when their boat was only a couple years old. It definately seems to be an issue with these boats.

I beleive the core on these boats is foam..

It would be interesting to know the extent of the intrusion.. At $50K its pretty damn cheap.

All balsa core. I'm sure all their boats aren't bad but there's been enough bad ones to seriously affect resale values. To me the craftsmanship was always a little shoddy.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2015, 12:51   #1307

Boat: Tinker Traveller...a dozen feet of bluewater awesomeness!

AJ, you need to start writing reviews about all the catamaran types you've owned and sailed. I'd pay for that knowledge!
snort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2015, 12:57   #1308
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by snort View Post
AJ, you need to start writing reviews about all the catamaran types you've owned and sailed. I'd paid for that knowledge!

My wife tells me I have a sickness. I tell her it could be worse, like women instead of multis!
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2015, 13:41   #1309

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
All balsa core. I'm sure all their boats aren't bad but there's been enough bad ones to seriously affect resale values. To me the craftsmanship was always a little shoddy.
Thanks for clarifying.. I guessed foam core as the last one up for sale had a big ol roll of foam core in plain sight in the pictures.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 10:46   #1310

Boat: 31' Corsair/Farrier(RIP) trimaran. Lauwersmeer Cruiser in Europe canals. 19' Lightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdazey View Post
Some of you may not know Invictus. It was at one time the fastest sailboat on the Northwest/Puget Sound. It's a Transpac veteran. The Northwest Multihull Association had a challenge trophy for the fast boat (not just multi) named the Invictus Trophy.

My wife and I are headed out to look at it this afternoon. We've helped Larry race the boat and know it can sail very well. We've also been around long enough to know that sometimes the worst thing a guy can do to you is give you a free boat.

Joe
This is an early 1960's performance multihull and, as was said before, it was THE fastest sail boat in the 1960s and 1970s on Puget Sound. The Northwest Multihull Association had its monthly potluck/meeting last night and Invictus was discussed quite a bit. It is fast in light winds but at 10 or 12 knots TWS it just takes off. One or two were present who helped sail her to her current location in 2013. Consensus was that it is not in bad shape at all but you will be camping in it till you get around to building out the interior. More importantly, it is an important bit of history in our local multihull scene and it must be saved. Trouble is none of us present are of the age or inclination to do so. We must find someone to step up and save this unique, early performance multi. And if someone does please contact our club so we can keep tabs on it. Also a potential buyer can get the inside scoop from those very familiar with this boat. See post 1302 for the pics. It seems that it is off of Craigs List in Seattle but the club can find the contact number if anyone is still interested.
ejlindahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 11:14   #1311

Boat: Chris White Voyager 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejlindahl View Post
This is an early 1960's performance multihull and, as was said before, it was THE fastest sail boat in the 1960s and 1970s on Puget Sound. The Northwest Multihull Association had its monthly potluck/meeting last night and Invictus was discussed quite a bit. It is fast in light winds but at 10 or 12 knots TWS it just takes off. One or two were present who helped sail her to her current location in 2013. Consensus was that it is not in bad shape at all but you will be camping in it till you get around to building out the interior. More importantly, it is an important bit of history in our local multihull scene and it must be saved. Trouble is none of us present are of the age or inclination to do so. We must find someone to step up and save this unique, early performance multi. And if someone does please contact our club so we can keep tabs on it. Also a potential buyer can get the inside scoop from those very familiar with this boat. See post 1302 for the pics. It seems that it is off of Craigs List in Seattle but the club can find the contact number if anyone is still interested.
Sue and I decided to pass on Invictus, not because it lacks potential or has major problems, it's just a bigger project than we want to take on despite a strong sentimental attachment to her. As ejlindahl mentions, it has basically no interior. Some of the windows could use resealing/new H rubber. The outboard well was never that satisfactory. There are a few places where the fiberglass could use some touchup. The backing under the genoa tracks is soft (but not, I think, the deck). The running rigging could use a run through the washing machine. The hulls, cross arms, deck, and standing rigging seem fine. It has a large sail inventory. I was told the boat was last sailed in 2013, so it should be usable with very little work. Restoring/converting it to the boat Sue and I are looking for would take more time and money than at our age we're willing to commit. Having said that, it's far too much boat to head to the scrap pile. There have been offers, the largest I've heard is $2000, but there may be more by now.

Response by the seller to inquires via Craigslist has been spotty. I have direct contact info (and I expect ejlindahl does as well) I can send to anyone interested. My wife also took some cell phone pictures we can forward.

And thanks to this nudge from ejlindahl, I'll get off my butt and rejoin NWMA.

Cheers,
Joe
jdazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 11:16   #1312

I see the ad for Invictus is back up on Craigslist:

41' TRIMARAN

Joe
Old 04-03-2015, 16:43   #1313

When I posted that Craigslist ad about Invictus, I thought I had heard the name before, but wasn't sure from where.

Funny how I keep running across boats from the Pacific Northwest. 15 years ago (more or less) I went up to Seattle to look at a Horstman 38 that was for sale, I think it was called Puffin maybe???

My current boat is a Searunner 37 (ex. WILD ROSE) built by Al Lundell in Tacoma WA. He was or hopefully still is a member of The Northwest Multihull Association. Onboard, I found some old articles from your newsletter about Al's adventures sailing the boat to Alaska and San Francisco. In one of the articles he talks about stopping to visit that same Horstman I had looked at in Seattle...both boats had just been built.

Sounds like someone will get a good deal with Invictus. It would be fun to keep it bare, update the rig, and run it in some So. Cal. races...
Old 04-03-2015, 17:12   #1314

Puffin was built by Bob and Marilyn Braggins. Nice boat. We had a great community of liveaboard multis in Lake Union during the 70s and 80s. Lots of people were building boats then. A fair number went cruising. Al Lundelll had a flying boat as well. He called it a flying trimaran. I hope his boat is holding up for you.

Invictus would probably work best as a rejuvenated racer. It would be possible to convert it to a cruiser, but it would take some work. It sure was fun to sail.

It's probably obvious that Sue and I are looking for another multi. We like tris just fine although they're hard to find, and we considering cats. It's getting to be time to cruise rather than fish.

Joe
Old 07-03-2015, 18:07   #1315

Boat: Tinker Traveller...a dozen feet of bluewater awesomeness!

Here's one for Wharram fans. This looks to be in pretty good condition too.
If you likes creamsicles, you're really in for a treat!

2008 Wharram Tanenui Boat For Sale in Goodland, FL

snort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 16:57   #1316

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snort View Post
Here's one for Wharram fans. This looks to be in pretty good condition too.
If you likes creamsicles, you're really in for a treat!

2008 Wharram Tanenui Boat For Sale in Goodland, FL

Having to create an account just to look at the ad is BS.
Old 08-03-2015, 17:35   #1317

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
Having to create an account just to look at the ad is BS.
Yup people don't get it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 08-03-2015, 23:21   #1318

Account ? Not here, link opened straight into ad.
Redreuben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 01:09   #1319

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redreuben View Post
Account ? Not here, link opened straight into ad.
No account?
You can view:
Ad yes -
Pictures no -

I created an account there a while back and if you wish to admire the latest and greatest in retargeting and automated emails - enjoy.
Sondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 01:16   #1320

The link totally works for me, full information and all the pictures.
I have no account.
Why would an advertiser make it difficult ?
Some personal computer glitch I would say.
Redreuben is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cheap, paracelle