Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-08-2014, 03:56   #1096

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'
Re: Cheap Multis and Projects

I think I saw that wingsail boat on the cover of Popular Mechanics.
ArtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2014, 13:24   #1097

Yes it seems like it would be a nightmare to deal with if/when all the electronics went out. I don't know how the weight compare to a conventional rig, but it looks awfully heavy.

Here's a Contour 50 dripping with all the stuff that sold for $309,000.00:
Trimaran 2002 Contour C50 Trimaran For Sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by snort View Post
Just wondering how easy it would be to de-power this type of sail when you have to do so in a hurry.
magentawave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2014, 06:58   #1098

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntiqueTri View Post
Well $78,000 isn't quite what I consider cheap, but it you got the cash to splash it could still be a bargain.

While I would consider $78K cheap for that boat, When I posted the link it was at $50 or so. Still a bargain if you ask me.

Tom
Tscott8201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2014, 13:52   #1099

36' Podcat for $35,000 in Santa Barbara. What a fun bare-bones cruiser she would be! Probably handles like a good surfboard in the ocean swells.

36' Catamaran

Old 29-08-2014, 08:01   #1100

Boat: Custom 36' folding sailing cat

Yup. If I didn't already have Cat2Fold, I'd be seriously looking at that podcat!

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
solarbri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2014, 08:46   #1101

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Here's a 65' cat for free. I wonder if it is that one posted here earlier that needed a ton of work. There was a pic of the owner looking wistfully through the windows probably thinking of better days.
PROJECT : 65' Catamaran for FREE - Huge live aboard/rent potential

Me thinks this one might be ready to join that boat graveyard in the sky.
Old 29-08-2014, 10:24   #1102

I should have mentioned this when I made the post about the Podcat for sale, but be sure to check out the video because there is some very cool history mentioned and photos of Herreshoff's catamarans at the beginning of it.
Old 02-09-2014, 09:17   #1103

Boat: 31' Corsair/Farrier(RIP) trimaran. Lauwersmeer Cruiser in Europe canals. 19' Lightning

i happened to come upon this flicker link to a wingsail boat that looks a lot like that contour 50. Its name is Harborwing x-2. https://www.flickr.com/photos/basili...7628104639679/
ejlindahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 10:06   #1104

Boat: 31' Corsair/Farrier(RIP) trimaran. Lauwersmeer Cruiser in Europe canals. 19' Lightning

I don't want to hijack this great thread but there was a bit of interest on this wingsail Contour 50 so I dug a little deeper and found this email that a friend sent me some time ago. He's a retired Boeing aeronautical engineer and worked on the Oracle's wingsail. He calls this boat a Condor 50, but it looks like he's talking about the same vessel:

" there's the Harborwing X2 prototype: https://www.flickr.com/photos/basili...7628104639679/. Mark Ott has also worked with Morelli & Melvin on the conceptual design of a cruising wingsail powered catamaran: Harbor Wing Technologies - Autonomous Unmanned Surface Vessel - Commercial Applications.

I had a chance to visit with Mark Ott onboard the Harborwing X2 when it was in San Diego, tied up to the Scripps Flip. It is a modified Condor 50 trimaran, and it's capable of operating offshore. At the time, Mark was looking to do some voyages to show the offshore capability, and was trying to find the funding to continue the boat's development. There was a lot of the interior taken up by the mounting structure of the cantilevered wing, but that's to be expected with a prototype. I think a purpose-designed boat wouldn't sacrifice as much to the rig. But it is really important that the wing have very good bearings and a support structure that won't bind up when it flexes or be subject to fatigue failure.

Both boats use an aerodynamically controlled wingsail. Jenkins' tail is an innovative application of an aircraft configuration in which boom-mounted tails extend the span of the wing for reduced drag. (Unfortunately, I can't find the reference just now). The twin tails of the Harborwing configuration avoid the problem with "hunting" at low angles of attack, when the wake of the wing can affect the ability of the tail to precisely control the wing near zero lift, as when the wing is feathered when moored. Harborwing's X1 prototype, a modified cruising cat, discovered that even though a wing can be feathered to produce zero net lift when moored, wind shear could still generate a dangerous heeling moment. That was the genesis of their split wing approach, in which the upper and lower halves can move independently to control heeling moment as well as lift.

My experience with an aerodynamically controlled landyacht rig showed the rig was quite good a gust load alleviation and was better than my manual wing-trimming skills when sailing in light, shifty winds.

I think there's a lot of potential for aerodynamically controlled wing rigs on cruising boats. The really big question is how well they work under extreme conditions. In principal, a wing can be feathered to produce less drag than bare poles. But whether or not the wing will respond quickly enough in gusty conditions, or be affected by motion in a heavy seaway, will determine if wingsails are safe for use offshore."

Cheers
ejlindahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 11:10   #1105

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejlindahl View Post
i happened to come upon this flicker link to a wingsail boat that looks a lot like that contour 50. Its name is Harborwing x-2. https://www.flickr.com/photos/basili...7628104639679/
Wow. Intersting to say the least. I'd imagine it may be a bit more efficient as a wind foil when close hauled but I can't imagine it'd be effective at all in a run. Then again I'm still a novice in this world. Certainly not my cup of tea based purely on looks.

Cheers,

Sam

The Macs
SkipperMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 12:59   #1106

Unless the Navy (or Scripps) had more than one Contour tri, I'm pretty sure thats the same boat because the location shown in the photo is where I used to check it out while paddling on a sup in San Diego harbor a couple years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejlindahl View Post
Old 02-09-2014, 13:17   #1107

The wing on the Contour looks similar to the Walker wing sail that was used on the Planesail trimarans. I remember they advertised heavily in Multihulls Magazine back in the 90's. Here is a little video of the history and more about them here, here, here, and here.

Planesail trimarans:
Old 10-09-2014, 05:43   #1108

36' rudy choy cat in vancouver bc Project. No price listed

I looked at this boat a few years? ago when the previous owners had it for sale. It has been repossessed and might be cheap now, though I have a feeling the new owner wants a little too much for what it is. They started to put a big huge cabin on it but not glued on yet, hasn't been totally ruined.

36' RUDY CHOY CATAMARAN "Toru"

It's a bit too much of a project for me but would love to see it sail again so I'm posting it here
purvisgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 21:05   #1109

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Its not a multi, but a project..

This one definitely has potential..

1975 Westsail 42 Ketch Bullet Proof Ocean Cruiser Nyack NY | eBay
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 22:07   #1110

Eeeuuuw Westsail.

There was a 33 of that years ago that spent about 4 days off Cape Leeuwin sailing backwards and forwards till he turned downwind back to Fremantle and sold it.

I remember it on the hardstand, an avocado with a keel.

apologies to any Westsail owners, mho.
Redreuben is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cheap, paracelle