Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-04-2013, 15:59   #271

Boat: Boatless
Re: Cheap Multis and Projects

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
SHeeeittt.

That one looks reallllyyyy nice.
Yeah, does look nice. How come nobody mentioned mine or Jim's boat?

NEMA Members Classified
Jimske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2013, 18:19   #272

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimske View Post
Yeah, does look nice. How come nobody mentioned mine or Jim's boat?

NEMA Members Classified

Well. there ya go. Anyone feel free to peddle their own boat here. If the mods don't care then i don't. I feel I'm providing a public service.
Old 22-04-2013, 12:53   #273

Boat: Searunner Trimaran 25

West Seattle Blog… » Sailboat saga: Day 4 off Beach Drive for troubled trimaran

Not sure if anyone posted this. This was a free tri in Seattle that melted apart when removed from the dock
slowbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2013, 15:20   #274

Boat: Cross 38' trimaran

Anyone in the Corpus Cristi, TX area that would be willing to check out this tri...??

33 ft piver Trimaran sailboat

Steve in Sonoma, land-locked and needing to get into a tri......
stevelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2013, 16:04   #275

Boat: Hedley Nicol Vagabond MK2, 37'

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbat View Post
West Seattle Blog… » Sailboat saga: Day 4 off Beach Drive for troubled trimaran

Not sure if anyone posted this. This was a free tri in Seattle that melted apart when removed from the dock
I talked to the owner when the ad was posted but he wouldn't let me survey it. He wanted to get someone to agree to take the boat then look it over ....The chine on the one ama sounded pretty far gone it was being "repaired". He's a very old guy who cut quite a few corners in materials and changed some structural elements despite Jim Brown's efforts. I've seen a lot of "smart" old guys out smart themselves saving a buck. The mast was a round extrusion that had been squashed into an oval.....

Much of value had been stripped for sale, what was left sounded like junk. He was talking of getting it to the Foss yard to cut up. His timelines for moving back then put it in the way of winter storms so I'm not surprised it ended on the beach, it seems that is where it was wanted. The sad story is it never went anywhere and was never finished, a caution for those who want to build but have never built anything.
Cavalier MK2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2013, 16:24   #276

Boat: Searunner Trimaran 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalier MK2 View Post
The sad story is it never went anywhere and was never finished, a caution for those who want to build but have never built anything.
So true, the ad he had posted made me sad, "My dream boat I was building" It really did looked like hell down at the marina and not worth the salvage then. I'm glad no one was injured, sounds like a case of several bad luck players.
slowbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2013, 22:30   #277

I think what needs mention to those that want to build your dream boat go for it.

But remember you paid a lot of money for the plans. Before you make a design change discuss it with the designer and get his approval.

Remember do not over build them. If it calls for 1/4 inch don't user 1/2 inch. Arthur Piver your not adding 16.oz you adding 16.to the power of 3.
searunner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2013, 06:29   #278

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevelf View Post
Anyone in the Corpus Cristi, TX area that would be willing to check out this tri...??

Interesting. My suggestion is to first get a statement from the seller as to his knowledge about the structural integrity in writing. In real estate we call this a disclosure statement. No guarantee but it's not as easy as one might think to lie about stuff. If you feel the boat doesn't need major overhaul and/or rot repair then pay for a survey.

After that you should have a good idea if it is worthwhile. You got to ask yourself whether you want a boat to work on before able to sail or sail WHILE you work on it. Acceptable realistic time/money questions should help decision making.

J
Old 23-04-2013, 06:35   #279

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevelf View Post

From my experience sailing a Searunner 31 looking at this boat it seems to may be be too heavy for good performance and may not tack very well due to excess windage topside - even with a deep centerboard if it has one.

Get opinions from other Piver people.

J
Old 23-04-2013, 07:56   #280

Quote:
Originally Posted by searunner31 View Post
I think what needs mention to those that want to build your dream boat go for it.

But remember you paid a lot of money for the plans. Before you make a design change discuss it with the designer and get his approval.

Remember do not over build them. If it calls for 1/4 inch don't user 1/2 inch. Arthur Piver your not adding 16.oz you adding 16.to the power of 3.
I'd add not to compromise on the quality of your materials. The best work can't make up for lesser material. The main thing on building is to learn to complete in a timely manner. Experience really pays so build the dink first and treat every project as practice and you're skills and speed will accumulate.

In the boat in question, the Brown pre searunner, much effort was spent in substituting "better deals" for the specified materials. A boat so compromised isn't worth finishing or sailing. Friends asked me to check the boat out but I steered them clear when the survey first didn't happen. The reality of "passing on the dream" can be translated in some cases as "ditching the nightmare".

This "free boat" had the things necessary to render it usable removed but offered for sale with it. It is understandable for a builder to try and recoup some costs on a failed project but responsibility should be there too.At some point here a light bulb went off and the builder skipped breaking the boat up because he could give the dream, and chore away.

When I cut up the Searunner 31, 3 people had already damaged their finances and broken their hearts over it. It really was removing a hazard to navigation in many ways and a interesting spring project to salvage the usable items. So look at these things carefully before you get started.
Old 23-04-2013, 08:02   #281

The Piver looks like a Herald. The plans are available from the Mariners Museum in Newport News, Virginia. I'd get a copy for the survey to see how far the structure and scantlings are from what was designed. In its favor it isn't floating low like a heavy one would and the primary cabin change is the doghouse before the mast.
Old 26-04-2013, 15:47   #282

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Or you could just go into the Contour 34 business.
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Contour-34-Tr...7&pt=Sailboats
Old 27-04-2013, 08:10   #283

The Piver at $5,500 doesn't have to point well and it looks like at is nicely built. My first two trimarans were Pivers and I had more fun than my more expensive,high performance trimarans. Don't get me wrong I still like my 25 knot trimaran, it just cost over 10 times more and I am not having 10 times the fun!
multihuler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2013, 09:18   #284

Good point, was out on my piver encore on a broad reach she hit 15knts and it was so much fun and once you find there sweat spot you just sit back and enjoy. Didnt even spill my full cup of coffee i left down below.
searunner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2013, 10:18   #285
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

15 knots huh? you sound like Piver himself. must have been coming down a large wave at the time.

Tags
cheap, paracelle