Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-04-2013, 17:28   #241
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat
Re: Cheap Multis and Projects

As an aside,

It's generally assumed you will only enter a life raft from a positive buoyancy multihull when the boat is inverted. in this case, you can "moor" the raft between the hulls assuming sea conditions are not too wild.

In the case of an upright boat you would generally attempt to make repairs, etc. I can see a good case for cutting the raft loose if you felt you HAD to get into it as spreaders, stanchions, etc could hole the raft.

Certainly there have been many souls lost in homebuilt tris over the years. I just found a sports illustrated article written when Piver was recenltly missing. there had been 13 deaths in 2 years!

surely quite a few folks died in car wrecks around then also.
Old 16-04-2013, 17:39   #242

Boat: JIm Brown Searunner 40'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
sorry, where's the next cheap multi projects?
Moon Dog, Jim Brown custom design, 45' for $9,500.......key word Jim brown at Yacht world.
Doggone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2013, 18:01   #243
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 1984 Catalina 22, 2005 Carolina Skiff 24, 1989 BW Outrage 19, BW SS 15

Quote:
Guess you don't want to see me angry. Thought ignorance was a polite technical term and not an attack.

anyhow, not sure why anyone would want to attack the boats that are the entire basis of this thread outright?
Why? Because there are a lot of us "ignorant" people on the forum that might be tempted into thinking a "cheap multi or project" might actually be a good value. In the vast majority of cases the present owner has figured out the project isn't worth putting any more money into. I'm sure there are rare exceptions and I am sure there are examples of pristine, beautifully made custom home builts. But they won't come cheap. People that have a respect for such an item don't usually let them fall into disrepair.

What exactly do you mean by "I've been on dozens of well built wooden multihulls and most were in bad shape"?

Since you haven't got a clue what my boat looks like, or how I maintain it (other than the contrary information that I owned one of the world's best maintained airplanes) on what basis are you making the judgement that my boat will probably sink based on its poor maintenance and that I will then want to sue (the now bankrupt) manufacturer?

Wood usually floats. Sometimes when you splinter wood into pieces and strap a diesel engine to it, it sinks. According to the eyewitness report of the owner, and the son's verbal report to me, this Cross sank. Otherwise he probably would have been tempted to stay on it as he had no water and there was probably water on the boat somewhere. Probably parts of it floated. Not only did it sink, but it sank or at least submerged so quickly it caused a sailor with thousands of hours of blue water experience to panic.

From my (biased from personal experience) perspective, I am not going to go offshore in a home built boat. I've just been around a very few of them, and one almost killed my friend's father.

Azul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2013, 18:54   #244
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azul View Post

Why? Because there are a lot of us "ignorant" people on the forum that might be tempted into thinking a "cheap multi or project" might actually be a good value. In the vast majority of cases the present owner has figured out the project isn't worth putting any more money into. I'm sure there are rare exceptions and I am sure there are examples of pristine, beautifully made custom home builts. But they won't come cheap. People that have a respect for such an item don't usually let them fall into disrepair.

What exactly do you mean by "I've been on dozens of well built wooden multihulls and most were in bad shape"?

Since you haven't got a clue what my boat looks like, or how I maintain it (other than the contrary information that I owned one of the world's best maintained airplanes) on what basis are you making the judgement that my boat will probably sink based on its poor maintenance and that I will then want to sue (the now bankrupt) manufacturer?

Wood usually floats. Sometimes when you splinter wood into pieces and strap a diesel engine to it, it sinks. According to the eyewitness report of the owner, and the son's verbal report to me, this Cross sank. Otherwise he probably would have been tempted to stay on it as he had no water and there was probably water on the boat somewhere. Probably parts of it floated. Not only did it sink, but it sank or at least submerged so quickly it caused a sailor with thousands of hours of blue water experience to panic.

From my (biased from personal experience) perspective, I am not going to go offshore in a home built boat. I've just been around a very few of them, and one almost killed my friend's father.

Quote: Exhausted, he climbed into the liferaft and spent the night bailing, throwing up seawater and shivering. The following morning, it was much calmer. Brake read the directions inside the raft, cut the line connecting him to his boat, deployed the sea anchor and waited for rescue.:end quote

Seems like the boat didnt sink, according to the owner.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2013, 18:57   #245

I will say thus i was on my Piver home built tri on a mooring in a 60knt blow woke up to a crash and here was a brand new fiberglass 50' trawler on my little old plywood bows. They drug anchor they didn't set i sustained about $400 in damage and my home built tri punched holes in that trawler to the tune of $40-$50k. So i guess wood wins..
searunner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2013, 06:03   #246

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggone View Post
Moon Dog, Jim Brown custom design, 45' for $9,500.......key word Jim brown at Yacht world.
Says sale pending. Is this your boat?
1974 Brown Trimaran Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Old 17-04-2013, 06:08   #247

Quote:
sorry, where's the next cheap multi projects?
Here's one.
Jim Brown Searunner 31 in Sailboats | eBay Motors
Old 17-04-2013, 07:19   #248

1978 Cross Trimaran
Old 17-04-2013, 07:20   #249

This Piver was posted before but it's still up for sale.
41" piver trimaran
Old 17-04-2013, 07:25   #250

Not really a cruiser but very cool.
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/boa/3733437424.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gouegeon.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	59356  
Old 17-04-2013, 07:27   #251

A 33' Harris. I like this one.
SAILBOAT HARRIS 33' TRIMARAN
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	harris.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	59357  
Old 17-04-2013, 07:33   #252

An almost new 35' cat for $40,000.
35' sailing catamaran
Old 17-04-2013, 07:40   #253

Here's a big one. It looks like it might be one of those clinker built cats. I forget the name of the builder of those.
76' Catamaran Spirit of St. Christopher
Old 17-04-2013, 08:37   #254

Boat: Hedley Nicol Vagabond MK2, 37'

Spronk was the designer of the carib lapstrake cats, very good boats.

The Cross sinking is interesting because those bows only break if you hit something really hard at the right angle, usually a collision. I wonder if there was a previous repair to this area. The cheap way is to just fasten on another or the same bow, doing it right involves going back a ways into the double diagonal planking and rebuilding the layers after new stringers, keel etc....are scarfed-not butted into place. It also illustrates the need for water tight bulkheads in the amas. A good cruising set up has the ama divided into 3 chambers. I heard of another Cross filling and rolling because like this one the ventilation holes from ama to wing deck to main hull weren't closed for passage making when the ama hatch came loose in a storm. Most of these things are preparation and operation errors such as cutting the line to a floating multihull. Any Coasty will tell you it is easier to spot something large and with added flotation he wouldn't have needed the liferaft when inverted. Planning a capsize chamber in such a boat is part of being prepared. Jim Brown's "Case for the Cruising Trimaran" available from Outrig.org covers these areas well.
Cavalier MK2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2013, 08:43   #255

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
Here's a big one. It looks like it might be one of those clinker built cats. I forget the name of the builder of those.
76' Catamaran Spirit of St. Christopher
Having started and titled the thread, have you now changed it?
Neither cheap nor a project.

Nice boat.
nimblemotors is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cheap, paracelle