Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-03-2015, 09:32   #1321

Boat: Chris White Voyager 48
Re: Cheap Multis and Projects

Trying to investigate another boat on that site, I got the specs and this message:

Connect to POP for Photos

In order to see more photos, a video, download a brochure, and more, please quickly create an account. It just takes a second and you will have unlimited access to view information for this listing and ALL others on the website.
jdazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 11:01   #1322

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sondor View Post
No account?
You can view:
Ad yes -
Pictures no -

I created an account there a while back and if you wish to admire the latest and greatest in retargeting and automated emails - enjoy.
Yea, Right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redreuben View Post
The link totally works for me, full information and all the pictures.
I have no account.
Why would an advertiser make it difficult ?
Some personal computer glitch I would say.
I don't even see a link.
But I am not that worried.

I am not going to buy it anyhow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdazey View Post
Trying to investigate another boat on that site, I got the specs and this message:

Connect to POP for Photos

In order to see more photos, a video, download a brochure, and more, please quickly create an account. It just takes a second and you will have unlimited access to view information for this listing and ALL others on the website.
Yep. Whoopee
Old 09-03-2015, 11:57   #1323

Maybe they recently changed permissions, I looked at the entire ad and didn't start an account there.

If anyone is looking for a Wharram, it's an amazing bargain. Looks like it's in fantastic condition for only $20,000.
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 13:47   #1324

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post
Maybe they recently changed permissions, I looked at the entire ad and didn't start an account there.

If anyone is looking for a Wharram, it's an amazing bargain. Looks like it's in fantastic condition for only $20,000.
Sort of what I thought from the first picture. Thought I might tell an acquaintance about it but, well, fork-em. They're done.
Old 09-03-2015, 19:15   #1325
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
Having to create an account just to look at the ad is BS.
They will inundate your email with ads if you do sign up ..ask me how I know:tra sh:
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 19:27   #1326

Boat: Bristol 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by snort View Post
Here's one for Wharram fans. This looks to be in pretty good condition too.
If you likes creamsicles, you're really in for a treat!

Looks like the owner's website is here:
WHARRAM TANENUI FOR SALE | Just another WordPress site
and you don't have to sign up for spam to look at the pictures. Nice boat!
Sun and Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 06:37   #1327

Boat: Planet, Earth LOA∞

I'd like to suggest self destruct email addresses for needless registrations
10minutemail.com which stays alive long enough to validate email if needed.
And if that's useful, you may also like BugMeNot.com
I have no connection with either of them.
fcftampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 11:58   #1328

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

I made the mistake of registering at POP. The emails haven't been spammish however only annoying. Their search engine has no catamaran or multihulls category. S#&tload of powerboats tho.

Anywho back to our regularly scheduled programming. Here's a 36' Kelsall in Mex for $49K.
Latitude 38 - The West's Premier Sailing and Marine Magazine

BTW that 57' project cat is on the Bay area CL. It looks a bit like the Flyin' you know what. Probably not that bad. Who knows?
Old 12-03-2015, 14:23   #1329

And further down is:

20-FT NEW FLYING LATEEN-RIGGED CATAMARAN PROTOTYPE,

Only $10.000.00 down and 10yr term.

Yea, right.
Old 12-03-2015, 14:35   #1330
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
I made the mistake of registering at POP. The emails haven't been spammish however only annoying. Their search engine has no catamaran or multihulls category. S#&tload of powerboats tho.

Anywho back to our regularly scheduled programming. Here's a 36' Kelsall in Mex for $49K.
Latitude 38 - The West's Premier Sailing and Marine Magazine

BTW that 57' project cat is on the Bay area CL. It looks a bit like the Flyin' you know what. Probably not that bad. Who knows?

That Kelsall's been on Yachtworld for close to a year if not more. Looks like a nice boat.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 16:56   #1331

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
And further down is:

20-FT NEW FLYING LATEEN-RIGGED CATAMARAN PROTOTYPE,

Only $10.000.00 down and 10yr term.

Yea, right.
Yeah, I think he must be selling the business, I like the boat, I have a P cat myself which is painted the same orange as the wharram above, great boat but $10000? I think that rig is fairly sensible though. Theres an Itallian production cat called Latin Lover of all things that has a lateen rig,hard to see it as patentable though.

Steve.
clockwork orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 20:31   #1332

Boat: 31' Corsair/Farrier(RIP) trimaran. Lauwersmeer Cruiser in Europe canals. 19' Lightning

Hope its ok to bump Invictus but its such a great piece of history that it needs to find a home. See post #1299 plus several others that follow it.

I and 3 long time Northwest Multihull Club members took a look at it a couple days ago. The picture is not current; it has a recent, larger tarp covering the whole cabin and aft deck, but its been so dry this winter it hardly matters. JDazey is right; it would not take much work to clean up, check the rig, add an outboard and just go camp in it this summer in the San Juans and Desolation Sound. Then as a fall/winter/spring project pick away at the summers tick list.

Other than the history and cool look of the boat, what I like about it are the two nice queen bunks and large aft cockpit for lounging. Its packed with so much gear and sails that I didn't see a head but you could add a portapotty in the large forward vee berth…..

I think you'd get plenty of advice and maybe a little help from our club members who all want to see this boat rejuvenated. I heard that one of our fold "surveyed" it quite closely and said looked pretty good and ~$5K to do the interior……. Some one step up please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdazey View Post
Some of you may not know Invictus. It was at one time the fastest sailboat on the Northwest/Puget Sound. It's a Transpac veteran. The Northwest Multihull Association had a challenge trophy for the fast boat (not just multi) named the Invictus Trophy.

My wife and I are headed out to look at it this afternoon. We've helped Larry race the boat and know it can sail very well. We've also been around long enough to know that sometimes the worst thing a guy can do to you is give you a free boat.

Joe
ejlindahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2015, 07:16   #1333

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejlindahl View Post
Hope its ok to bump Invictus but its such a great piece of history that it needs to find a home. See post #1299 plus several others that follow it.

I and 3 long time Northwest Multihull Club members took a look at it a couple days ago. The picture is not current; it has a recent, larger tarp covering the whole cabin and aft deck, but its been so dry this winter it hardly matters. JDazey is right; it would not take much work to clean up, check the rig, add an outboard and just go camp in it this summer in the San Juans and Desolation Sound. Then as a fall/winter/spring project pick away at the summers tick list.

Other than the history and cool look of the boat, what I like about it are the two nice queen bunks and large aft cockpit for lounging. Its packed with so much gear and sails that I didn't see a head but you could add a portapotty in the large forward vee berth…..

I think you'd get plenty of advice and maybe a little help from our club members who all want to see this boat rejuvenated. I heard that one of our fold "surveyed" it quite closely and said looked pretty good and ~$5K to do the interior……. Some one step up please.
Any details about the boat? who designed it, who built it? construction method? when was she built? what materials? im assuming its a wood boat but is it plywood or cold molded? was it built using epoxy? is it fiberglass sheathed and again, assuming it is with what. I was amazed when I moved to the US 35yrs ago to see that folks, including some who should have known better actually used polyester to sheath plywood boats in the 70s.
I do admire the look of the boat, its a nicely proportioned tri and it would be nice if she were to end up in good hands. I remember seeing her in old multihull magazines.

Steve.
clockwork orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2015, 07:51   #1334

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

The old CL ad on Invictus is dead now so there is no contact info or any details available. I couldn't find it with a search on the Seattle CL page. Could you post the info and/or contact #. I'll be in Gig Harbor on April 10th.
Old 13-03-2015, 09:15   #1335

Boat: Chris White Voyager 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by clockwork orange View Post
Any details about the boat? who designed it, who built it? construction method? when was she built? what materials? im assuming its a wood boat but is it plywood or cold molded? was it built using epoxy? is it fiberglass sheathed and again, assuming it is with what. I was amazed when I moved to the US 35yrs ago to see that folks, including some who should have known better actually used polyester to sheath plywood boats in the 70s.
I do admire the look of the boat, its a nicely proportioned tri and it would be nice if she were to end up in good hands. I remember seeing her in old multihull magazines.

Steve.
Larry Christianson designed, built, and raced Invictus. The hulls are cold molded probably with resorcinal (sp?) and clad with fiberglass probably with polyester. Epoxy didn't become popular here until the late 70s when the Gougens brothers started promoting the WEST system. The hulls are in good shape. There are a few minor soft spots on the cabin top forward, and the windows need to be resealed/new H rubber. The daggerboard truck needs to be worked on, perhaps extended up to the deck so that water doesn't spurt up into the boat when you're doing 15+ kts

While Invictus does have a 5 gallon jug for water and a porti-potti, Larry was a racer; the interior is spartan. Electronics? Well just plan on starting over. The tiller steering is nice and light. Somewhere along the line, Larry added about 11' to the mast. There's not much wind in Puget Sound in the Summer.

Look through the earlier posts on Invictus. I think ejlindahl and I have covered the basics. Sue and I were not daunted by the condition of Invictus' hulls and rigging. We could manage the work, no problem. Converting it to a cruiser is where we got cold feet. None of the people who were around the multihull scene 40 years ago are that young now and we don't feel we have the time. Read ejlindahls's earlier post. Someone could be sailing a very fast boat this summer.

There has been an offer on Invictus for a while now, so it may not longer be on the market. OTOH, Craigslist ads do expire. The ad for Invictus has been renewed at least once. If you want more info, you can PM me and probably ejlindahl (Eric, I hope you don't mind being volunteered).

I might add that while Larry is still alive (I took the opportunity to visit him a couple of weeks ago), his racing days are over.

Joe
jdazey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cheap, paracelle